Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Marble bathroom vanity-bad idea?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 11:01 pm
I'm looking to replace my bathroom vanity and I love the look of the marble ones. How high maintenance are they though? Will they stain forever if I don't wipe up the toothpaste right away?

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 11:13 pm
It stains. My sisters had a table out of it.

zaq

Post Fri, Aug 06 2021, 6:58 am
Marble is lovely but very high maintenance unless it's sealed every few months.Otherwise it stains like mad and can be ruined by many common cleaning compounds such as bleach, vinegar or peroxide. Even plain water can damage the finish over time.

Engineered marble, which is simply crushed marble held together with a resin binder, is cheaper and easier to care for. Cultured marble, which is marble dust in a resin matrix, is cheaper still, and nonporous, but it does yellow over time, like all plastics. It lasts about 20 years. Real marble lasts forever unless something causes it to break, but it's hard to care for and the finish is easily scratched, pitted, stained and chipped.

Amarante

Post Fri, Aug 06 2021, 7:15 am
I have a marble counter as well as marble floors in the bathroom and shower.

I don't have particular issues with them but it really depends on your bathroom habits. FWIW toothpaste wouldn't "stain" marble but it might cause it to etch. Etching sounds scary but it is when the shiny polish wears off and so you can see that when the light hits it a certain way.

If you love marble there really is nothing quite as beautiful as it. The marble on my counter is not the stereotypical very highly grained marble but is very subtle which is what I wanted. I do have Calacatta basket weave marble on the floors which has more of a classic look.

Marble has been used in bathrooms and bistros for decades - even centuries and looks classic.

FWIW cultured marble is horrible looking in person. I had it in my bathrooms when I moved in and before I remodeled. If you want something that is less maintenance than marble look at quartz which has some attractive marble like patterns. I didn't like it as much as natural marble.

cookiewriter

Post Fri, Aug 06 2021, 7:27 am
I have a marble vanity countertops. I also have marble countertop in my kitchen. In the kitchen it’s a little bit of a disaster bec soooo many foods cause etching (basically the shininess goes away in that spot) but honestly no one sees it except me. Guests don’t see it. In my bathroom I haven’t had any issues. Looks just fine. I have been investigating somethinf called TUFFSKIN. Check out their website. They put something on the marble not just a liquid seal ent. It’s invisible. If u call them they send you free samples . They have Instagram too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics