Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Broken chicken bone

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 13 2021, 2:34 pm
Does anyone know how to tell if a broken chicken bone is kosher or not? It's not red or blue/purple, it looks regular. Does that mean the bone was broken after shechita and its ok? I remember learning it, but I can't remember.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Aug 13 2021, 2:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Does anyone know how to tell if a broken chicken bone is kosher or not? It's not red or blue/purple, it looks regular. Does that mean the bone was broken after shechita and its ok? I remember learning it, but I can't remember.

If it doesn't look bruised, that means it was done while being cut for packaging and is fine.

amother
Mulberry

Post Fri, Aug 13 2021, 2:47 pm
If the bone is broken and the surrounding flesh is red or purple and very bloody looking then take a picture and send it to your rav.
I did that once. It was a real shayla.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 13 2021, 2:50 pm
ra_mom wrote:
If it doesn't look bruised, that means it was done while being cut for packaging and is fine.

That's what I thought.
Thank you!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 13 2021, 2:52 pm
amother [ Mulberry ] wrote:
If the bone is broken and the surrounding flesh is red or purple and very bloody looking then take a picture and send it to your rav.
I did that once. It was a real shayla.

It's not bloody and doesn't look bruised at all. So I think it's fine. I trying to reach my Rav just to be sure, but I can't reach him.
Normally, I just throw it all out and I'll run to the store to get new, but I'm in the bungalow colony now and I'm not about to run around.

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 9:53 pm
If there is no blood it's absolutely not a problem. if it was broken before shechita there would be a lot of dark red, almost black blood.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen