Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Mikvah in Bidud
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

amother
Daisy

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 4:53 pm
Lovable wrote:
source?? seriously
Not everything needs a source - some things just need common sense!!!!! living with dirty diapers in the house for over a week is disgusting and dangerous to your mental health at least.
And show me the source for dina dimalchusa dina overriding mikva

I admit if I had dirty diapers I would sneak out at three am to the dumpster, if I couldn't get a neighbor to throw them out.

Lovable

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 4:58 pm
amother [ Daisy ] wrote:
The mikva ladies can want to make it work all they want. It isn't their private domain. They are PUBLIC workers and get their salary from our taxes.

Hundreds of women will be exposed to the 'generous' mikva lady who decided to let a quarantined woman dip. Who are you to say that none of these women care? In fact, I am sure some do. Almost every woman that I know would care very much.

Besides the fact, that this is the law. The mikva lady really wants to break the law? Let her build a private mikva in her home at her own expense. And let her hang a sign at the entrance that quarantined women will be allowed in, and anyone who cares should stay away.

The mikvah lady is doing nothing wrong by allowing in quarantined women for the last appointments of the day. The chlorine will purify the water overnight & the mikvahs usually get cleaned daily, so it shouldn't be an issue
Take a chill, and backtrack a bit to remember that mikva is not a simple thing to postpone, and aside from not being so simple halacha wise - it is also a personal feeling

amother
Daisy

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 6:00 pm
Lovable wrote:
The mikvah lady is doing nothing wrong by allowing in quarantined women for the last appointments of the day. The chlorine will purify the water overnight & the mikvahs usually get cleaned daily, so it shouldn't be an issue
Take a chill, and backtrack a bit to remember that mikva is not a simple thing to postpone, and aside from not being so simple halacha wise - it is also a personal feeling

Let's leave aside any ethical matters for now, or whether you think it is risky or not.

The mikva lady is an עובד ציבור. It's not her private company. She can't do what she want.

I happen to work at a public school. Can I do what I want? Like the mikva lady, the tax payers paid for my school and pay for my salary. Can I just decide that I don't want to wear a mask in class because it's stupid, and because most of my pupils probably don't care anyway?
Or can I decide I'm going to teach Yiddish instead of English because it's a holier language?

Can you see where I am going here? There are certain things that are outside the mikva ladies' domain.

And for the record, of course it can be an issue if a mikva lady is exposed to quarantined women. She is risking getting covid and infecting hundreds of unsuspecting women over the coming weeks. She can't just say 'I will take the risk', because she is not only putting herself at risk, she is putting all those who come into contact with her at risk. Everyone I know who works with the public goes to great lengths to avoid being in contact with quarantined people for this very reason! And she is actually going to be in the same stuffy windowless enclosure with a quanrantined person!

amother
Daisy

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 6:14 pm
Lovable wrote:

It's not merely personal once you are using public mikvaot paid for by public taxes.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Aug 04 2021, 8:06 pm
amother [ Daisy ] wrote:
That's the way it is in covid times.
Don't forget that for international travel, you can't fly directly from Montana to Israel. You are likely flying through a major American airport.

America does the same. For example,they won't let you in from France, even if you live in a tiny village there with no cases of corona.

I wasn't saying otherwise. I was just commenting on the "certainty" that someone was coming from a high risk place if they are obligated to quarantine.

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 4:43 am
There are plenty non rabbanut Mikvaot around. Ironically they are usually situated in neighborhoods that have long let go of corona drama. Ask the locals, you will get less skewed information.

mom4many

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 7:41 am
It’s perfectly fine to ask, as long as you are honest.

Mikvas have their policies, and while some would not allow it, there may be some that allow it after hours, with the necessary precautions.

Lovable

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 9:29 am
amother [ Daisy ] wrote:
Let's leave aside any ethical matters for now, or whether you think it is risky or not.

The mikva lady is an עובד ציבור. It's not her private company. She can't do what she want.

I happen to work at a public school. Can I do what I want? Like the mikva lady, the tax payers paid for my school and pay for my salary. Can I just decide that I don't want to wear a mask in class because it's stupid, and because most of my pupils probably don't care anyway?
Or can I decide I'm going to teach Yiddish instead of English because it's a holier language?

Can you see where I am going here? There are certain things that are outside the mikva ladies' domain.

And for the record, of course it can be an issue if a mikva lady is exposed to quarantined women. She is risking getting covid and infecting hundreds of unsuspecting women over the coming weeks. She can't just say 'I will take the risk', because she is not only putting herself at risk, she is putting all those who come into contact with her at risk. Everyone I know who works with the public goes to great lengths to avoid being in contact with quarantined people for this very reason! And she is actually going to be in the same stuffy windowless enclosure with a quanrantined person!

No I actually cannot see where this is going, Im not a mikvah lady, but am quite sure that most ML do not violate their workplace laws - why would you assume so?
and......SHE DOES NOT HAVE COVID

ora_43

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 1:50 pm
Lovable wrote:
No I actually cannot see where this is going, Im not a mikvah lady, but am quite sure that most ML do not violate their workplace laws - why would you assume so?
and......SHE DOES NOT HAVE COVID

How are you this confident that SHE DOES NOT HAVE COVID when she hasn't even made the trip yet or been tested yet??

She probably won't have covid. In the future, which is when this whole scenario is going to take place (although let's hope for OP's friend's sake that she won't need to go to the mikva after all, and will be spared the whole headache).

But there's a reason that overseas travel has been one of the most heavily regulated things this whole time. There's also a reason for the second test, it's because sometimes people test negative once and then test positive.

I get hating the rules. I also hate some of them. This one included. It's made my life rather difficult.

But the rules aren't made in a vacuum. There are tradeoffs being made. Travel is a nightmare, but at the same time the beaches are full, the pools are full, the restaurants are full.

If people hate the rules, it's better to push for different rules for everyone - and a different balance - rather than just ignore them.

Just speaking of the general average situation here (and not, say, 'but what if she's TTC and the doctor says this is one of her last chances and also she has a friend who has a private mikva in her basement and...' etc).
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions