Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Mm theme interesting?
Previous  1  2

yo'ma

Post Wed, Mar 19 2008, 9:35 am
Quote:
Maybe it's different for you cause you have so few places to go that whatever you get is great for you.
There are actually lots of places to go, not fast food, even though the fast food isn't fast LOL and a lot of pple eat there (McDonald's).

I see though that you are a chossid, so you probably wouldn't even eat from that mashgiach.

BlumaG

Post Wed, Mar 19 2008, 11:32 am
the OP is truly in the purim spirit - I personally wudnt do it but ye it'd b FUNNY

Crayon210

Post Wed, Mar 19 2008, 11:33 am
I don't really think that that's the Purim spirit at all. Purim is about accepting the Torah out of love and being truly בשמחה about that and our salvation from the hands of our enemies.

Unfortunately, I think people have decided that Purim is all about tasteless humor and getting away with that which they can't during the rest of the year.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 19 2008, 11:37 am
Crayon210 wrote:
I don't really think that that's the Purim spirit at all.

I think people have decided that Purim is all about tasteless humor and getting away with that which they can't during the rest of the year.

which part is tasteless?

purim is "venahapoch hu," seems like the OP's idea is a "twist" on that.

tasteless is getting drunk and vomiting all over someones lawn. or saying, hey, its purim, my chance to dress up as a slut and my husband will dress as a pimp! its like... lets act out our greatest desires (dressing provocatively, getting drunk) under the guise that its mutar, and hope people will think its a "joke."

this is "harmless" - bacon bits? "animal" crackers, etc with kids dressing up as corresponding non kosher animals - little piggy, bear, etc? which part is tasteless pls do explain??

Crayon210

Post Wed, Mar 19 2008, 11:40 am
ונהפך הוא has nothing to do with pretending that you're giving people non-kosher food. It has to do with us being saved and dominating our enemies, with Hashem's help.

Animal crackers with animal costumes is cute, it's an animal theme. A theme that mocks Torah values and laws, even if it's all kosher, yeah yeah, is not appropriate.

Obviously there aren't halachos about this. I am giving my opinion.

GAMZu

Post Wed, Mar 19 2008, 11:56 am
So why is dressing like a "slut or pimp" like amother mentions any different from this? They are both against what Torah stands for. ונהפך הוא isn't about doing things against your Torah lifestyle. It's about positive from negative, NOT negative from positive.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Mar 19 2008, 12:13 pm
id rather not, gives some funny vibes...

chayitty

Post Wed, Mar 19 2008, 12:15 pm
it really depends on ur crowd....I would never do that theme....but, I guess there r all diffrent types of people and al diffrent types of crowds....I think ur in a very dark gray spot but not 100% black so...hmmmmmm Confused Confused Confused Confused

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Mar 19 2008, 12:35 pm
oink

ny_ima

Post Wed, Mar 19 2008, 10:04 pm
u can dress up kids as 3 little pigs (or as many as uve got)
and u can be the big bad wolf
and dh can be the grandmother
and the baskets of mm... complete the fairytale!

I second the oinks

elmofood

Post Wed, Mar 19 2008, 10:16 pm
crayon do you have a source for your opinion?!!!!!!!!!

Esther23

Post Wed, Mar 19 2008, 10:36 pm
chossidmom you're really making me laugh with all your oinks. LOL

ChossidMom

Post Thu, Mar 20 2008, 2:59 am
I just keep picturing kids dressed up as a bunch of pigs on Purim.

Can you imagine being the proud mama?

Oink.

mimivan

Post Thu, Mar 20 2008, 3:01 am
GAMZu wrote:
So why is dressing like a "slut or pimp" like amother mentions any different from this? They are both against what Torah stands for. ונהפך הוא isn't about doing things against your Torah lifestyle. It's about positive from negative, NOT negative from positive.

Never mind...I edited this. ..let's just say I can not for the life of me believe the amother was serious about this theme...that's probably why she posted anon...

Last edited by mimivan on Thu, Mar 20 2008, 3:07 am; edited 1 time in total

grin

Post Thu, Mar 20 2008, 3:04 am
PinkandYellow wrote:
bubby wrote:
Instead of spending so much $$$ on food that people throw up over, pass on to someone else, or throw out, give 2 simple ones and....(RADICAL THOUGHT HERE) give MORE metanos Levayonim. G-d knows there are enough worthy organizations who could use the hundreds if not thousands you ladies spend every year on weird, fancy nosh & exotic wrappings.

um, not to go off topic but I'd like to address this. I used to not do themes, then I started doing themes. why? cuz its cheaper, thats why. if you'd like to know how, let me know, I'll start another thread on it. btw, I fyou spend as much on matanos l'evyonim as you do on mm, are you also makpid to spend as much on matanos l'evyonim or mm as you do on the seuda? just curious.

well, I do.
but I would love to hear how themes comes out cheaper.

ChossidMom

Post Thu, Mar 20 2008, 3:04 am
Mimivan,
I got kinda in trouble for implying that someone sounded like a troll over on the "I must be lazy thread". Course the person I accused wasn't anonymous like here...

HooRYou

Post Thu, Mar 20 2008, 5:49 am
There is something deep about a MM filled with things that look treif but aren't (bacos, surimi, etc) it could be a reminder to look inside of something and not judge by the externals. That is nice.

I couldn't dress DC up as pigs though.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics