Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
NY/NJ special ed services

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 8:41 am
Posting anonymously because I dont want anyone to identify me, way too early in the process for that.
I live in a small oot community and we're relatively happy, but we dont get enough special ed services for our kid who needs it. Strongly considering a move to NY (our jobs are flexible) where its known the special ed services are the best in the country, but I am terrified at the thought. I'm a very oot person at heart, I feel like we do well in a small community where everyone knows everyone. We'd get lost in NY. Are there small pockets of communities further out from Brooklyn that are less known ? I would love to get any advice or hear about cities that might be good for us.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 8:44 am
I've heard of people trying Rochester for this. There are also smaller communities in Long island that may work.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 8:44 am
NYC is better than NJ in terms of services. You can look in all 5 boroughs, not just Brooklyn. Staten Island, Queens/Far Rockaway can all be good options.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 8:46 am
Bensonhurst is in Brooklyn but a small community. Staten Island is small and warm. Queens also has some smaller communities.

Fabulous

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 8:49 am
I think mill basin has a small community feel too. Just beware that while nyc has the best services compared to other places, over the least 10 years, each year has seen a decrease in services. I would especially think so since the budget issues with covid.

amother
Hosta

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 9:24 am
Please be aware of the following:

NY has THE MOST services awarded to kids who have been deemed eligible.
That doesn’t mean they have the most QUALITY
services.
As a therapist who worked with both NY and NJ schools, I can state that while the school-based services in Lakewood, for example, are much less (and sometimes - but not always - inferior), their evaluations are much better, and the services available that you can get IN THE SCHOOL (through insurance, private, title funding) are way superior to NY services.
I found the schools themselves (on a whole, not necessarily in each individual case) to be more knowledgeable than NY frum schools. Just a thought…

amother
Springgreen

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 9:55 am
NJ barely has anything. You’re best off in NYC. Even in upstate NY you’ll have a hard time getting services you need.

mha3484

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 11:10 am
If your a very OOT person at heart I read that MN has amazing special ed services and Minneapolis does have a community.

mha3484

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 3:02 pm
Depending on what the special needs are I have had positive experiences in Chicago. One of my boys has severe ADHD and another one seems to struggle with learning but he is still young so its up in the air. I really like how our schools have managed their very different needs.

Coffee beanz

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 3:07 pm
It is very hard to get services in nj. Lakewood may be an exception but you generally have to sue the department of ed which is very complicated and has to be done every year. Nyc is really good as the board of ed funds services in private schools and you may like bayswater which is near far rockaway and the 5 towns. Just keep in mind youll be sending to 5 towns schools.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating