Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Trend of Replacing everything in your new house...
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

amother
Freesia

Post Fri, Aug 06 2021, 12:48 am
amother [ Snow ] wrote:
This is all very interesting to read. I live in Lkwd and Bh was able to buy young (I got married with over 100k saved bh!! I’m super hard working) I bought and kept the home simple and furnished simply (I’m frugal and parents and inked don’t have $)
Lately a few different conversations have been coming up between work mates and people are very jealous of the young money. I’m seriously nervous got the Ayin hara on some of there families. Bh I’m very very grateful for what I have and I am not one to talk badly about homes going up around me BUT when a 35 y.o woman who works super duper hard (as does her husb) and they are just making ends meet when they see a mid 20s couple buying a 900k home on their block and gutting it completely and only putting in brand new furnishing down to the pots...? Yep. Doesn’t leave the neighbors with warm fuzzy feelings... yes u can do what u want but also be in tuned to what your doing and the pressures u may be causing ..

The adult version of Kindergarten jealousy.
Some people never outgrow it.

Last edited by amother on Tue, Dec 21 2021, 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Freesia

Post Fri, Aug 06 2021, 12:50 am
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
My friend was extremely hurt, when her daughter sold a "brown" Italian bedroom set that was 5 years young and was purchased for $8,000, sold for $20000

The young ones don't care for sturdy practical furniture that lasts 20 years.
They get cheap in style stuff and replace every few years.

Last edited by amother on Tue, Dec 21 2021, 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Cornsilk

Post Fri, Aug 06 2021, 12:58 am
SafeAtLast wrote:
The young ones don't care for sturdy practical furniture that lasts 20 years.
They get cheap in style stuff and replace every few years.

It doesn't make sense to buy newlyweds expensive furniture. They don't necessarily know what they like, and they will probably move a few times before settling down. And big brown furniture has very little resale value these days. Just because the parents like it doesn't make it right for a young couple. Let them start out with IKEA and buy something else later on, when they can pay for it on their own.

As far as buying everything new for a new house - if you want to do it and can afford it, go ahead. If you can't afford new towels, you're probably overextending yourself on the house purchase.

amother
Garnet

Post Fri, Aug 06 2021, 9:20 am
flowerpower wrote:
Now I understand why Yad Sheini is always posting good furniture.

Speaking of Yad Sheniya, they are a great platform to buy/sell stuff.
I recent used them for my furniture too. I already bought new, bigger beds on a different occasion and now that I'm moving I'm getting rid of my old furniture because it doesn't match. I'm not buying new expensive furniture though. I will just get a night stand that matches best, at ikea.

So that's one reason people don't take along their furniture. Or the room layout is different. Or the size doesn't work, etc.

Reality

Post Fri, Aug 06 2021, 9:41 am
amother [ Valerian ] wrote:
OK - cost of gas. Borrowed my BIL's van and did the transport myself. Barely any time spent scouring freebies - Lakewood has a Freebay and got them off there, very easy. And definitely worth it.

ETA - I did use a mover for the piano, and to take away my old one.

Somehow the people getting everything for free always have a relative/friend they can borrow a van or truck from. Then they tell the world about their amazing free finds.

If you would have to pay for a van or truck like the rest of us it wouldn't be so worth it, right?

I wonder how your BIL really feels about constantly lending you his van so you can collect your "free" stuff....

amother
Gray

Post Fri, Aug 06 2021, 9:45 am
my friend is moving out of state. It would be expensive to move everything and there's lot of second hand furniture in florida since lots of elderly people live there and then after they die their kids need to somehow get rid of their furniture. She'll do better off not bringing her stuff.

amother
Freesia

Post Fri, Aug 06 2021, 9:46 am
Reality wrote:
Somehow the people getting everything for free always have a relative/friend they can borrow a van or truck from. Then they tell the world about their amazing free finds.

If you would have to pay for a van or truck like the rest of us it wouldn't be so worth it, right?

I wonder how your BIL really feels about constantly lending you his van so you can collect your "free" stuff....

So you jealous of the old free stuff too now?

Last edited by amother on Tue, Dec 21 2021, 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Reality

Post Fri, Aug 06 2021, 10:04 am
SafeAtLast wrote:
So you jealous of the old free stuff too now?

I'm not jealous of anyone. I'm for honesty.

That poster was bragging about all the great free stuff she got. I just pointed out it's not really free. And sure enough, she is a major favor asker like I suspected.

I've gotten free second hand stuff before. But since I'm not a shnorer I paid for a truck. I got a good deal but I wouldn't go around saying I got it for free.

Sometimes if you have to pay to transport your free second hand stuff it's not so worth it anymore.

I know people like that poster in real life. They get free stuff off the backs of their friends and relatives kindness all the time and they don't reciprocate!!

Mom/Bubby/Morah

Post Fri, Aug 06 2021, 10:05 am
When we moved into a new house after many years it was time to replace most of the beds so we did and got rid of some furniture that did not pay to move. So many people asked me if I was ripping out the beautiful kitchen in my new house because “everybody puts in a new kitchen“. What

amother
Freesia

Post Mon, Aug 09 2021, 7:50 pm
Reality wrote:

That poster was bragging about all the great free stuff she got. I just pointed out it's not really free. And sure enough, she is a major favor asker like I suspected.

I've gotten free second hand stuff before. But since I'm not a shnorer I paid for a truck. I got a good deal but I wouldn't go around saying I got it for free.

Sometimes if you have to pay to transport your free second hand stuff it's not so worth it anymore.

I know people like that poster in real life. They get free stuff off the backs of their friends and relatives kindness all the time and they don't reciprocate!!

You are just making assumptions.
Many people have close family that has a van or a truck they can borrow for an hour or two.
(A father, a brother etc.)
And why are you assuming these are the kind of people that don't reciprocate?
Just because you don't like borrowing your van, doesn't mean everyone else minds.

Last edited by amother on Tue, Dec 21 2021, 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Aug 09 2021, 8:03 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
My friend was extremely hurt, when her daughter sold a "brown" Italian bedroom set that was 5 years young and was purchased for $8,000, sold for $20000

20000 or 2000?

And of course young couples should start with IKEA, it just makes sense.

amother
Oatmeal

Post Mon, Aug 09 2021, 8:07 pm
I'm moving soon. Never got a dining room table so will need that. My small apartment currently has one small couch. Where I'm moving to will have a playroom and living room so I will need more couches/coffee table for that.
I can and will take my kitchen table and chairs. However if I can afford it, I hope to replace them to match the look of the kitchen.
For beds- I'm taking all of mine but will still need to add more for the extra bedrooms. The master furniture set I will give away- the new house has closet space.

As per usual most things in life are nuanced.

amother
Narcissus

Post Mon, Aug 09 2021, 8:12 pm
Some things are practical- now that we had a guest room we needed beds for it. My daughter's mattress was in awful condition so it made sense to dispose of it in NYC where it's free instead of later on. We needed a new couch for the playroom since we never had a playroom before. Our dining room table didn't survive the move (leg broke) so it needed replacing.

I wanted a new bedroom set- a queen and a twin instead of two twins since we had the space- but my husband talked me out of it. As our family grows and I have more than 1 child trying to share my bed, I regret not insisting.

iluvy

Post Mon, Aug 09 2021, 8:43 pm
Reality wrote:

Omg what is this post

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Aug 09 2021, 9:53 pm
I actually totally understand op. I think she's referring to the trend in my community where kids have everything purchased beautifully for them before they get married including expensive furniture, for many thousands. Then when they move into their first home, which incidentally is often purchased with their parents assistance, they decide all their stuff is dated and start replacing from scratch, dumping perfectly good furniture. This. From young families 10 years and under with out all the wear and tear all of you are describing. Dumping all the beautiful stuff their parents spent blood money on because it's not up to date, it's not modern, clean, were doing custom closets anyhow so don't need my furniture, need modern linen, etc ... That is extremely disheartening. And I see it a lot.

amother
Lightcoral

Post Mon, Aug 09 2021, 9:56 pm
This is why I’m so glad we never bought expensive furniture as newlyweds living in rentals. We just bought after 10 years of marriage and are slowly furnishing we pieces we love. I already disliked the heavy brown old fashioned furniture back then and dreamed of modern furnishings but it wasn’t a thing yet in the frum community.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Aug 09 2021, 9:57 pm
I check the gemachs listings when I need something replaced and I take for free I have my own Mini van and I move the items with my teenaged son so it only costs me time and some energy. I find nothing wrong with it if people are giving away anyway. For those that buy new when they move they can obviously afford it and good for them. Everyone has different mazal. Most of those people donate the used stuff that I take for free so it's definitely a help. I am not sure how much of a "new" trend it is. I know when I was single around 15 years ago my parents replaced certain items when we were dating as it was considered the norm. I know people that moved that keep everything and other people that don't it depends on the person and situation. To each their own.

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Aug 09 2021, 10:57 pm
The Gitta Deals status
(347) 201-0287
This is a great status to follow
People post stuff they would like to sell or giveaway
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics