Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Cleaning lady throws everything on the floor in the garbage

Lakewood2

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 10:00 pm
How do people deal with cleaning people throwing away important things.
I know they shouldn't be on the floor but it's a house full of kids and there are things on the floor that should be picked up instead of thrown away.
Also they're forever throwing out papers with important notes scribbled on them.

I have a friend who goes through the garbage whenever her cleaning lady leaves but are there other options?

yaye

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 10:05 pm
Make her put whatever she will throw out in a separate bag and go through that bag. Then you don’t have to go through all the garbage. I’ve had to do that with some cleaning ladies and found lots of game pieces…

missknowitall

Post Mon, Aug 16 2021, 10:06 pm
It's your house set the rules. Give her a specific spot, like a drawer or counter, that the items should be placed on. Tell her she can't throw anything out.

zaq

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 9:28 am
Lakewood2 wrote:

Also they're forever throwing out papers with important notes scribbled on them.

?

Sorry, but if your papers have such important notes on them, you should be putting them away in a safe place before your cleaner arrives. Your cleaner hasn't the time to peruse your scattered papers and determine what's important and what's trash. Your cleaner may not even be able to read. Safeguarding your important papers is YOUR job. Cleaners clean; they don't organize.

Cleaning up before the cleaner arrives sounds absurd, but it's an important task. If you leave valuable things lying around looking like trash, any loss is on your head.

essie14

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 9:51 am
zaq wrote:
Sorry, but if your papers have such important notes on them, you should be putting them away in a safe place before your cleaner arrives. Your cleaner hasn't the time to peruse your scattered papers and determine what's important and what's trash. Your cleaner may not even be able to read. Safeguarding your important papers is YOUR job. Cleaners clean; they don't organize.

Cleaning up before the cleaner arrives sounds absurd, but it's an important task. If you leave valuable things lying around looking like trash, any loss is on your head.

This. If my cleaner wouldn't throw things in the trash I would be pretty upset. of course I take the time to safeguard anything important before she comes.
How in the world should someone else know what scribbles are important and what was done by your 5 year old??

groovy1224

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 9:52 am
zaq wrote:

I disagree. There is no reason she can't be asked to simply gather any papers into a neat pile. No one's asking her to peruse anything.

SYA

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 9:53 am
I've always told them to put the papers and toys in a pile on the table as there may be important papers or game pieces. I show them by example a puzzle piece found under the couch is placed on the table. I put away the papers and game/toy pieces myself

Shuly

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 9:53 am
My cleaner collects all papers and leaves them in a neat pile on the table.

Amarante

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 10:09 am
One obvious thing is to take a few minutes before your cleaner comes and clump things together so that it is easier for her to differentiate.

My cleaning lady would never toss any papers that are on a table or a desk. She stacks them so tell her not to toss any papers at all. If I want papers or mail or circulars tossed I put them in a large trash bag.

I am not suggesting that people clean before the cleaning lady comes but it really helps you have a more efficient cleaning lady if you take a few minutes and get rid of the obvious clutter. It is much easier to swipe down a counter that doesn't have a lot of stuff on it to go around. Or if you are vacuuming, it is easier to not have many obstacles especially stuff that clearly doesn't belong on the floor like papers and toys.

boysrus

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 11:19 am
put a box on the table or sofa.
tell the cleaning lady to put everything she finds on the floor there if it's not dust or old food particles. tell her that even paper and receipts should go in the box.

imaima

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 11:23 am
Lakewood2 wrote:
I know they shouldn't be on the floor but it's a house full of kids and there are things on the floor that should be picked up instead of thrown away.

I have a friend who goes through the garbage whenever her cleaning lady leaves but are there other options?

Give her a container for all things from the floor.

kenz

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 11:26 am
essie14 wrote:
This. If my cleaner wouldn't throw things in the trash I would be pretty upset. of course I take the time to safeguard anything important before she comes.
How in the world should someone else know what scribbles are important and what was done by your 5 year old??

Exactly. I used to have a cleaning lady that would take random items and pile them on paper towels. When she left I had a paper towel with a pile of toys, a paper towel with a pile of kitchen items, and yes, a paper towel with things that should have gone into the garbage. It drove me mad. If your stuff is so important to you, put it aside before your cleaning lady comes. Of course if she's throwing away things like toys and utensils that obviously should not get thrown away, you need to speak to her about it.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 11:33 am
Lakewood2 wrote:

When my cleaning lady was throwing things away, it was because she was stealing from me. She would steal something and then just throw everything away rather than actually clean up, so that she would be done faster.

solo

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 1:08 pm
I throw everything on the floor in the garbage too. If it’s something of value I expect it’s owner to take care of it. If it’s left on the floor like trash I assume that’s what it is

Elfrida

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 2:15 pm
solo wrote:
I throw everything on the floor in the garbage too. If it’s something of value I expect it’s owner to take care of it. If it’s left on the floor like trash I assume that’s what it is

That's a valid attitude with teenagers who are old enough to be responsible for their own property. However, you can't expect a two year old or even a five year old to take full responsibility for their own property.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 2:29 pm
It is important to organize before the cleaner comes. It allows them to focus on the cleaning (and for you to have piece of mind knowing where things are).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics