Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Update:18 months old and not talking at all.
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 1:53 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
OP does DC drool excessively?

Have trouble chewing?

Maybe low muscle tone in mouth/tongue.

Try teaching DC to drink from straw to strengthen oral muscles.

Hi.
He does not drool. No trouble chewing, though he does gag sometimes when he has too much soft bread or challa in his mouth. I think that's normal though.
He had a hard time learning to drink from a straw but he eventually got it.

I did apply for early intervention and awaiting approval. Meanwhile I started him with private speech therapy.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 1:56 pm
cbsp wrote:
Just saw this post.

We did use the signs (at the time I bought a package called "Baby Signs" - came with a video, a book, board books for the child, and laminated card of key signs. Don't remember what else).

Since the goal was increased communication we always spoke when doing the signs - and any form of communication from the child was accepted (any sign, or verbal, or a combination) and encouraged.

The signs were phased out as the child's verbal skills improved. I do feel the signs greatly helped in many ways - I think a major component was reducing the frustration of not being understood...

Thanks! I will look into this baby signs thing.
The therapist started him with one sign, which he BH got the hang of. He does it now all the time.

Honestly I feel.like he manages to communicate pretty well without saying a single word. He points, makes urgent sounds, pushes or pulls me to the right place and basically knows how to control the situation.
He shakes his head yes or no.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 8:11 pm
Update:

Baby is now 19.5 months.
Still no words.
We started private therapy and he just got accepted into the EI program in my state. They (the EI) were concerned with several other issues aside from the language delay.

Meanwhile, the therapist taught him 2 signs. He is quick and on the ball with those.

It is interesting that when I try to articulate a word, you can see him staring at my mouth, then he opens his mouth wide and sticks out his tongue. Therapist was wondering aloud if he has an oral motor delay.

Wondering if anyone has insight or had a similar situation?

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 8:16 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Update:

Baby is now 19.5 months.
Still no words.
We started private therapy and he just got accepted into the EI program in my state. They (the EI) were concerned with several other issues aside from the language delay.

Meanwhile, the therapist taught him 2 signs. He is quick and on the ball with those.

It is interesting that when I try to articulate a word, you can see him staring at my mouth, then he opens his mouth wide and sticks out his tongue. Therapist was wondering aloud if he has an oral motor delay.

Wondering if anyone has insight or had a similar situation?
Have him evaluated by a myofunctional therapist. Also, address methylation issues.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 8:18 pm
Not sure if this was mentioned yet, but did you have his hearing checked recently?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 8:20 pm
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
Have him evaluated by a myofunctional therapist. Also, address methylation issues.

Um. Can you pls translate? This mother here is a completely ignorant if these things.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 8:22 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
Not sure if this was mentioned yet, but did you have his hearing checked recently?

It was mentioned by everyone as a first step.

It's on the list of things to do.
Unfortunately I've been having issues with my son's health insurance that I have been trying to resolve. So for now that got put on hold.
But honestly I have no concerns about his hearing.

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 9:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Um. Can you pls translate? This mother here is a completely ignorant if these things.
This is a brief explanation of myofunctional therapy https://aomtinfo.org/myofunctional-therapy/

Methylation is a process in the body that is essential to many functions but especially to how the brain functions, and disruptions in this process can cause many symptoms, including speech delays. The way to fix methylation really depends on your kids specific deficiencies and genetics, but most commonly it involves supplementing with methyl b12 and methyl folate. There is a small amount of evidence based research on methyl b12 bringing on speech in children on the spectrum.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 11:47 pm
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
This is a brief explanation of myofunctional therapy https://aomtinfo.org/myofunctional-therapy/

Methylation is a process in the body that is essential to many functions but especially to how the brain functions, and disruptions in this process can cause many symptoms, including speech delays. The way to fix methylation really depends on your kids specific deficiencies and genetics, but most commonly it involves supplementing with methyl b12 and methyl folate. There is a small amount of evidence based research on methyl b12 bringing on speech in children on the spectrum.

And how do we know if he is deficient? Is there a blood test?

amother
Hyssop

Post Fri, Sep 03 2021, 2:27 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Unfortunately I've been having issues with my son's health insurance that I have been trying to resolve. So for now that got put on hold.

Just so you know, even if he is hearing enough and smart enough to understand your instructions and understand the 'gist' of what you're saying and giving the impression of understanding, and indeed hearing you, he could still have some degree of hearing loss which is contributing to his lack of development in speech. I'm really surprised you're managing to get therapy without having checked his hearing. A child with moderate hearing loss is hearing the word in a garbled way and missing the softer (often the ending and starting sounds of the words) needed to be able to reproduce the sounds himself. So it could really explain a lot if he seems to be understanding but not repeating back to you, that it could be a simple hearing issue. Please try and get his hearing checked ASAP. It is easily resolvable but the longer it goes on the higher chance he would need more therapy for speech delay down the line.

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Sep 03 2021, 9:13 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
And how do we know if he is deficient? Is there a blood test?
Yes, you can test for mthfr, serum b12 and folate, homocysteine and methylmalonic acid

amother
Trillium

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 2:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I know a mother who said the same about her daughter, her daughter's hearing issues were discovered only in preschool. She couldn't hear AT ALL but because she BH is very smart she was making up for it in other ways and her mother didn't think it could ever be a hearing issue, only an ADHD/ hyper activity issue.

Please get his hearing checked ASAP, there should be early intervention centers that can help. At this age every week, every month, makes a huge difference.

amother
Tuberose

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 5:11 pm
He could be apraxic.
DS has it as a young age and didn't speak until getting speech therapy. He opened his mouth but sounds didn't come out.
It is a motor planning issue.
If that is the problem, insist on a therapist who is trained in prompt therapy

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 6:57 pm
amother [ Tuberose ] wrote:
He could be apraxic.
DS has it as a young age and didn't speak until getting speech therapy. He opened his mouth but sounds didn't come out.
It is a motor planning issue.
If that is the problem, insist on a therapist who is trained in prompt therapy

The speech therapist did float the idea of hom having apraxia. She doesnt think it's likely, but it's not off the table.

SYA

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 7:04 pm
One of my children had partial “hearing loss” from fluid in the ear. Was responding and making it up in other ways so we didn’t know.

As soon as the child got tubes and tongue tie was cut (tongue tie was discovered at the pre op appointment) the child starting talking. Within 24 hours you couldn’t tell it was the same child.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 9:09 pm
SYA wrote:
One of my children had partial “hearing loss” from fluid in the ear. Was responding and making it up in other ways so we didn’t know.

As soon as the child got tubes and tongue tie was cut (tongue tie was discovered at the pre op appointment) the child starting talking. Within 24 hours you couldn’t tell it was the same child.

How old was she?
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics