Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Why it was better to be hit hard in the first wave than now.

chick567

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 10:03 am
I have been wondering why Hashem allowed jews to be very hard hit in the first wave. I know He has a plan and it’s ultimately for our good but I struggled. Now I finally am getting a bit of understanding that maybe being hit hard with the original coronavirus and getting antibodies from it, even though we lost so many, is actually beneficial and more protective for us. Everyone that has antibodies from that time is better equipped to fight off the new varients. As newer and worse variants circulate we are in a stronger position.
Everything Hashem does is for the good. We just don’t always get to understand it. It’s nice when we see it though. It feels good to know Hashem is looking out for us.

https://www.reuters.com/busine.....8-02/

Delta infections among vaccinated likely contagious; Lambda variant shows vaccine resistance in lab

Nancy Lapid
August 2, 20213:25 PM EDTLast Updated 4 hours ago
People queue to receive a dose of the Pfizer BioNTech vaccine at the Central Middlesex Hospital in London, Britain, August 1, 2021. REUTERS/Henry Nicholls
Aug 2 (Reuters) - The following is a roundup of some of the latest scientific studies on the novel coronavirus and efforts to find treatments and vaccines for COVID-19.

Delta breakthrough infections likely contagious

Among people infected by the Delta variant of the coronavirus, fully vaccinated people with "breakthrough" infections may be just as likely as unvaccinated people to spread the virus to others, new research suggests. The higher the amount of coronavirus in the nose and throat, the more likely the patient will infect others. In one Wisconsin county, after Delta became predominant, researchers analyzed viral loads on nose-and-throat swab samples obtained when patients were first diagnosed. They found similar viral loads in vaccinated and unvaccinated patients, with levels often high enough to allow shedding of infectious virus. "A key assumption" underlying current regulations aimed at slowing COVID-19 transmission "is that those who are vaccinated are at very low risk of spreading the virus to others," said study coauthor Katarina Grande of Public Health Madison & Dane County in Madison, Wisconsin. The findings, however, indicate "that vaccinated people should take steps to prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus to others," she added. In a separate study from Singapore, researchers found that while Delta viral loads were similar in vaccinated and unvaccinated patients, the viral loads decreased faster in the vaccinated group. The Wisconsin and Singapore studies were both posted on Saturday on medRxiv ahead of peer review.

Lambda variant shows vaccine resistance

The Lambda variant of the coronavirus, first identified in Peru and now spreading in South America, is highly infectious and more resistant to vaccines than the original version of the virus the emerged from Wuhan, China, Japanese researchers have found. In laboratory experiments, they found that three mutations in Lambda's spike protein, known as RSYLTPGD246-253N, 260 L452Q and F490S, help it resist neutralization by vaccine-induced antibodies. Two additional mutations, T76I and L452Q, help make Lambda highly infectious, they found. In a paper posted on Wednesday on bioRxiv ahead of peer review, the researchers warn that with Lambda being labeled a "Variant of Interest" by the World Health Organization, rather than a "Variant of Concern," people might not realize it is a serious ongoing threat. Although it is not clear yet whether this variant is more dangerous than the Delta now threatening populations in many countries, senior researcher Kei Sato of the University of Tokyo believes "Lambda can be a potential threat to the human society."

Third mRNA dose may boost antibody quantity, but not quality

Among fully vaccinated people who never had COVID-19, getting a third dose of an mRNA vaccine from Pfizer (PFE.N)/BioNTech or Moderna (MRNA.O) would likely increase levels of antibodies, but not antibodies that are better able to neutralize new virus variants, Rockefeller University researchers reported on Thursday on bioRxiv ahead of peer review. They note that in COVID-19 survivors, the immune system's antibodies evolve during the first year, becoming more potent and better able to resist new variants. In 32 volunteers who never had COVID-19, they found that antibodies induced by mRNA vaccines did evolve between the first and second shots. But five months later, vaccine-induced antibodies were "equivalent" to those seen after the second dose, with "little measurable improvement" in the antibodies' ability to neutralize a broad variety of new variants, said coauthor Michel Nussenzweig. Therefore, he said, giving those individuals a third dose of the same vaccine would likely result in higher levels of antibodies that remain less effective against variants. "At the moment, the vaccine remains protective against serious infection," Nussenzweig said. "Should we learn that efficacy is indeed waning for serious infection, which is not really the case to date," then a booster dose of "whatever is available" might become appropriate, he added. Should an updated vaccine become available that protects against specific variants, "then that would be the choice."

tigerwife

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 10:09 am
The question I have is, if a vaccinated person gets Covid, but perhaps a more mild version, shouldn’t they now also have the status of a naturally infected person?

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 11:28 am
My husband was hit in the first wave AND is vaccinated, and still tested positive this week. Nasty cough and fever. No worse than any other cold though. Not significantly more mild than the first time he got it. Didn't transmit it to the kids.
Good luck analyzing that one...

southernbubby

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 12:24 pm
If Lambda is vaccine resistant, why would a prior Covid infection help?

chick567

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 12:37 pm
southernbubby wrote:
If Lambda is vaccine resistant, why would a prior Covid infection help?

Because in people with antibodies from natural infection their antibodies develop into stronger and more effective antibodies which can handle variants. Don’t ask me how or why, that’s what the research found.
While vaccine antibodies stay the same.

Quote:
They note that in COVID-19 survivors, the immune system's antibodies evolve during the first year, becoming more potent and better able to resist new variants. In 32 volunteers who never had COVID-19, they found that antibodies induced by mRNA vaccines did evolve between the first and second shots. But five months later, vaccine-induced antibodies were "equivalent" to those seen after the second dose, with "little measurable improvement" in the antibodies' ability to neutralize a broad variety of new variants,

DrMom

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 1:41 pm
I think it is worse to have gotten hit in the first wave, because doctors were less adept at treating the new disease. Hospitalizations were longer, survival rates were lower.

amother
Hunter

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 1:42 pm
To the OP

That’s a nice thought, but try telling that to all the people who, ya know, died.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 4:00 pm
People who were hit hard and recovered might
- still have antibodies
- be getting Delta but a milder case
- have got the shot which might be helping
- have never got an actual positive test because testing back in the first half of 2020 was really difficult to get.

Just throwing out the reality of people who were hit hard in the first wave.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics