Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Tummy time

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 20 2021, 12:35 pm
My 6 month old hates being on her stomach and yells whenever I put her on it. She had major surgery a couple months ago and was just cleared for tummy time again last week but hates it. Any ideas how to make it easier for her? Bh she holds her head and flips both directions but hates going on the floor so barely pulls herself up to start crawling. Etc

amother
Broom

Post Fri, Aug 20 2021, 12:40 pm
I worried about tummy time too. Now my baby sits up and prefers to sit vs tummy gime. Once she gets a little older she will learn to go from was sitting to stomach position on her own and crawl shortly after

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 20 2021, 12:46 pm
amother [ Broom ] wrote:
I worried about tummy time too. Now my baby sits up and prefers to sit vs tummy gime. Once she gets a little older she will learn to go from was sitting to stomach position on her own and crawl shortly after

Thanks. She is my fourth child bh, and my others had no problem going on the floor. She is starting to sit up so maybe that will help her do what she needs to do.

amother
Peachpuff

Post Fri, Aug 20 2021, 12:56 pm
2 of my kids had major surgery as newborns and also hated tummy time. They actually both never crawled. They scooched on their bottom to get around, and went straight to standing. They are both in elementary school now, and doing great BH. I don't think they are weaker than the average kid, although they do both get PT where they work on their core strength, mostly because it's free through insurance Smile
Over the years I've noticed that babies who have had medical intervention tend to have weaker cores/abs and tend to avoid crawling. They also stand and walk later. But in the end, it all sorts itself out BH.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 20 2021, 1:01 pm
amother [ Peachpuff ] wrote:
2 of my kids had major surgery as newborns and also hated tummy time. They actually both never crawled. They scooched on their bottom to get around, and went straight to standing. They are both in elementary school now, and doing great BH. I don't think they are weaker than the average kid, although they do both get PT where they work on their core strength, mostly because it's free through insurance Smile
Over the years I've noticed that babies who have had medical intervention tend to have weaker cores/abs and tend to avoid crawling. They also stand and walk later. But in the end, it all sorts itself out BH.

Iyh it will. My kids in general are late walkers but basically crawled on time like 6-7 months. My earliest Walker was 16 months with my latest being 22 months. I guess I won't worry to much and just try to get her on her stomach as much as I can without her screaming.

amother
Buttercup

Post Fri, Aug 20 2021, 1:14 pm
If you can get PT, there is no harm in that. DC loved sitting, and hated tummy time. He finally started moving forward on his stomach at around 13 months. I didn't get approved through EI because they needed to score 2 points bow average in 2 different areas, they wouldn't just approve PT where I lived 🤷🏼‍♂️. Eventually DC started PT and made a lot of progress BH, so I would get am evaluation, I don't see how it can hurt.

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Aug 20 2021, 2:49 pm
Pt here- put the baby on his belly on your chest and play with him so he needs to pick up his head to see you!
Do it 5 minutes out of every waking hour

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 20 2021, 3:46 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
Pt here- put the baby on his belly on your chest and play with him so he needs to pick up his head to see you!
Do it 5 minutes out of every waking hour

Thanks gonna try that.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Sat, Aug 21 2021, 11:06 am
Another PT here 😀
You can also try having the baby do tummy time on your lap as you sit on the couch watching your other kids, on a bench at the playground…. If the baby is still upset, you can rub their back, pat their back…
While the baby is doing tummy time on your lap you can slightly elevate the thigh on the side where your baby’s chest is (your foot on that side would have your own heel elevated ).
Make sure your baby’s arms are forward and not at their sides.
Although it doesn’t really count for tummy time in terms of shoulder / core development , you can help your baby get used to their body/head being in that position by holding your baby in the air on their belly . It’s hard to describe without a visual demonstration, but you can hold your baby like a “football” with your arm btwn their head and shoulders, reaching with your hand btwn their legs, then gently tilt their belly towards the ground. I hope these make sense and work for you! I highly recommend getting a PT to assess your baby in person and to give you more ideas tailored to your baby.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics