Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
How themes are cheaper

PinkandYellow

Post Thu, Mar 20 2008, 6:33 am
from another thread:
Quote:
um, not to go off topic but I'd like to address this. I used to not do themes, then I started doing themes. why? cuz its cheaper, thats why. if you'd like to know how, let me know, I'll start another thread on it. btw, I fyou spend as much on matanos l'evyonim as you do on mm, are you also makpid to spend as much on matanos l'evyonim or mm as you do on the seuda? just curious.

well, I do.
but I would love to hear how themes comes out cheaper

before themes, I bought a coupla good pieces of nosh and chocolate. well, each piece could cost around 5 shekels, with each mm coming to around 20-25 shek each.
now I do a theme. one can of pickles for all of them- 6 shek. 2.5 shek per roll (one each). a bag of chips- 3 shek each. a can of beer or soda, maybe 5 shek, and a little bit of deli. so around 20 shek maybe, not even. so the idea is that in a theme you can put cheaper stuff as long as it goes with the theme. but if you just do nice nosh, that costs money.
ppl that do salads, or challa and kugel or s/t like that. for sure cheaper.
obviously there are ppl taht will do themes that are expensive but then I'd just do nosh.

Last edited by PinkandYellow on Thu, Mar 20 2008, 9:13 am; edited 1 time in total

red sea

Post Thu, Mar 20 2008, 9:02 am
sure , themes can be cheaper. cuz u can get away with sending red hots, a red laffy taffy, licorice and a small water bottle, call it a firefighter theme and youre done - and it doesnt cost much, but dont forget red tissue paper and cellophane. if it wasnt a theme and you had lemonheads, a green laffy taffy, twizzlers & the small water bottle pple'd just call you cheap. with the theme the focus is cute, not cheap. all my apologies if I've just critiqued your exact mm this year. but if your theme is a kings castle and you send moscato d'asti, ptcha, and mrs zeigelmans log then your theme is no longer cheap. but truly packaging does count, its called first impressions and if you use it to make a relaively inexpensive mm look presentable, you save $.

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Mar 20 2008, 9:18 am
Cheap is cheap, whether you dress it up with a theme or not. Not that I care, I think it's silly when people put so much money into MM. It's totally gotten out of hand. Thank goodness practically everyone I know did cards this year. We just sent out our cards today and I will just make a few MM for the mitzvah and if some unexpected people drop off MM for us while we're home.

I'm putting an orange, Hostess 100 calorie pack, and container of jello into a brown paper bag. No theme!!!

chayitty

Post Thu, Mar 20 2008, 9:57 am
Quote:
but if your theme is a kings castle and you send moscato d'asti, ptcha, and mrs zeigelmans log then your theme is no longer cheap

hey...can I get on their list????

lamplighter

Post Thu, Mar 20 2008, 10:28 am
I gave my opinion about this on a different thread but Il say it again.
I do not think that giving an ADULT MM that is all red in a fireman hat is appropriate, I do think it's cheap. takeh it looks cuter that if it wasnt tied all together but I think adults/families should be somethign more substantial.....
children are a different story.

GAMZu

Post Thu, Mar 20 2008, 11:07 am
la456 wrote:
I gave my opinion about this on a different thread but Il say it again.
I do not think that giving an ADULT MM that is all red in a fireman hat is appropriate, I do think it's cheap. takeh it looks cuter that if it wasnt tied all together but I think adults/families should be somethign more substantial.....
children are a different story.
I agree with la. Even for families with kids I would give a hamantash, a fruit, a drink, and maybe one other thing. No one appreciates junky nosh. Still very cheap. A plum or an orange cost about the same as a box of red-hots.

Last year the kids dressed as celeries. We put a few celery stalks into a brown paper bag and tied with green curling ribbon. On the bottom of the bag went a wafer, a boxed juice and a hamantash in plastic wrap. Also very cheap, fit a theme, but not junky.

YALT

Post Thu, Mar 20 2008, 11:13 am
my MM comes out to less than $5 each.
I'll explain later.

Imhappy!

Post Thu, Mar 20 2008, 11:18 am
my MM cost me about 4-5$
no theme I bake cookies and homemade chocolates

PinkandYellow

Post Thu, Mar 20 2008, 11:45 am
not everybody can make homemade stuff for mm. cookies, muffiens, rolls, bagels, kugels, whatever. not everyone is capable nor have the time.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Mar 20 2008, 11:48 am
NOt evryone wants to giv or get homemade stuff either.

greenfire

Post Thu, Mar 20 2008, 11:52 am
chayitty wrote:
Quote:
but if your theme is a kings castle and you send moscato d'asti, ptcha, and mrs zeigelmans log then your theme is no longer cheap

hey...can I get on their list????

give me the moscato ... you can keep the cake filled with pounds upon pounds of margarine ...

anyways I think the theme should be PURIM ... as in hamentashen and booze - grape juice boxes for the kiddies & little bottles of wine or some such for the grownups Clown Drunken Smile

flowerpower

Post Thu, Mar 20 2008, 12:00 pm
I spend the same amount theme or not theme

PinkandYellow

Post Thu, Mar 20 2008, 1:16 pm
Quote:
mrs zeigelmans log

what is this?

yo'ma

Post Thu, Mar 20 2008, 1:22 pm
With me, I do more for the costumes because that we're keeping and taking pictures and it's for us. The mm, we're giving away and it gets destroyed anyway. I don't have to compete with anybody with the mm (or anything else). This year I bought some nosh (usually don't like giving that, but hey!) and put it in a paper bag my kids decorated. It came out really cute. I tried putting it up, but I can't figure out how to put pictures up. HELP!

greenfire

Post Thu, Mar 20 2008, 1:27 pm
PinkandYellow wrote:
Quote:
mrs zeigelmans log

what is this?

not sure but I was assuming it is this lady in boro park who makes "fancy" cakes for simchas ... people crave them ... have even been sent this way (long distance) ... I however smell the margarine loaded from miles away ...

red sea

Post Thu, Mar 20 2008, 1:32 pm
its a really expensive cake that e/o loves and gets for simchas - I never tasted it to confirm that tho

chayitty

Post Thu, Mar 20 2008, 2:16 pm
its a choclate lovers dream!!!!!!!
personally not a massive fan.....but people go bezark...my mom ordered it for purim....and one yr. she got it for mm with a bottle of wine...even if its not my fave id still rather get a nice expensive bopttle of wine and zegelmans then the other stuff I get!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Mar 20 2008, 3:25 pm
I did a theme this year but I think my mm are cute, not junky or cheap. I guess I'm biased though.

some themes are stretching it, however.

lamplighter

Post Thu, Mar 20 2008, 4:17 pm
so tell all CM ways ur theme?

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Mar 20 2008, 4:35 pm
I have only hinted to it here. I dont' really want to give detaisl

thansk for asking
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics