Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Solids

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 2:43 am
Hi! My baby is 7 and a half months. When do you give the solids? I was told I’ve been doing it wrong and I can cut out a feed. I’ve been nursing and then straight after offering the solids. I was told now that Instead of the feed I can just offer solids and he’ll eat more. How often should I offer solids? And then when do I give him to nurse? It’s all so confusing. Also I see he’s now interested in regular food and not purées so gave him kugel and challah on shabbos. Anyone able to advice with a feeding schedule?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 7:19 am
Anyone?

s1

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 7:25 am
At this age you don’t have to give purrees, he can eat everything you have , but try to cook with little or no salt, or add the salt after you’ve taken off his portion. (except honey, and nuts if there are allergies in the family). I can’t remember when I fed mine at that age but they definitely had breakfast and supper with the rest of the family.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 8:30 am
s1 wrote:
At this age you don’t have to give purrees, he can eat everything you have , but try to cook with little or no salt, or add the salt after you’ve taken off his portion. (except honey, and nuts if there are allergies in the family). I can’t remember when I fed mine at that age but they definitely had breakfast and supper with the rest of the family.

Yeah my question really is when do I nurse? How often and before or after eating food?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 2:43 am
Anyone else able to help out?

amother
Bellflower

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 4:54 am
After he eats solids, you can nurse him and he will take as much as he needs.
As he gets older and eats more real food per meal, he will probably need to nurse less and then you can drop a feed.

blima1

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 6:21 am
The way my dr told me is not to cut out feedings
Until baby is one the food should be a supplement to the nursing
Just offer as much as your baby wants
Do it based on what your baby wants- start with one meal a day- whichever time is best for you. You can cook veggies in your chicken soup and serve that - I used to also puree chicken and mix it with the veggie
I think skipping purees is probably fine but I would do it as healthy as possible.
Then after that is going well and baby wants more then bump it to two meals etc.
My baby is currently 11 months, he has three meals plus snacks. I still nurse full time but will soon start cutting it down
At my last visit my DR said that if nursing is going well I dont have to cut down yet
So really just taking my babies cues

blima1

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 6:29 am
Also in terms of when to nurse I think that it is best to give food after nursing (bec. for now it is main source of nutrition you dont want the baby to stuff up on food and then not want to nurse)
But if you have to do what is better for you- you are still a good mom and your baby is going to be fine Smile
So lets say: 7 am nurse, 11 am nurse, 12ish pm lunch, 3 pm nurse, 7 pm nurse
then: 7 am nurse, 8:30 ish breakfast (yogurt is great for this) 11 am nurse, 12ish pm lunch, 3 pm nurse, 7 pm nurse
I did it like this bcuz it was too hard for me to do 7 am nurse and then straight to feeding breakfast- I need time to breathe- but you can also do that

and then for 3rd feeding I personally do 5ish pm supper
but I know someone who nurses then and does supper right before bed

Does not have to be these exact times- just writing cuz you asked-
Hope it was helpful!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 8:34 am
blima1 wrote:
Also in terms of when to nurse I think that it is best to give food after nursing (bec. for now it is main source of nutrition you dont want the baby to stuff up on food and then not want to nurse)
But if you have to do what is better for you- you are still a good mom and your baby is going to be fine Smile
So lets say: 7 am nurse, 11 am nurse, 12ish pm lunch, 3 pm nurse, 7 pm nurse
then: 7 am nurse, 8:30 ish breakfast (yogurt is great for this) 11 am nurse, 12ish pm lunch, 3 pm nurse, 7 pm nurse
I did it like this bcuz it was too hard for me to do 7 am nurse and then straight to feeding breakfast- I need time to breathe- but you can also do that

and then for 3rd feeding I personally do 5ish pm supper
but I know someone who nurses then and does supper right before bed

Does not have to be these exact times- just writing cuz you asked-
Hope it was helpful!

Thank you that was very helpfull. How do u know if baby needs to nurse or just a snack of food will do if baby is crying?
Is your baby’s last nurse at 7pm? And doesn’t wake in the night again?

blima1

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 8:46 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you that was very helpfull. How do u know if baby needs to nurse or just a snack of food will do if baby is crying?
Is your baby’s last nurse at 7pm? And doesn’t wake in the night again?

Well even before I started solids I worked hard to get him on a 4 hour schedule, which you should be able to do at 7m unless your dr says otherwise
then you will know that your baby is getting enough during those 4 sessions- he might do a longer nursing session - but unless your baby is underweight that is all he really needs
So then if I thought he was hungry I would give him a snack
but just bec. your baby is crying doesn't mean he is hungry...
and Yes, Baruch Hashem! Thats a sleep training discussion Wink
I guess you nurse on demand? that works for some ppl... personally I am very scheduled so wouldn't work for me but you are not hurting your baby if you think he is hungry and you nurse him a little or if you give a snack - both are fine!

blima1

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 8:49 am
and its my pleasure!
glad I can help

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 9:25 am
blima1 wrote:
Well even before I started solids I worked hard to get him on a 4 hour schedule, which you should be able to do at 7m unless your dr says otherwise
then you will know that your baby is getting enough during those 4 sessions- he might do a longer nursing session - but unless your baby is underweight that is all he really needs
So then if I thought he was hungry I would give him a snack
but just bec. your baby is crying doesn't mean he is hungry...
and Yes, Baruch Hashem! Thats a sleep training discussion Wink
I guess you nurse on demand? that works for some ppl... personally I am very scheduled so wouldn't work for me but you are not hurting your baby if you think he is hungry and you nurse him a little or if you give a snack - both are fine!

Right so my baby won’t nurse for long like a max of 5 minutes if lucky. So they short nursing sessions abt every 3-4 hours.

blima1

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 9:36 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Right so my baby won’t nurse for long like a max of 5 minutes if lucky. So they short nursing sessions abt every 3-4 hours.

Okay
Ovb. you should be checking with your dr. but some babies nurse faster they can be getting everything they need in 5 min
I think you are doing good
I would keep on what your doing and if you think baby is hungry you can always give a little snack (my idea of a snack is 2 pretzels- not a lot)
But like I said you cant really go wrong
I also would not just assume that he is hungry just because he is crying- I would first try to entertain him etc.

trixx

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 9:36 am
Nurse on demand, food on schedule.
When in doubt nurse
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics