Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice Cocktail with Triangle K
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 5:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How does that make sense? Either a Hechsher is good or is isnt.

Its not 100 juice. If it would be it would be different.

Does anyone know Rabbi Ralbag's Shul affiliation?

Young Israel Avenue k

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 5:07 pm
octopus wrote:
There are many people that don't eat ou but every single bingle kashrus agency large or small or one man show will rely on the ou at some point.

You’re quite wrong. OU for meat is not as widely used or trusted as it is for other items.

octopus

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 5:09 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
You’re quite wrong. OU for meat is not as widely used or trusted as it is for other items.

You are still reinforcing what I just said.

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 5:10 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:

How does this contradict what she said?

octopus

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 5:12 pm
Maybe she meant to respond to a different post Dont know

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 5:36 pm
I know of people who use only the Ocean Spray pure cranberry juice NOT the cranberry cocktail which has other juices in it too

happy12

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 6:19 pm
Growing up about 30 years ago we used straight ocean spray cranberry juice ( not cocktail ). We also used Sunsweet prune juice with a triangle K. (My parents still use the prune juice.)

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 11:04 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
No, not all the frum stores carry it. I’ve never seen it in any of the frum stores.

Its in one of the biggest stores on 13th as we speak/write.

cbsp

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 11:35 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
Which part is not emes?

I (well, DH) was responding to this statement posted by a different amother('s DH):

"Ocean Spray cranberry juice is run on a different line than any other triangle K juice (and non-juice) product."

At the plant my husband inspects for a different product, the Ocean Spray Cranberry juice is not run on a different line. The policy of the agency is to kasher the line after any Ocean Spray products are run.

cbsp

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 11:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Its in one of the biggest stores on 13th as we speak/write.

Does the store itself have a mashgiach/hashgacha? Maybe the question can be directed to that agency...

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 11:41 pm
cbsp wrote:
Does the store itself have a mashgiach/hashgacha? Maybe the question can be directed to that agency...

Afaik groceries dont have Mashgichim unless theyre packing stuff on premises .

yamz

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 1:16 pm
I don't have any horses in this race, but for the sake of accuracy, I thought I should point this out. I think that posters are confusing various products, and maybe some of them are not produced by Ocean Spray at all.

Ocean Spray 100% Cranberry Juice is just that - cranberry juice, period. This is usually more expensive.

Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice Cocktail - a product sold by some Jewish grocery stores. This beverage contains: water, cranberry juice concentrate, sugar, vitamin C, and vegetable juice for color.

NEITHER of these products contain any grape juice.

Ocean Spray DOES produce other beverages that contain grape juice. I do not know whether or not they are kosher certified, but they are not sold in Boro Park grocery stores.

HEIMISHE brands of Cranberry Juice Cocktail often DO contain grape juice. They are not produced by Ocean Spray.

Reality

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 1:39 pm
There are some frum stores that carry only heimish brands. Those don't carry ocean spray. But plenty of frum stores carry non jewish brands with a hechsher and they all carry ocean spray and they don't carry other products with a triangle k.

Reality

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 1:41 pm
cbsp wrote:
DH is pretty blunt, so soften this as needed:

Just because it was drunk, doesn't mean it was right to drink. The fact is that other products are run on these lines. The fact is mainstream reliable Kashrus agencies will NOT allow these products.

(I'll add carefully: that as your father is in the kashrus world, he knows that circumstances and processes have changed through the years - sometimes making things easier kashrus wise - but sometimes complicating things. Relying on what was done by the giants of yesteryear in no way implies that they were wrong - but it may warrant looking into how things are done today to see if it's still applicable)

Don't worry not insulted! My father is retired now from the kashrus world for quite some time so he knows he isn't the most up to date.

I will say that when I repeated this conversation to him he said maybe we shouldn't drink it anymore...

octopus

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 1:47 pm
Well of all the imamother conversations, this one was definitely interesting and worthwhile!!

Reality

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 1:51 pm
octopus wrote:
Well of all the imamother conversations, this one was definitely interesting and worthwhile!!

Agree! Nice to have an intelligent conversation that doesn't turn into a squabble!

cbsp

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 3:30 pm
yamz wrote:
I don't have any horses in this race, but for the sake of accuracy, I thought I should point this out. I think that posters are confusing various products, and maybe some of them are not produced by Ocean Spray at all.

Ocean Spray 100% Cranberry Juice is just that - cranberry juice, period. This is usually more expensive.

Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice Cocktail - a product sold by some Jewish grocery stores. This beverage contains: water, cranberry juice concentrate, sugar, vitamin C, and vegetable juice for color.

NEITHER of these products contain any grape juice.

Ocean Spray DOES produce other beverages that contain grape juice. I do not know whether or not they are kosher certified, but they are not sold in Boro Park grocery stores.

HEIMISHE brands of Cranberry Juice Cocktail often DO contain grape juice. They are not produced by Ocean Spray.

The products themselves may not contain grape juice (at least not listed on the label - they are not always required to list ingredients below a certain percentage of a product) but how do you know it wasn't packed hot on a line that previously processed grape or other non kosher products?

When I grew up many centuries ago we relied on ingredient listing on labels. If it didn't say outright pig (or gelatin or glycerin) we figured "how bad could it be"

But then industries got more sophisticated and kashrus agencies realized there's way more than just the ingredient list that can determine whether a product is actually kosher.

cbsp

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 3:32 pm
Reality wrote:
Don't worry not insulted! My father is retired now from the kashrus world for quite some time so he knows he isn't the most up to date.

I will say that when I repeated this conversation to him he said maybe we shouldn't drink it anymore...

Whew, BH.

My husband will be happy to hear your father's reaction.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen