Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
"It's thundering outside...."- Is this grammatically correct

Amelia Bedelia

Post Wed, Aug 11 2021, 1:21 pm
Anyone know? I used this term and someone told me it's not correct. She claims it's like saying, "She's fevering," commonly used in chassidish circles.

crust

Post Wed, Aug 11 2021, 1:25 pm
Maybe she thinks that its wrong because it sounds like it's a translation from ס'דונערט in Yiddish but its still commonly used in English.

chanatron1000

Post Wed, Aug 11 2021, 1:53 pm
'Thunder' is commonly used as a verb both literally and metaphorically. 'Fever' as a verb is archaic.

octopus

Post Wed, Aug 11 2021, 1:54 pm
I don't speak Yiddish and I have NEVER heard anyone say fevering. Thundering outside is perfectly acceptable.

bernadette

Post Wed, Aug 11 2021, 1:57 pm
I speak Yiddish and I’ve never heard “fevering”

Amelia Bedelia

Post Wed, Aug 11 2021, 1:58 pm
chanatron1000 wrote:
'Thunder' is commonly used as a verb both literally and metaphorically. 'Fever' as a verb is archaic.

So "thundering" is definitely correct when used such as "thundering footsteps" or "thundering of horses' hooves." But my friend claims that it's incorrect when used while talking about thunder and lightning.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Wed, Aug 11 2021, 2:06 pm
Although I know Yiddish, I'm not that fluent in it and don't say "ס'דונערט". However, I guess it's possible that I hear people around me saying "it's thundering" and absorbed it through osmosis.

missknowitall

Post Wed, Aug 11 2021, 2:09 pm
According to Google it’s correct. So your friend is wrong.

daagahminayin

Post Wed, Aug 11 2021, 2:11 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
So "thundering" is definitely correct when used such as "thundering footsteps" or "thundering of horses' hooves." But my friend claims that it's incorrect when used while talking about thunder and lightning.

If anything it’s more correct. Using “thunder” to describe footsteps or horses’ hooves is a metaphorical borrowing from the original stormy weather type of thunder.

And to say “it’s thundering” is the same as “it’s raining” or “it’s sunny”. You can have an “it” in a sentence even when there is no subject.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Wed, Aug 11 2021, 2:14 pm
missknowitall wrote:
According to Google it’s correct. So your friend is wrong.

She claims that since Google gets so many search inquiries, the results reflect incorrect search terms, so we can't rely on Google results.

On the other hand, you're Miss Know-it-all, so I guess you must be right! LOL
(The thing is, she is too, so which one of you really knows it all?!?)

Last edited by Amelia Bedelia on Wed, Aug 11 2021, 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

daagahminayin

Post Wed, Aug 11 2021, 2:16 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
She claims that since Google gets so many search inquiries, the results reflect incorrect search terms, so we can't rely on Google results.

Ask her to bring credible proof for her claim and until then you absolutely WILL NOT desist from using the phrase. Know your rights!

zaq

Post Wed, Aug 11 2021, 2:56 pm
It's correct, but redundant, just like "it's raining outside." Have you ever known it to thunder INSIDE?

Like the joke "Close the window, it's cold outside." "And if I close the window, it'll be warm outside?"

Amelia Bedelia

Post Wed, Aug 11 2021, 3:21 pm
zaq wrote:
It's correct, but redundant, just like "it's raining outside." Have you ever known it to thunder INSIDE?

Like the joke "Close the window, it's cold outside." "And if I close the window, it'll be warm outside?"

I hear you. But the point was that the word "thundering" was incorrect. Even if I would have said "it's thundering!"

missknowitall

Post Wed, Aug 11 2021, 3:23 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:

(The thing is, she is too, so which one of you really knows it all?!?)

That’s not how it works lol it’s not a search term you Google and you get results, you visit legit sites that speak about grammar. She doesn’t sound like she knows what she is talking about at all lol.

pizza4

Post Wed, Aug 11 2021, 3:35 pm
zaq wrote:

Love this! Made me smile

chanatron1000

Post Wed, Aug 11 2021, 4:31 pm
zaq wrote:

Technically, it thunders both outside and inside because thunder is a sound that can be heard inside too. It usually doesn't rain inside, but unfortunately, that sometimes happens too.

vintagebknyc

Post Wed, Aug 11 2021, 4:34 pm
Pro editor here: it’s correct. I hope you bet her a dollar!

Sunny Days

Post Wed, Aug 11 2021, 6:38 pm
bernadette wrote:
I speak Yiddish and I’ve never heard “fevering”

I’ve heard this זו/ער פיבערט אוועק

zaq

Post Thu, Aug 12 2021, 12:28 pm
chanatron1000 wrote:
Technically, it thunders both outside and inside because thunder is a sound that can be heard inside too. It usually doesn't rain inside, but unfortunately, that sometimes happens too.

Not really. Thunder can be heard indoors, but it is generated outdoors. Ergo, it’s thundering outside. If your neighbor were playing a boom box on the sidewalk in front of your house, you wouldn’t complain about the loud music inside; you’d complain about loud music being played outside and heard inside.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics