Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
What age can I leave child home
Previous  1  2

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 12:32 pm
amother [ Daphne ] wrote:
jeez cant believe what I just read

You probably don't know but "jeez" is short for Yoshke.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 1:56 pm
Not before 10.

I'd actually rather leave me 8 yo and 6yo together rather than alone.
I let my kids ride their bikes around the block together. My 8 yo alone. My 6yo not.
I do leave my kids to grab something from my next door neighbor. But that's it.
They are too young.

I highly doubt your kid would be willing anyway.
I know mine wouldn't anyway.
I wanted to get something delicate from a neighbor. I would be gone all of 5-7 minutes. She wasn't dressed or ready to come with. She wasn't happy so I didn't go.
I do occasionally go to my friend in the afternoon w the younger ones and my 8 yo kid let's herself in after camp and calls me. Then rides her bike right over to where I am. (A min w a bike. 4 min walk) she actually feels really big and loves when I do it.
But we live in a very very low crime area... safe neighborhood. Residencial area.... Slow driving vehicles...
In the city I'd be more wary.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 4:36 pm
I guess it depends where. In Israel it is legal to leave a child at home from age 6. Not that people are doing that, but it is legal. I know kids that come home from school, from 1st grade, and are on their own for a while until a parent or older sibling comes home.
So, while many of you say no way, never, in some places it is legal and some parents do that.

lamplighter

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 5:56 pm
To run to a a neighbor of the corner to the schoolbus maybe.

To go someplace far enough to drive to for the length of a manicure. Um nope.

PeanutMama

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 6:06 pm
I would not leave a kid alone at home. Drop him off at a neighbor or friend or just take him along with you to the salon

hoboken

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 7:31 pm
I leave my 7 yr old home alone for up to an hour. I lock the doors, he has the house phone and can call anytime and knows to answer only if he sees my number.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 8:09 pm
Got it. Thank you

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 11:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Mature child, I want to get a manicure and there’s no school or camp this week. Is it safe to leave child home with phone to call me (he knows my number and calls me all the time) and a kids’ (filtered) iPad to keep him busy? He’s the type of kid that will just watch videos or play games for hours on end, so it would definitely keep him busy for the hour that I’m gone.

I would be a seven minute drive away from home.

Very mature 7 year old.
Is that totally unacceptable?

no way

amother
Arcticblue

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 11:49 pm
Honestly why not take him along. Find him a corner to sit in
I would not leave a 7yo alone

dancingqueen

Post Mon, Aug 09 2021, 12:03 am
hoboken wrote:
I leave my 7 yr old home alone for up to an hour. I lock the doors, he has the house phone and can call anytime and knows to answer only if he sees my number.

Why?

amother
Yarrow

Post Mon, Aug 09 2021, 2:53 am
I would allow myself to take a shower if he’s very mature.
That’s about it.

Success10

Post Mon, Aug 09 2021, 3:07 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I guess it depends where. In Israel it is legal to leave a child at home from age 6. Not that people are doing that, but it is legal. I know kids that come home from school, from 1st grade, and are on their own for a while until a parent or older sibling comes home.
So, while many of you say no way, never, in some places it is legal and some parents do that.

Yea, Israelis give their kids much more autonomy from a younger age. It was a bit of a culture shock for me when I first saw it. I'll never be fully Israeli in that sense, but I've mellowed with time. I'll leave a 9 year old at home with a phone while I walk to the store nearby.

amother
Burntblack

Post Mon, Aug 09 2021, 4:06 am
amother [ Yarrow ] wrote:
I would allow myself to take a shower if he’s very mature.
That’s about it.

Right - during a war, you don't shower unless there's another adult who can run with your kids to the shelter.

Were you talking about peacetime? Because that's a bit extreme, for normal times.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Mon, Aug 09 2021, 4:25 am
When I was 7 my mom had to take my sister somewhere after school that would take about half an hour and I didn't want to come. So she asked if I want to stay home myself and I said yes. Then I guess I got nervous so I went to the front door. My mom needed to go around the block to pick up another kid (carpool) and then just about pass our house again as she drove out of the neighborhood. I could see the car and she could see me if she looked my direction, but either she didn't look or didn't see because I was still inside the house, just with the door open. So she drove off and I went outside, sat on the sidewalk, and cried. My neighbor, a somewhat creepy older man I didn't know too well (he had older kids, youngest 5 years older than me) B"H just came over, asked why I was crying, and told me to go inside and wait for my mom. So I did. I left the door open though, and my mom got pretty nervous when she came back and saw the door open. B"H I was just sitting at the table nicely doing my homework by then, but we both learned a good lesson! But I still don't think it's the craziest suggestion- this was before cell phones, and that certainly would have helped!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children