Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
SNAP savings limit

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 3:15 pm
DH and I are thinking of cutting down our hours at work because of yesterdays government announcement that there is a permanent 25% increase in SNAP allowances but I remember hearing that you may not have more than a few thousand in cash assets and be on SNAP. Is that still correct? Does it include investment accounts? I can’t imagine all the people I know on SNAP have less than a few thousand in cash assets. Is there a LEGAL way to work around it?

amother
Maize

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 3:16 pm
No I don't think there's a limit

watergirl

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 3:17 pm
I'm not following. You want to cut back on your work hours? Why?

amother
Bellflower

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 3:19 pm
Popcorn

amother
Impatiens

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 3:20 pm
You know, this is APPALLING. I am on SNAP, I would kill to have enough work to pay for my own groceries.

You have enough work and money in the bank and yet you want to work fewer hours so you can get government benefits?

Are you for real?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 3:22 pm
watergirl wrote:
I'm not following. You want to cut back on your work hours? Why?

Because I came to the realization that I may be a lot better off financially on programs than working

amother
Bellflower

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 3:26 pm
OP if you need such basic info I’m sure it’s easily available on the government SNAP website. I kindly suggest you take your question elsewhere, not imamother

amother
Tanzanite

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 3:29 pm
amother [ Impatiens ] wrote:
You know, this is APPALLING. I am on SNAP, I would kill to have enough work to pay for my own groceries.

You have enough work and money in the bank and yet you want to work fewer hours so you can get government benefits?

Are you for real?

When you're close enough to the limits, sometimes the hour or two that knocks you over doesn't pay for both babysitting and lost benefits. We've discussed many times the issue with this system, but it's true. I've turned down extra hours because the extra $500 a month would knock me out of chip insurance for my kids without covering private insurance for them.

Einikel

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 3:29 pm
amother [ Impatiens ] wrote:

Are you for real?

Yup the government making it more worthwhile to work less is appalling.

watergirl

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 3:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Because I came to the realization that I may be a lot better off financially on programs than working

Ok, I understand. I was in this place at one point when I got a significant raise at work and no longer qualified for medical assistance. My husband and I thought on it, discussed it with our rav, and really had a heart to heart. The thing about these programs is that they were never meant to be a way of life; they are a stop-gap and are meant to help people get up and out of their financial position. When people become dependent on the programs, it is a bad thing. That is the reason why people are very against these raises in funding for programs - because it makes it so that people have no reason to work; they are making more NOT working. This is not how the programs were ever intended to be used and yet here we are. My husband and I had a tight transition period and BH we are a bit better now.

You have to decide for yourself what you feel is the most yashardig way to move forward. Programs are a short-sighted way of life. Good for now, but bad for the long run.

Wishing you the best, OP. This is never easy.

And posting this part as a mod - I will remove any political comments. Start a spin-off in the politics forum if you wish to go in that direction.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 4:31 pm
Ignoring any ethical discussions, qualifying for SNAP doesn't mean you automatically mean you get the full allotment. Right now I believe they are because of covid, but that's temporary. So even if the max allotment is increased, that doesn't mean you'd get it all.

The savings limit is not factored in anymore from what I've heard from those who work in these offices.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics