Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
How many weeks notice do we give?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 19 2021, 3:59 am
we live in a one family house we rent the basement

how many weeks notice to give landlords that we are moving? (landlord lives above us)

bayswater area

we had a contract but it wasnt so offical weve been there 3 years already and ready to move bh.

Elfrida

Post Thu, Aug 19 2021, 4:25 am
First check if it is specified in your contract.

If not, I would say it is courteous to give at least a months notice. If you have settled arrangements more than a month ahead, let them know as soon as it is settled.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 19 2021, 5:01 am
Elfrida wrote:
First check if it is specified in your contract.

If not, I would say it is courteous to give at least a months notice. If you have settled arrangements more than a month ahead, let them know as soon as it is settled.

not specified in contract thats why I made my post
ok I also thoughts 1 months notice tysm!

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Aug 19 2021, 6:14 am
I told them as soon as we were looking (about 6 months ahead) that we were looking and we would update when we knew more, and then the exact time a month ahead.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Aug 19 2021, 7:33 am
Not more than 30 days. We let our landlord know that heads up we bought a home and are renovating. And we expect to move out in 3 months. A day later we were hounded with calls of ppl coming to look at the apartment. And then when someone took it my landlord harassed us to leave because they wanted to give it to the new renters already. It was super stressful.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Aug 19 2021, 10:05 am
If you have a lease and break it, he can (doesn't have to) require you to pay rent every month until the end of the lease even after you leave. He can also deny you the return of your security deposit.

We moved out of state and had to break our lease. Because we were moving due to a job transfer they allowed us to break the lease, but we lost our security deposit.

Amarante

Post Thu, Aug 19 2021, 10:48 am
If it is a month to month lease then you give notice one month before moving out.

However that is the minimum and if you have cordial relationship with the landlord, why not give them as much notice as you can.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette