Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
3 yr olds and Purim

yikes!

Post Wed, Mar 19 2008, 8:37 pm
My three yr old daughter came home today with a Haman hanging from a tree... this poor haman actually had a string around his neck!!! I can't help but wonder if this can damage my kid emotionally.
Then again, the story of Purim should be told!

Clarissa

Post Wed, Mar 19 2008, 8:41 pm
That is so far over the line! When our son was three they told the story at school, but at the end said that Haman and his family were run out of town and never seen again. Okay, it's not exactly the story, but it accurate, in a way, and the school felt that it was all that the children could handle. When they got a bit older they heard the more accurate version.

Why would a three year old need to see such a gruesome thing, not to mention to get a gruesome toy to keep? Horrible! If that had been me at that age, I would have had nightmares for a decade.

happymom

Post Wed, Mar 19 2008, 9:09 pm
I dont think thats an appropriate project at all!

yikes!

Post Wed, Mar 19 2008, 9:43 pm
This haman totally freaks me out! It's sitting on my dinette table waiting for husband to give his 2 cents to all of this. Thanks for replying and I'm happy I'm not the only one who thinks this is totally inappropriate although my daughter just casually said that they killed him and vashti.
I doubt she understands what "killing" means.

Here's another question: When can I tell her about little red riding hood??

apple24

Post Wed, Mar 19 2008, 10:17 pm
When telling my 3 year old about Purim, I explained that Haman was mean to the Jews... and left it at that, she is WAY too young to understand the idea of killing, death etc...

If my daughter came home with such a project, oh boy would the school hear it from me... I would be furious!!

amother

Post Wed, Mar 19 2008, 10:22 pm
And what do you say to this? My 3 year old daughter played "pin the tail on vashti" yesterday at school!!! She was really traumatized about a woman growing pimples and a tail. She cannot understand it. And she and my 2 year old son both learnt that vashti and haman were killed. I also thought it was scary to teach this to such young children.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics