Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Can any school administrator please explain?
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 6:52 pm
Wondering if any school actually sat down, took a close look at the current schedule of three months summer vacation with too much unstructured time both for kids and working parents, and said “yes, let’s continue with this, it’s for the kids’ benefit.”

Did any school bother to reassess within the past decade, or are they just on autopilot?

Do they not feel a responsibility to the community?

Do they just consider themselves a business, this is what they’re offering take it or leave it?

Can someone PLEASE explain?!?

amother
Tealblue

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 6:55 pm
They are an autopilot and don't really care. If it worked for the past 50 years, keep it going. Money is always the bottom line and if they make the school year longer, your tuition will go up.

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 6:58 pm
Not sure what you are taking about. School is starting here. There definitely too much free time. A couple days in beginning of summer and around 2 weeks now.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 7:00 pm
our school rents out their building to a camp during the summer so they make money off that time.
I think it's also good for kids to not be in the school environment all year especially for kids who are less academic.

We live OOT, sleepaway camps are big here because it gives the kids a chance to meet kids outside of their class which can be quite small.

bigsis144

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 7:01 pm
My son is in public school and is part of an “innovative school year calendar” initiative.

He ended second grade June 14th and started third grade on July 12th.

He got two weeks off at home with me, and two weeks in a Jewish day camp (this was the earliest any camps started, and though camp usually has kids enroll for the entire session rather than week-by-week, they prorated it for us BH).

He has been so miserable seeing everyone else get time off, and I wish he had had more time for a structured camp experience in the summer, but otherwise, it totally makes sense to me.

If everyone had this schedule, there would be way less resentment about being in school during the summer. He ends at 3:45 and I take him to the park or pool from 4-7, my kids never had early bedtimes.

amother
Dimgray

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 7:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Wondering if any school actually sat down, took a close look at the current schedule of three months summer vacation with too much unstructured time both for kids and working parents, and said “yes, let’s continue with this, it’s for the kids’ benefit.”

Did any school bother to reassess within the past decade, or are they just on autopilot?

Do they not feel a responsibility to the community?

Do they just consider themselves a business, this is what they’re offering take it or leave it?

Can someone PLEASE explain?!?

HA! The only benefit thought about is how it works best for the administration and employees. Parents and kids are a mere afterthought.

amother
Magnolia

There are as many school days as the government mandates and they get funding for.

amother
Cantaloupe

Why do you want your kids in a restrictive environment for more than 9 months out of the year?
A better solution would be for schools to charge tuition just for those nine months so more people can afford to send to camp.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 7:03 pm
Another thing to consider is that the pay structure in schools considers the fact that the staff is off from late June till around September. Would you be willing to pay an additional 10% if theoretically school extended an additional month?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 7:03 pm
It’s 10 weeks- but still too much
I think they are on auto pilot.

amother
Dimgray

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 7:05 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
our school rents out their building to a camp during the summer so they make money off that time.
I think it's also good for kids to not be in the school environment all year especially for kids who are less academic.

We live OOT, sleepaway camps are big here because it gives the kids a chance to meet kids outside of their class which can be quite small.

The three months vacation has kids losing so much of what they learned. The first couple of weeks of school is usually spent on reviewing what they've learned previously to bring them up to speed. It makes no sense.

A much better setup would be the European version. Give the kids 4-6 weeks off during the summer and give them longer breaks during the year. This way they're not in the school environment for nine months straight.

amother
Dimgray

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 7:07 pm
amother [ Magnolia ] wrote:
There are as many school days as the government mandates and they get funding for.

I doubt it. How is it possible that they're on a similar schedule to the public schools (NY state here), but yet we have off almost four weeks straight for the YT, Chanukah vacation, Mid-winter vacation, Purim, then another 2-3 weeks for Pesach, plus Shavuous. The public schools have off two weeks for Xmas & New Years, 2 days for Thanksgiving and about a week for President's week.

I fail to see how the numbers are equal.

amother
Strawberry

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 7:07 pm
I think it’s good for kids to have vacation! Do you remember what it was like to be a kid and to have summer vacation?!
Let your kids swim, ride bikes, hang out with friends, go to the park. It’s healthy for them!
School isn’t a babysitting service, sorry.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 7:10 pm
schools are not babysitters, but you are speaking as if they are.

my kids have enough trouble sitting through 10 months of rigourous schooling with tests/hw/reports etc. they would hate more school and need the break, why would you suggest less of a break? is it bec you are working and need babysitters? school shld not be babysitters.......

if you want a shorter summer break, are you also saying to have no "winter break" or thats okay bec its shorter?

I dont agree with you that there shld be less of a break.

eta: do your kids have 3 mnths off? my kids ended arnd june 20 and start arnd aug 20 or sept 2 so its a drop more than 2 mnths break which is not a lot.

STMommy

amother [ Magnolia ] wrote:

Totally false. There are at least 15 days less.

amother
Peony

It’s amazing for my kids!
They learn to entertain themselves, and learn so many skills they’d never learn otherwise- woodwork on their own, all sorts of crafts, it’s a great time to spend a full Sunday hiking or something without worrying about waking early for school the next day...
I think the unstructured time provides for so many learning opportunities in a relaxed way they’d never otherwise have.
And yes, getting a million phone calls while I work is impossible, but they gain so much id never want to take that away from them.

amother
Strawberry

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 7:13 pm
amother [ Peony ] wrote:
It’s amazing for my kids!
They learn to entertain themselves, and learn so many skills they’d never learn otherwise- woodwork on their own, all sorts of crafts, it’s a great time to spend a full Sunday hiking or something without worrying about waking early for school the next day...
I think the unstructured time provides for so many learning opportunities in a relaxed way they’d never otherwise have.
And yes, getting a million phone calls while I work is impossible, but they gain so much id never want to take that away from them.

This!!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 7:13 pm
I don't think it's a babysitting service.
I think they claim to represent the community and serve the community but in this large way they are oblivious to the needs of the community.
My kids will have had eleven weeks off by the time they go back to school.
I wouldn't mind paying more tuition, I'm anyway losing so much by sending to all these in between camps and scrambling for extra babysitting hours.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 7:14 pm
Anyway, my question was for school admins.
I want to hear if there's a single school out there that reevaluated, reassessed, and still decided to stick with this way.

keym

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 7:16 pm
A few years ago, Bais Faiga (the largest girls elementary school in Lakewood) decided to make school all the way until the end of June (like June 28) and start the beginning of September (like Sep 2).
This way vacation would be only 2 months.
They didn't want to go into July or August because they structure tuition and teacher's pay to be 10 months a year.
They decided not to consult with the other schools, hoping that the other schools would come on board.
It ended up being a whole mess because daycamps couldn't start until July and many schools refused to end later than June 19.
I don't remember how it ended, but I think BF felt pressured to move up their date to June 23- 5 days earlier than they wanted, and girls from other schools were struggling with more unstructured time.
I don't remember all the details, just that it was a big mess.
Page 1 of 9   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics