Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
A school that's like camp

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 10:17 pm
Hey everyone . So my daughter is going into third grade and she has had a very rough time in school until now . I'm not sure what part of school she found hard cuz she is a genius , but she didn't get along well with the girls in the class and got frustrated fast in a classroom setting. I realized during the summer in day camp she is a different person . She's blooming socialy . She's so happy and so energetic and really it's night and day. This literally made me think that schools should give more extra curricular and make it less tense and more like a day camp. I know not all schools can be this way , there are those that want the tense serious environment with lots of homework etc. My daughter's school is pretty academic and not that into extra curricular. I remember she went on a trip with her class and it was her best day ever. She needs this . The school year is very long. I'm having anxiety already for her knowing she's almost going back. She came home from camp yesterday saying she wants to go to a sleep away camp next year and then a school sleep away camp ! I just love seeing her be popular and have her talents and joy shine through where as during the year she "hides" .
K it was just a vent. And if any lakewood mother does know of a girl's elementary that is just a super warm , not so pressured and more fun environment please chime in . Maybe I would switch... one day. Lakewood is tough .

amother
Hyacinth

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 10:21 pm
Sad that sounds very rough

Can you share what school she is in?

There are schools that are known to be warm and less pressure but obviously not so simple to switch. Bnos Bracha maybe?

amother
Celeste

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 10:29 pm
I had a similar situation but I realized it wasn't school itself that was the issue it was the specific school she was in. I switched her school and she's a different person. Can you send her to the school her camp friends go to?

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 11:14 pm
I was also thinking bnos Bracha

amother
SandyBrown

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 11:22 pm
For a school with lots of academic pressure and lots of fun, like camp, that you'd never send your dd to, Google Ron Clark Academy! Very Happy
It is so so cool.
I'm a teacher and wish I could be as cool as that school.
also google hope and wade king, who are teachers at his school.

I do try to incorporate song, motions, and costumes into my teaching...
Sigh.I watch their videos each summer and try to incorporate something minor into my teaching for the next year.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 11:31 pm
Thanks for replying ! Interesting about bnos bracha . It does sound like a great school . I know some girls there . I'll have to check it out and the crowd as well. She really thrives in a warm fun environment but I also want normal education. Doesn't have to be high at all but not low and uneducated... I'll see how it is to switch . It won't happen for this year as school is starting soon.

amother
Foxglove

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 11:40 pm
In the meantime, let her take mental health days maybe once a month. She can chill or you can do an activity with her. Just so she gets to recharge and know it's a day for her to make choices about how she spends her time and energy.

small bean

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 11:41 pm
Talk to your daughters school. Give them ideas..be willing to help carry them out. Have your daughter talk to her principals.

One of my daughters thrives in camp. She is in bnos esther malka, which is not a very fun school. She went over to the principal and had this idea of doing a artistic version of master chef. The principal worked with her and they did it.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 11:59 pm
I spoke to her teachers at year . They suggested she get a play therapist. I just think she can use a smaller homier school, a place that can build her self esteem more , and has tons of extra curricular. I know this may not exist. It's so hard , because I'll never know what the right thing is to do. I just wana see her happy and thriving the way she thrives in the summer.

small bean

Post Fri, Aug 06 2021, 12:17 am
Whyd her teacher suggest a play therapist in response?

amother
Clematis

Post Fri, Aug 06 2021, 12:35 am
My DDs are in Bnos Brocha. I can’t say enough positive things about the school. They love going! And after the girls graduate, there’s such pride! The girls learn through activities, songs, etc. they don’t even realize they are learning! The overall atmosphere is warm and loving and focusing on middos and HaShem. TYH for such an amazing school!

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, Aug 06 2021, 12:48 am
This is such a heart-warming thread to read.
Your kids are lucky.
And it sounds like your daughter is lichtig- so you are too. ❤️

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 06 2021, 1:01 am
Teacher suggested a play therapist cuz she thought she needed someone that she can talk to and do some fun activities while venting about her school struggles.
The struggles were not academic. She's brilliant. She reads tons and likes learning new things. It was more the fact that A. huge class and she never found her place. B. school doesn't provide much extra curriculum and she feels a bit stifled and not motivated. C. She needs to work on her self esteem . Separate issue.
Anyway if we do switch, BB sounds amazing. My only concern is , as much as I love the fact that it's fun and they learn in such a creative way , I don't want it damaging her for the long term like academics. She's smart. I'm getting the impression it's not academic .

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 06 2021, 1:06 am
We want a fun and camp like atmosphere for her , and something not so pressurizing. But some pressure is good . Its OK for her to be challenged especially that she's so bright. She can handle the academics I think (she's still young so idk how she'll be) as long as it's well balanced with fun and activity so she stays motivated. Not just borning learning . And she should be prepared for any high school . Also smaller classes would DEFF be a huge plus. Idk why lakewood fills the classes to the max!

small bean

Post Fri, Aug 06 2021, 1:06 am
My advice is to work on a school level extra curriculum..school's are hapoy to implement ifnthey don't have to plan

amother
Clematis

Post Fri, Aug 06 2021, 1:08 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Teacher suggested a play therapist cuz she thought she needed someone that she can talk to and do some fun activities while venting about her school struggles.
The struggles were not academic. She's brilliant. She reads tons and likes learning new things. It was more the fact that A. huge class and she never found her place. B. school doesn't provide much extra curriculum and she feels a bit stifled and not motivated. C. She needs to work on her self esteem . Separate issue.
Anyway if we do switch, BB sounds amazing. My only concern is , as much as I love the fact that it's fun and they learn in such a creative way , I don't want it damaging her for the long term like academics. She's smart. I'm getting the impression it's not academic .

They used to have that name but they really upped their game in that department. My daughter knew all the 50 states and capitals in primary through song.
My nieces that were there all went to Shiras Devorah with no issues.

DrMom

Post Fri, Aug 06 2021, 2:09 am
You can probably find schools that offer more experiential education (anthroposophic/Waldorf schools, Montessori schools, etc.), but very few that are within a Jewish frum framework (and even fewer in your immediate geographic area).

You may want to find some engaging extracurricular activities where she can really shine, and just give up on trying to expect anything from the school. I say that only because it sounds like an awful lot of work to get a school to adapt new teaching methods and philosophies, and it doesn't sound like Lakewood is a buyers' market for schools.

behappy2

Post Fri, Aug 06 2021, 11:29 am
If shes very bright you csn send her to a chill dfun school and supplement learning at home. You will never find a perfect school. You need to choose whats most important to you.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Aug 06 2021, 11:36 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

OP, it's quite possible that the issues you mention in A and C are actually related issues. And since she likes extra-curricular activities, getting her a few sessions with a play therapist might not be a bad idea, and can help with all three.

The classes are large because the schools are trying to accept as many kids as they possibly can, because there are girls who don't have a school. OP of the high school thread who thinks the classes should adjust to getting even larger - please read this thread and see what happens to kids who suffer as a result.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics