Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Do all camps do laundry like this?

happy chick

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 7:06 pm
My boys came home from camp w all their whites turned gray. They said that each kid sends his own laundry in his own bag and everything gets washed together. Is that normal?

tigerwife

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 7:21 pm
That’s what I remember from camp.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 7:22 pm
Yup everything gets washed together. But they should have used a cold temp to wash so hopefully not fully grey, just a bit dull.

shmoosh

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 7:22 pm
For the future, I would say to send some color block laundry sheets along and tell him to put one in his laundry bag before giving it in.

thanks

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 7:59 pm
What are color block sheets?

When I was in camp many many years ago, we had to separate the whites and colors. The whole bunk's laundry was washed together in those days.

sky

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 8:00 pm
My son’s camp did that.

When I went to camp we sorted our laundry by dark and whites and combined everyone’s in one bag.
It was horrible sorting through everyone stuff to find your own clothing. And sometimes embarrassing if your underwear bag opened.

I think washing each boys stuff alone makes a lot more sense.

Last edited by sky on Tue, Aug 17 2021, 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

happy chick

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 8:00 pm
thanks wrote:

When I was in camp many many years ago, we had to separate the whites and colors. The whole bunk's laundry was washed together in those days.

This is what I remember

seeker

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 8:06 pm
Yeah they're not exactly going to sort through the laundry of 500 kids... sorry. When I went to camp it was with mostly clothes that could stand to get a little ruined, and the nicer things (Shabbos clothes etc) I was instructed to just save it until I got home and not give it to camp laundry.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 8:25 pm
thanks wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/Shout-C.....db781

banana split

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 8:31 pm
I sent along enough Shabbos shirts amd tzitzis and told my son not to wash at all bec I was worried about that

happy chick

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 9:16 pm
banana split wrote:
I sent along enough Shabbos shirts amd tzitzis and told my son not to wash at all bec I was worried about that

My boys all went for both months. That would be 8 shirts for each , not quite in the budget. And it's not just the shabbos shirts, it's all their undershirts and white t-shirts as well.

happy chick

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 9:20 pm
seeker wrote:
Yeah they're not exactly going to sort through the laundry of 500 kids... sorry. When I went to camp it was with mostly clothes that could stand to get a little ruined, and the nicer things (Shabbos clothes etc) I was instructed to just save it until I got home and not give it to camp laundry.

When I was a camper (many ages ago), we all grouped our laundry together and we split it into whites, colored and darks. And when it came back we all picked out own stuff. That's so much smarter than washing black pants w white shabbos shirts and everything in between. Not to mention that whites, especially from camp, MUST be bleached every single load.

Whatever, I guess they'll do things their way and I'll just keep replacing after every summer.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 9:56 pm
I give instructions not to give in certain items. Send Woolite for the sink and teach them how to do it. And pickup some special items to wash on visiting day, then bring back. But always expect damage.

I'm sorry for the shirts! You might still be able to salvage them with heavy soaking followed by washing with Shout color catcher sheets.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 10:05 pm
When I was in camp we had to mix all our stuff together but it was separated as whites and darks.

I’m addition we had two washing machines on camp grounds that you could use and feed with quarters and with your own detergent.

Sunny Days

Post Wed, Aug 18 2021, 12:10 am
It can also be a water issue. We had one summer that no matter how I washed the whites it turned grey.

animeme

Post Wed, Aug 18 2021, 1:31 am
I wash whites and colors together all the time, because it's easier to do laundry by kid and then give them the basket than to combine everyone and sort. I just use warm water vs hot. Camp wash can be different, and yes, I think it's a combination of the water quality and doing the wash on hot. Someone goofed. The color block sheets are a good idea.

happy chick

Post Wed, Aug 18 2021, 12:06 pm
I told my boys that next summer they should pool a few kids laundry together and sort it by color.

zaq

Post Wed, Aug 18 2021, 4:53 pm
Sunny Days wrote:
It can also be a water issue. We had one summer that no matter how I washed the whites it turned grey.

This happens in hard-water areas. But a commercial laundry should know that and use the appropriate equipment and chemicals.

Sunny Days

Post Wed, Aug 18 2021, 5:09 pm
zaq wrote:
This happens in hard-water areas. But a commercial laundry should know that and use the appropriate equipment and chemicals.

Camp don’t necessarily send out to a commercial laundry company. We were employed in a camp one summer. There were a couple of commercial machines and there was a lady that was in charge of washing the laundry. There were no special chemicals and we heard some of the machines had rust- therefore most families had their own or shared a washing machine with a neighbor (depending on the bungalow setup)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry