Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Giving up secular books for Elul
Previous  1  2

Do you try to give up secular literature for Elul?
I never read secular literature  
 20%  [ 15 ]
I see nothing wrong with secular literature so wouldn't give it up  
 45%  [ 33 ]
I understand your desire to improve but wouldn't do it myself  
 21%  [ 16 ]
I am also trying but it's a struggle  
 10%  [ 8 ]
I firmly refrain for Elul/ Tishrei  
 1%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 73

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 12:34 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Quote:
Did you mean Lent?

Very funny.

My point is to try to improve for Aseres Yemei Teshuvah (that much I hope I can do) but to start in Elul.

Actually in past years I've stayed off imamother for Elul & Tishrei. Just trying to be more spiritually focused, less time-wasting etc.

In other words, trying to be the person I wish I could be but am not there yet, but at least for this period of Teshuva I can show Hashem that I am trying to be more.

So I thought I'd see if others relate or not.

Why are so many of ima crowd into su me ra
As opposed to aseh tov

How about every of elul read Mesilas Yesharim or a musssr sefer that talks to you for a hslf hour
Do one chesed a day and keep a diary

cbsp

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 12:37 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
As opposed to aseh tov

How about every of elul read Mesilas Yesharim or a musssr sefer that talks to you for a hslf hour

There's value in getting rid of the sheretz while toiveling...

Kol hakavod ladies!

finallyamommy

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 12:50 am
It’s not so black and white. Maybe OP is striving towards an ideal in her community but isn’t there yet herself. There is absolutely such a thing as raising one’s standards just this time of year. Better that than not at all, no?

amother
Crocus

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 12:55 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
As opposed to aseh tov

I agree 100%

I think it is because if you are brought up with a fire and brimstone philosophy, it is about avoiding punishment as opposed to seeking to be close to Hashem.

My first instinct when I read the title topic was also is Elul Lent?
Why would you give something up for a month just to deprive yourself? Does Hashem want you to be deprived? Not my G-d. If you feel that you should not be reading secular books (I don’t agree with that philosophy, but I hear it) then you should say that you should give it up (Bli neder) permanently. Elul is a time to focus on our relationship with Hashem but it is not about deprivation, it’s about growth, permanent changes not fake temporary ones to kiss up to HKBH before the Yamim noraim.

Maybe I am just coming from a different place.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 4:53 am
Personally, I don't hold that there is any problem with (well chosen) secular books. They are a lot cleaner and more valuable than a lot of content on the internet, for an example.
As I am planning to continue reading them all year round, it would feel hypocritical to me to stop them for a month. Whatever improvements I need to make in my life, I always aim to make them permanent. While I sometimes don't live up to it, at least I try to.
If I know ahead of time that I'm not going to keep it, or I think there's nothing wrong with it to begin with, then I don't do a one month stint, either.
Hashem can't be bribed by fake extra good behavior before the day of judgement. He knows what's in our heart.
On the other hand, if someone feels that a month of taking something on could lead to a permanent change, then it would be justified.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 8:42 am
amother [ Papayawhip ] wrote:
Sorry, I don't buy it. Teshuva doesn't mean stopping to do something for a month and then continuing to do it. Part of teshuva is kabbalah al ha'asid. And if one thinks that reading secular literature is something they need to do teshuva for, they shouldn't be doing it the rest of the year either.

Someone I know gives up social networking during the aseres yemei teshuva. She says it makes her more thoughtful of how she uses her time.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 8:44 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
As opposed to aseh tov

Maybe because they realize, like my friend, that she's wasting a lot of time and wants to work on it.
But sure, if someone realizes that she really needs to work on emunah, a sefer like you suggest is excellent. (I just finally finished Rabbi Kirzner's Making Sense of Suffering.)

I'm going to use this post to repeat: Make a sustainable kabbala. Even short term, like for a month.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 8:46 am
amother [ Crocus ] wrote:
I agree 100%

I think it is because if you are brought up with a fire and brimstone philosophy, it is about avoiding punishment as opposed to seeking to be close to Hashem.

My first instinct when I read the title topic was also is Elul Lent?
Why would you give something up for a month just to deprive yourself? Does Hashem want you to be deprived? Not my G-d. If you feel that you should not be reading secular books (I don’t agree with that philosophy, but I hear it) then you should say that you should give it up (Bli neder) permanently. Elul is a time to focus on our relationship with Hashem but it is not about deprivation, it’s about growth, permanent changes not fake temporary ones to kiss up to HKBH before the Yamim noraim.

Maybe I am just coming from a different place.

That's why I stressed how is one filling the void?
And it's not kissing up to Hashem before RH. It's engaging in an experiment and seeing what one can learn about herself from it.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 2:16 pm
Thank you op for posting about this. I struggle with what I read. I read a lot of books and I have ups and downs about the type of books I read. A while ago I deleted a bunch of romance books with a lot of explicit relations. I was recently thinking about putting them back on and you've inspired me not to.

To all those posters who don't seem to understand, whenever I've managed to stop reading for a few days I feel the difference and I can see the 'narishkeit' of the type of books I read. It's an unhealthy addiction and even to stop for a while is still something.

I'm not on the level to try and stop reading all secular books but I can understand where op is coming from.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 5:04 pm
Yasher Koach, I'm surprised how many people are critical of OP. Every person should encourage their friends who strive for growth in the areas they choose. I am inspired. I don't read secular novels (I would read biographies, histories, self-help...) but I think I'll try not to read frum novels ("frovels") during this period. I do agree that many of them are completely worthless but definitely wayyyyyy better content then secular romance (yes, I have read some unfortunately).
The main gain is that I will end up reading books like biographies, inspiration, mussar that will definitely be a better preparation for Rosh Hashana.
May we all be Zoche to grow in our own way!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur