Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Hospital bed 101

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 09 2021, 7:02 pm
Hey
We’re looking into getting a hospital bed for dc. Does anyone have one that doesn’t scream hospital? What can you tell me about that specific model- pros/cons?
Tia!

(Sorry it’s in this forum. Figured if it’s anonymous enabled I may get more replies and household- furniture etc forum is anonymous disabled)

cbsp

Post Mon, Aug 09 2021, 7:27 pm
You didn't specify age or why there's a need, so I'm just sharing links:

Some of the items here look intriguing :
https://www.rehabmart.com/cate.....d.htm

Jungle bed (there's also a castle version)
https://examtables.com/product.....D_BwE

Hope this gives some ideas... My mother in law has a daybed-like hospital bed in the kitchen for my adult brother in law to use so he can be part of the action. It has glass /wood "bars" instead of the usual metal, so it kinda looks like furniture...

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Aug 09 2021, 7:38 pm
Are you trying to get insurance to cover it?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 09 2021, 8:25 pm
cbsp wrote:
You didn't specify age or why there's a need, so I'm just sharing links:

Some of the items here look intriguing :
https://www.rehabmart.com/cate.....d.htm

Jungle bed (there's also a castle version)
https://examtables.com/product.....D_BwE

Hope this gives some ideas... My mother in law has a daybed-like hospital bed in the kitchen for my adult brother in law to use so he can be part of the action. It has glass /wood "bars" instead of the usual metal, so it kinda looks like furniture...

Thanks! the jungle bed had me roaring from laughter 😆
From the first link #7 might be suitable, have to look into further. Though I wonder if there’s anything available with less wood all around...

So, here’s what I mostly need (we currently have a little hospital crib that dc really outgrew. If anyone wants to “yarshen” it- we’re in NY and can arrange a giveaway).

-I need the head to be adjustable
-good protection on sides as dc has RLS and thrashes around in sleep
-bonus if bed is height adjustable for easier care, but dc is mobile so if bed is only available in fixed height then I need a reg height bed.
-bonus if there’s an iv pole attachment option.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 09 2021, 8:26 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
Are you trying to get insurance to cover it?

Yes

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Aug 09 2021, 8:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes

My experience as pediatric hospital social worker is that insurance only covers semi electric beds (meaning unlike the ones that are in the hospital that are fully electric) have your provider write a letter of medical necessity and RX with icd10 codes and have it ordered from a dime supplier

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 09 2021, 8:55 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
My experience as pediatric hospital social worker is that insurance only covers semi electric beds (meaning unlike the ones that are in the hospital that are fully electric) have your provider write a letter of medical necessity and RX with icd10 codes and have it ordered from a dime supplier

I’m ok with it being semi electrical or even completely manual. That’s fine for our needs, and easier with shabbos.
I just have to figure out which model would be best so I can get the ball rolling on the process...

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Aug 09 2021, 9:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’m ok with it being semi electrical or even completely manual. That’s fine for our needs, and easier with shabbos.
I just have to figure out which model would be best so I can get the ball rolling on the process...

I don’t think you pick the model. It’s whatever the DME company has. Call a large dME
Provider (like Landauer medstar) and ask what semi electric beds they dispense

amother
Garnet

Post Tue, Aug 10 2021, 12:06 am
Try sleep safe beds. I think they assist with the insurance process.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 10 2021, 12:26 am
amother [ Garnet ] wrote:
Try sleep safe beds. I think they assist with the insurance process.

Thanks
They look pretty nice too

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 10 2021, 12:28 am
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
I don’t think you pick the model. It’s whatever the DME company has. Call a large dME
Provider (like Landauer medstar) and ask what semi electric beds they dispense

Sometimes it’s easier to start by knowing which model we want. It worked out very well with other equipment we needed. Once we know what fit our needs we were able to work on lomn and bh get the right equipment.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics