Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Should I buy my kid a new backpack?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 18 2021, 2:25 am
I would love to get some input here as I decide whether to buy my three-year-old (almost four) a new backpack for the upcoming school year.

Let me first just say that I live in Israel. Please take that into account if you think it may make a difference, and I'd especially love to hear from Israelis, but I'd be happy to hear thoughts from people who live elsewhere too.

The whole of last year, my son used a backpack that he was given as a gift at the end of the year before when he was really young. There's a picture of him on it from before his upshernish, with long hair--he hardly looks the same and has grown and developed tremendously since then. In addition, although it is perfectly serviceable for holding sandwiches and a change of clothes, the teachers last year got into the habit of stapling notes onto the actual backpack and I feel like to me at least it seems a little old and raggedy now. Nothing terrible, if we would just continue the same school year it wouldn't occur to me to replace the backpack, but I feel like symbolically something I want to give him something new. Like all the kids are marching back to school with new exciting supplies, why not him?

To clarify, he is young and not very verbal or demanding of new things (actually sometimes resists wearing new clothes) and definitely not asking for a new backpack. This is me thinking.

I have another son who started first grade this year. I can give his old gan backpack to my three-year-old. But that backpack has already been used for a few years and I think at this point it may even have a hole.

WWYD?

We can afford a new backpack, though the prices for the typical Kal Gav seem surprisingly expensive--but I did get my new first grader and older daughter new backpacks, I see that's kind of just the price here and we got used to the idea.

I saw a few backpacks for cheaper in Bazaar Strauss (maybe they were more like 50 instead of 80?) but they didn't have appealing designs.

I just would like to hear what others would do.

In general I try to teach my kids that we buy only what we need, even if we can technically afford the shiny new thing. But maybe the first day of a new school year IS the time to just go for it?

amother
DarkGray

Post Wed, Aug 18 2021, 2:34 am
I would buy a new cheap one (lol even 50 would be my limit for a 3 yo)

Doesnt shaarei revacha or osher ad have some cheap ones?

amother
Seablue

Post Wed, Aug 18 2021, 2:43 am
You've put a lot of thought into this.

I would say that at this point, buy a new backpack, though ideally the cheapest one. It is a gift for yourself. You want to feel like the good mommy who sends her son off to a fresh new year of school. And you deserve to feel that way, so if a backpack helps, it's worth the 50 (or 80) shekel!

If you need to explain your decision, you can explain that there are exceptions, like you buy a birthday present even if it's technically not needed, you bought this as a gift.

Teomima

Post Wed, Aug 18 2021, 2:47 am
Personally I wouldn't get a new bag at that age. Starting first grade, sure. But when they just need a bag for food and water and it gets left to the side of the room all day, why bother?

Also those GavKal backpacks are really awful! They're huge and way too heavy for little kids. I really regret buying them for my first graders when I did. I don't know why everyone (myself included at the time) thinks they're so great.

Now I buy basic backpacks from the stationary stores like Channan or via Amazon (they're back to offering free shipping for certain items on orders over $65, so you have to hit that sweet spot of under 75 in order to avoid customs and VAT). But again, I just use whatever small backpacks I already have for kids before first grade, and only buy a new bag then.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 18 2021, 3:28 am
amother [ DarkGray ] wrote:
I would buy a new cheap one (lol even 50 would be my limit for a 3 yo)

Doesnt shaarei revacha or osher ad have some cheap ones?

thanks! I don't know where else there would be cheaper ones...

and I'm a little not sure whether if I spend a few hours (which might turn into days, if I never find those few hours) looking for something cheaper than what I seem to bump into anyway, I'm doing something better or teaching my kids a better lesson? it wouldn't be a lesson for this kid in any case, but maybe just my older kids who are paying attention.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 18 2021, 3:30 am
amother [ Seablue ] wrote:
You've put a lot of thought into this.

I would say that at this point, buy a new backpack, though ideally the cheapest one. It is a gift for yourself. You want to feel like the good mommy who sends her son off to a fresh new year of school. And you deserve to feel that way, so if a backpack helps, it's worth the 50 (or 80) shekel!

If you need to explain your decision, you can explain that there are exceptions, like you buy a birthday present even if it's technically not needed, you bought this as a gift.

Thank you for your insight and advice! I should add that part of why I'm thinking so hard about it is because my husband said he doesn't think we should buy a new one. If I tell him I really want to, he'd say okay--he trusts me to make these decisions--but that's how this become a somewhat complicated decision.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 18 2021, 3:34 am
Teomima wrote:
Personally I wouldn't get a new bag at that age. Starting first grade, sure. But when they just need a bag for food and water and it gets left to the side of the room all day, why bother?

Also those GavKal backpacks are really awful! They're huge and way too heavy for little kids. I really regret buying them for my first graders when I did. I don't know why everyone (myself included at the time) thinks they're so great.

Now I buy basic backpacks from the stationary stores like Channan or via Amazon (they're back to offering free shipping for certain items on orders over $65, so you have to hit that sweet spot of under 75 in order to avoid customs and VAT). But again, I just use whatever small backpacks I already have for kids before first grade, and only buy a new bag then.

I agree about the first grade Kal Gav backpacks. But we made Aliyah when one of my kids was about to go into first grade and brought a backpack for her from the US that she had begged us to buy for her there that summer before we moved. The whole year she longed for one like the other kids! Also, on a practical level, the Kal Gav ones stand up and have structure that may make it easier for kids to use (though not to carry). We got her a "first grade" backpack the following year, and in retrospect I kinda think it may have been good for her if we got it for her earlier. Corona sort of made it a moot point. For my next kid entering first grade, we planned to start with just to get him what everyone else has. I see that it's a first grade rite of passage thing.

Anyway, in this case I'm talking about the Kal Gav backpacks meant for gan. They're small and not so heavy.

amother
Firethorn

Post Wed, Aug 18 2021, 4:03 am
I love the KalGav backpacks for first grade and up. G-d only knows why they have to shlep a million things back and forth every day, but as long as they do, I'm happy with KalGav.

For my gan age kids though, I've never bought a KalGav backpack. Just a nice little tik from a tik store. Anywhere from 25-50 shekel and done. Why KalGav for something that only needs to hold lunch and snack? My youngest just turned 4 and I wanted her to have a new tik to be excited for the new year. (Her old tik was in fine condition, but still.) 45 shekel at the tik store near Geula and it has a big pink smiley on it. She's thrilled.

DrMom

Post Wed, Aug 18 2021, 6:58 am
Quote:
the teachers last year got into the habit of stapling notes onto the actual backpack and I feel like to me at least it seems a little old and raggedy now.

If his current backpack is "raggedy," then I think a new backpack is a good idea. (Maybe you can ask his teachers NOT to do this in the future?)

I'd buy something from Amazon if the local choices are unappealing. (I also don't care for the KalGav packs -- I think they are too bulky).

twizzlers1

Post Wed, Aug 18 2021, 7:52 am
Last year I bought my son a backpack for around 20 shekels at Rami Levi So this does not need to be a big purchase. I think even my 3-year-old would have been embarrassed of him on his backpack even when he wasn't so verbal. I see this is actually a necessity not just a want. And I think it's okay to give things that are nice if you can afford it even if it's not absolutely necessary. My life would be pretty sad if I only bought things when they were absolutely necessary. Sometimes it feels really good to have something new. Obviously I'm not telling you to go out and spend a fortune but I got one for so cheap and it really made him feel good.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 19 2021, 2:02 am
Thanks everyone! We will happily buy him a new one. This thread was really helpful both for encouragement to do that, that it's not too indulgent, and also for pointing out to me that there's a middle option between no new backpack and a 90 shekel one.

Only, how come I don't seem to see all these inexpensive choices around? The tik stores I have seen are in the center of town but I am in the southern end of Jerusalem... I drive anyway to Beitar all the time so anywhere car friendly (easy parking) kind of on my way, Gilo or Efrat...?

I would check Amazon, now that free shipping has been restored, but I want it to come in time for the first day of school.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 19 2021, 2:05 am
DrMom wrote:
Quote:
the teachers last year got into the habit of stapling notes onto the actual backpack and I feel like to me at least it seems a little old and raggedy now.

If his current backpack is "raggedy," then I think a new backpack is a good idea. (Maybe you can ask his teachers NOT to do this in the future?)

I'd buy something from Amazon if the local choices are unappealing. (I also don't care for the KalGav packs -- I think they are too bulky).

Yes... You're right. I can and should ask that. In general I feel like I have all these requests this year, and I am afraid of coming up with too many complaints especially since he is really thriving in his gan. Like also: I really wish they wouldn't give so much candy and treats all the time. But can I even ask that? It seems so engrained in how they do things. Now during vacation I sometimes give chips or yesterday we baked cookies, but I almost never give actual candy and it's definitely much much less than during the school year. The one time I did give him a few candies, I saw he melted down after, which barely happened during vacation. Got me wondering whether it's related.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 19 2021, 2:09 am
twizzlers1 wrote:
Last year I bought my son a backpack for around 20 shekels at Rami Levi So this does not need to be a big purchase. I think even my 3-year-old would have been embarrassed of him on his backpack even when he wasn't so verbal. I see this is actually a necessity not just a want. And I think it's okay to give things that are nice if you can afford it even if it's not absolutely necessary. My life would be pretty sad if I only bought things when they were absolutely necessary. Sometimes it feels really good to have something new. Obviously I'm not telling you to go out and spend a fortune but I got one for so cheap and it really made him feel good.

Thanks for pointing out that he may be embarrassed even if he doesn't say anything. I don't THINK my son feels that way, possibly just because he's so used to the old bag that it's invisible to him at this point, but he definitely WOULD enjoy something new and maybe he actually does mind the old one, or will! (Still feeling bad that on the trip day this year, I forgot to give him his hat... I feel almost certain that he missed it when all the kids probably had one, even though he never said a word about it.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers