Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Daughter and her sleeping habits

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 20 2021, 10:18 am
hi,
I need help with 2 things. My daughter that is almost 4 has a hard time falling asleep. So I put her to sleep and she wants a drink, has a boo boo, wants a toy etc-every excuse in the book. How do I deal with that?

another thing: she wakes up in middle of the night and comes to my room and wakes me up claiming she has a boo boo, she want this and that and complains abt random stuff. How do I get her to stay out of my room and not come? We have locked the door but I feel bad to do it and also if I do it she will make a racket banging down the door and wake everybody else up plus then I have to get out of bed...
any advice?

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Aug 20 2021, 10:27 am
It sounds like her brain is overstimulated and unregulated, and it's keeping her from fully relaxing.

MELATONIN.1/2 mg to start. There are tasty chewables that you can break into small doses. If it doesn't work at 1/2 mg, then give 1mg. iHerb has them with a good heksher.

Once you get her down, it will help her stay down, too.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 20 2021, 10:30 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
It sounds like her brain is overstimulated and unregulated, and it's keeping her from fully relaxing.

MELATONIN.1/2 mg to start. There are tasty chewables that you can break into small doses. If it doesn't work at 1/2 mg, then give 1mg. iHerb has them with a good heksher.

Don't wanna start with that..

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Aug 20 2021, 11:19 am
I am currently having the same issue. We realized that all that was code for I need some mommy time. So now when DC comes out I'll bring them back and sit with them for a while longer and that had been doing the trick.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 20 2021, 11:22 am
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
I am currently having the same issue. We realized that all that was code for I need some mommy time. So now when DC comes out I'll bring them back and sit with them for a while longer and that had been doing the trick.

When she comes out before she goes to sleep?

Zehava

Post Fri, Aug 20 2021, 11:53 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

Those are huge doses for a four year old

Zehava

Post Fri, Aug 20 2021, 11:54 am
If you can, sit with her in the room for a while when you’re putting her to sleep. Or right outside the room.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Aug 20 2021, 11:57 am
I think the biggest thing you should work on is having her stay in her own room. You go sit with her as needed, but don't have her coming in to your room. She will get used to staying in her own room/bed. Kids have partial wakenings during the night, and your DD is wired to come to your room rather than staying put.

Fabulous

Post Fri, Aug 20 2021, 12:01 pm
Make sure she has time to unwind before bed and no electronic or sugar. Buy special toys for her room
That if she wakes up early she can play with. Ok to wake clock. Special treat after a certain amount of days without waking you up etc

amother
Mulberry

Post Fri, Aug 20 2021, 12:09 pm
My 5 yr old daughter has gone through phases of this as well. "Bedtime" drags out for hours and then restarts in middle of the night....

For my dd, she is just more emotionally needy at that point in time. So I give her lots of hugs and kisses, do our regular bedtime routine and story, lots of validation that staying in bed/falling asleep is hard... and then structure! She must stay in her room and I will come check on her every so often. She doesn't listen perfectly but it helps to give her a little tough love. And when she gets up in middle of the night, she knocks on our door (which is locked) and I tell her we are here and she needs to go back to bed. And she does. Sometimes with some tears, sometimes without a hitch. It doesn't seem to last forever but it is so hard while going through it!

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Fri, Aug 20 2021, 12:22 pm
I second melatonin. And 1/2mg is not a huge dose at all. Idk where you got that from

oneofakind

Post Fri, Aug 20 2021, 1:27 pm
Make a chart and reward her for going y bed ( allow 1 time to come out) and for staying in bed in middle of the night.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics