Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Bikur Cholim CLOSING in Maimonides??!!

mazeltov

Post Sat, Jun 05 2010, 8:07 pm
"After 25 years, the Bikur Cholim Room on the first floor of Maimonides Medical Center is being closed by the hospital"
quoted from ad on bottom of Page C16 Of the Hamodia dated June 2, 2010.

anyone else shocked to see that?

why would the bikur cholim room be closed down?

is there a replacement?

what about the bikur cholim shabbos meals for visitors?

is there some way to have the room re-instated?

isn't this a loss for the community? for the sick, and those visiting the sick?

bnm

Post Sat, Jun 05 2010, 8:10 pm
Yad Ephraim goes around on shabbos distributing meals. when I was there in the emergency room they bought a full shabbos meal in the morning, in the afternoon they bought cake and fruit. I think they have their main base 2 blocks away from the hospital

mazeltov

Post Sat, Jun 05 2010, 8:15 pm
bnm wrote:
Yad Ephraim goes around on shabbos distributing meals. when I was there in the emergency room they bought a full shabbos meal in the morning, in the afternoon they bought cake and fruit. I think they have their main base 2 blocks away from the hospital

but why is the Bikur Cholim Room being closed by the hospital?

yad ephraim is a great service that provides shabbos meals to people in the hospital which is amazing.

however, the bikur cholim room provides services that are not provided by yad ephraim.

the bikur cholim room is open 24/7, all week long, day and night, even when the fridge is locked you could open it with the combination written on it in hebrew and yiddish.

you could go in and get apple juice, orange juice, grape juice, milk, cookies, tuna and cream cheese sandwiches, read the newspaper, find seforim to learn and to daven, yarmulkes, other frum people to socialize, a place to take a break from what's going on etc.

why would they close it down??

bubby

Post Sat, Jun 05 2010, 8:16 pm
I can't believe that! So many frum people visit their families. What about those who take shifts...should they bring a thermos & a bagel mit a schmear?? shock

If cost is an issue, maybe visitors should send a nice check in appreciation of the nice refreshments & facilities.

mazeltov

Post Sat, Jun 05 2010, 8:20 pm
does anyone know what happened?

why are they closing the Bikur Cholim Room in Maimonides Hospital??

ILOVELIFE

Post Sat, Jun 05 2010, 8:32 pm
I personally benefitted from Bikur Cholim in Maimonidies so much! I was there with my dghter in the emergency room (for dehydration) for nearly 8 hours and one of the volunteers came around, saw me and got me some fruit and cake from the room. Later, when my husband came, I went to the room and just took a short snooze. did the article give any details?

mazeltov

Post Sat, Jun 05 2010, 8:44 pm
ILOVELIFE wrote:
I personally benefitted from Bikur Cholim in Maimonidies so much! I was there with my dghter in the emergency room (for dehydration) for nearly 8 hours and one of the volunteers came around, saw me and got me some fruit and cake from the room. Later, when my husband came, I went to the room and just took a short snooze. did the article give any details?

I also benefited from them and know a number of other people that did.

the ad did not say why they are closing.

this is the content of the ad: (sorry I didn't capitalize everything the same way)
------------------------
symbol/letterhead of the bikur cholim of boro park , guardians of the sick.

after 25 years, the bikur cholim room on the first floor of maimonides medical center is being closed by the hospital.

we would like to thank all the wonderful suppliers who donated their products over the years to help the people in our community.

our large comfortable bikur cholim room in NY METHODIST hospital remains open to serve the needs of the families of patients there.

we also express our hakoras hatov to the large number of bikur cholim volunteers who have staffed this room with dedication and selflessness. we want you to know that you have made a difference!

THANK YOU.

then in hebrew it says the possuk " hakadosh boruch hu yishaleim sicharam, shetisbarchu bibirkas kol haoskim bitzorchei tzibbur bieumunah"

board of trustees
yisroel herskovits, chaim schoenblum, executive officers
Rabbi shmuel steinharter, executive director
-----------------------end quote

Kaybee

Post Sat, Jun 05 2010, 9:26 pm
The hospital will shortly be reopening the room(bigger and better) on the second floor which will be run by yad ephrayim.

mazeltov

Post Sat, Jun 05 2010, 10:07 pm
Braind120 wrote:
The hospital will shortly be reopening the room(bigger and better) on the second floor which will be run by yad ephrayim.

thank you! what a relief to hear that.

happyone

Post Sat, Jun 05 2010, 10:09 pm
I bet this is all about politics within the organizations. Puke
I myself have greatly benefited from the room. A place to chill, get coffee and some food or drink while sitting with family members in the hospital. What a loss!

yiddishe vayb

Post Sun, Jun 06 2010, 1:50 am
I was told it's about politics. I think we need mashiach!
If a new one is opening why don't they just write that?

lovemywig

Post Sun, Jun 06 2010, 5:41 am
I worked in BP Bikur Cholim a couple of years ago n then there was a talk already if closing the place down. Most of the org. Runs on politics. So well its sad that after 25 years they're closing there doors. But if were getting something better n bigger maybe its worth it.

Levtov

Post Sun, Jun 06 2010, 6:00 am
Unfortunately, if you've worked in Chesed Organizations, there is politics all over. There are inner squabbles by volunteers, each claiming that they do more....Then there is difference of opinion how to collect funds and how to distribute, etc. There is also major fights between Organizations. Some I know about: Bonei Olam and ATIME, while each serving different needs for infertility and are both fantastic organizations, don't get along....In Meir Bal Haness, each claims that they are the GENUINE one....There is also plenty of disagreement in Hatzola...Loads of politics in the NYU bikur cholim room too. These and others do so much good and chesed, it is all the YETZER HORA trying to destroy us. May yidisha kinder continue to do CHESED and be mechaya yidisha kinder.

Last edited by Levtov on Sun, Jun 06 2010, 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total

faigie

Post Sun, Jun 06 2010, 7:20 am
it sounds like they are opening up something in the atrium.... which is huge.

kevinbaby

Post Wed, Aug 18 2021, 6:26 pm
U

Crookshanks

Post Wed, Aug 18 2021, 10:17 pm
Why has this thread been bumped 11 years later?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics