Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Gardening
To bury or not to bury? This is the question! (Time sensitiv

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 1:34 pm
Really need your help:

We just got a place upstate, and it is close to 2 acres lot. The yard needs cleaning of fallen logs, branches etc. A contractor gave me a quote for the clean-up, but he said that instead of taking the garbage with him, he is going to dig a big hole at the edge of the property, and bury all the dry or rotting wood there. (To take everything with him, will make this job significantly more expensive.)

This idea makes me uneasy for some reason. I tried to research it, but I found conflicting information online: Some sites say that this will actually fertilize the land and will be like composting.
Others said it can create emission of toxic gases, and that termites and other insects can create damage underground. I have to get back to the contractor to let him know if I am interested in doing the job or not.

Any thoughts or leads please?

amother
Hosta

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 2:24 pm
What if he is part of the Mafia and is going to dump bodies in there? Are you going to have someone there to supervise the dump?

Cookiegirl

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 2:35 pm
We have had this done with the dumping area being at the far edge of the property line, and not near the house structure. No issues so far after several years BH. The area is pretty much completely grown over at this point and blends into the forest behind our property.

SuperWify

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 3:30 pm
amother [ Hosta ] wrote:
What if he is part of the Mafia and is going to dump bodies in there? Are you going to have someone there to supervise the dump?

Really? What Scratching Head

English3

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 3:35 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Really? What Scratching Head

Thumbs Up shock Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

amother
Lightgray

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 3:47 pm
My parents did this, but the stupid contractor dug the hole in middle of the back yard. 20 years later there's a bowl in the middle of the yard.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 4:33 pm
Cookiegirl wrote:
We have had this done with the dumping area being at the far edge of the property line, and not near the house structure. No issues so far after several years BH. The area is pretty much completely grown over at this point and blends into the forest behind our property.

OK, I want to make sure I really understand: Did you just dump it at the far end? Or did you have a hole dug and have it dumped in there?

We have a river down at the far end of the property on one side, and a forested area that belongs to someone else on the other side. I could technically get rid it on the river side and no one will know (we are the only ones with access from that side) but it is not legal to dispose of waste into a (technically) public area.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Gardening