Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
When do you ask for flexible hours with job offer

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 30 2021, 10:23 am
I have always worked in Jewish offices who understand leaving early Friday. When do you bring up shabbos with a job offer and ask to come in earlier on Fridays or stay later other days to make up the hours?

Also I want to work different hours than 9:00-5:00 and have some days that I come in later and stay later and other days that I come in earlier. When you get a job offer, when do you negotiate this? Often they call you to offer you the job so do you do it on the spot over the phone or do you ask to meet again before you accept to discuss your schedule?

singleagain

Post Wed, Jun 30 2021, 10:26 am
A lot of it depends on what kind of job.... If it the kind of job that can be flexible with hours or do they need you 9-5 bc that's when ppl call and you need to answer phones.

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Wed, Jun 30 2021, 11:21 am
I've waited until they presented me with an offer and then called/met to discuss this. Then after explaining why I can't work late Fridays and that I'll need off for yt I always offer to work on their holidays in exchange.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 5:20 pm
I got a job offer and I'm starting right with all the holidays. Should I call them to discuss Jewish holidays and leaving early on Fridays before signing the offer? Could they reject the offer for those reasons if they think I'm taking so many days off right after starting?

hodeez

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 5:22 pm
I told my boss during the interview that I'm a Jew and I have restrictions. But when I'm working I give it đź’Ż and I can cover for NJ holidays

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 5:23 pm
I'd tell them I can't come in on xyz BUT here's how I can make up for it. I am super flexible, can work later, work on your holidays, work xyz. Show them why they need you.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 5:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I got a job offer and I'm starting right with all the holidays. Should I call them to discuss Jewish holidays and leaving early on Fridays before signing the offer? Could they reject the offer for those reasons if they think I'm taking so many days off right after starting?

Why don't you put it in email so you can have record of it as opposed to a phone call?

justforfun87

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 5:35 pm
With the way yom tov falls out this year I would ask for an Oct 1st start date. It's really really bad to ask for 7 days off your first month!

mha3484

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 5:38 pm
justforfun87 wrote:
With the way yom tov falls out this year I would ask for an Oct 1st start date. It's really really bad to ask for 7 days off your first month!

I agree with this.

ChutzPAh

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 5:40 pm
Tell them you are not available to start until October. It will look terrible if you start in September and have to take 3/4 month off or leave early.

amother
Viola

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 6:46 pm
Its too late for this job, but I always bring it up at the interview, so I can judge their attitude. If they are giving me a hard time about it, do I want to work there?

Apart from Shabbos and Yom Tov, I don't know that in would ask for flexible hours at this stage. Wait until you've been there a few months, and then you can judge if its possible to accomodate that.

amother
Lightgreen

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 6:54 pm
My Jewish company , mostly non Jewish employees, was acquired by a non Jewish company.

Day #1 I informed my new boss about Fridays and Jewish Holidays. I also nformed HR when they reached out to introduce themselves. They are handling it very well, but I do have to use my vacation hours for Yom Tov. In the past certain days we were closed, and it didn't count as PTO.

amother
Wandflower

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 7:28 pm
Asking for flexible hours because you want to (I.e. no religious justification) is asking a lot of any employer.

Flexibility of any kind really depends on what the job duties are. There are some jobs that can't be flexible since you can't perform duties at 6 AM or 9 PM or on a Sunday.

My profession is such that I really have never needed to be in an office physically except for scheduled meetings. However, every employer has wanted me to be at the office for normal office hours more or less. Where I get flexibility is on an ad hoc basis - that is if I need to be at the doctor or some other place, I just let my boss know.

I don't make up hours literally because my jobs are not 9-5 anyway - they are jobs that have stuff that needs to be completed so I have to work as many hours as necessary to do the job and if there are slack periods then I have more ability to take it easy because the job is getting done.

As an employer hiring someone I would personally be very put off if someone immediately demanded flexibility and concessions. Again it really depends on what the position is. If the job is task oriented, maybe it's not such a problem but if I were hiring an assistant I would be very upset if they weren't going to be able to perform duties within normal working hours since other people would be relying on stuff being done during those hours.

Also it depends on what kind of career you are wanting. In general people base a lot on first impressions in the first six months or so and that is when most people want to show that they are a real asset to the company and their department. Once you have shown that you are a team player and an exceptional worker, most companies provide more slack - at least in my experience both as a boss/supervisor and as an employee with my supervisors.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 8:14 pm
I’ve only ever worked for Jewish employers so I don’t know how it works in corporate. But I know that whatever I asked for during the interview was a non issue - while others who were working there far longer than me were told no when they asked - with the reason being “well, that was one of the conditions when hiring her (me), it wasn’t one of the conditions by you”. In other words, being upfront from the outset gave me a lot more flexibility than I would otherwise have been able to request
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics