Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Can any school administrator please explain?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

amother
Strawberry

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 7:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don't think it's a babysitting service.
I think they claim to represent the community and serve the community but in this large way they are oblivious to the needs of the community.
My kids will have had eleven weeks off by the time they go back to school.
I wouldn't mind paying more tuition, I'm anyway losing so much by sending to all these in between camps and scrambling for extra babysitting hours.

Sorry Op, I hear your frustration.
Schools are here to educate your children. That’s it.

It’s your job as a parent to provide entertainment for them , or provide an environment that they can self entertain. It’s so healthy for kids to engage with nature these summer months. Let your kids hike, bike, swim, eat sticky ices and craft away. Please don’t take away even one of these days for kids. These months are the best!

It’s a matter of what you do with the time as parent. Don’t throw this responsibility on to the school.

It’s healthy for teachers to get a break btw. You WANT your kids teacher to have a summer vacation! They will be a better teacher in September because of it.

It’s a struggle for working parents, and I really resonate. But at the same time this is our job as a parent to help create a wonderful, healthy summer for our children.

Writergirl

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 7:22 pm
amother [ Strawberry ] wrote:

It’s your job as a parent to provide entertainment for them , or provide an environment that they can self entertain. It’s so healthy for kids to engage with nature these summer months. Let your kids hike, bike, swim, eat sticky ices and craft away. Please don’t take away even one of these days for kids. These months are the best!

It’s a matter of what you do with the time as parent. Don’t throw this responsibility on to the school.

It’s healthy for teachers to get a break btw. You WANT your kids teacher to have a summer vacation! They will be a better teacher in September because of it.

It’s a struggle for working parents, and I really resonate. But at the same time this is our job as a parent to help create a wonderful, healthy summer for our children.

This was very well stated!

amother
Dimgray

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 7:22 pm
I think it’s good for kids to have vacation! Do you remember what it was like to be a kid and to have summer vacation?!
Let your kids swim, ride bikes, hang out with friends, go to the park. It’s healthy for them!
School isn’t a babysitting service, sorry.

4-6 weeks IS a vacation. And doesn't it make more sense to divide the long break so kids can breathe during the rest of the year as well?

This nonsense about school not being a babysitting service is just pathetic. This refrain probably propagated by teachers and school workers only. No one considers it a baby sitting service, but the kid's live are constructed around the school system. What the school does affects the kids entire structure and consequently the household. Parent's adjust their daily lives around the school setup, and the schools expect that of them. They expect the parents to arrange their schedules so that they can send their children off to school, be home for them when they dismiss them and then assist with the homework and other requirements as needed. To have this only be a one-sided relationship, where parent's have to jump through whatever hoop the school decides to put up, but the school can just shrug away the needs of the parents, is just wrong. Very wrong.

The schools always sing the song that we are partners, and must work together for the benefit of the child. So where are they when they're asked to work together with the parents? Parents can't drop their work at the drop of a hat, or sit in their car for 4 hours a day doing carpool for many days on end.

The schools needs and demands the parents cooperation to keep the school flowing smoothly. Imagine if parents would just send their children at whatever hour is convenient for them, or whatever days are convenient for them. They need the parents cooperation to review the work and help their children achieve education milestones. If it is indeed a two way street, then the school needs to respect that they have to put up their end of the bargain at times.

School is indeed not a babysitting service, but it is a integral part of life that society constructs their life around. It needs to take in consideration how their choices affect their parent body, and not just give them the middle finger.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 7:23 pm
Personally, I think the summer gives so many kids a chance to thrive. My tayna is why there is no camp that goes through the whole summer. It’s all these in between weeks and first half camp, second half camp, weeks before school starts camp that drive me batty. If we would have one camp, daycare for 10 weeks I would be more than happy with the long break

amother
Magnolia

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 7:24 pm
amother [ Dimgray ] wrote:
I doubt it. How is it possible that they're on a similar schedule to the public schools (NY state here), but yet we have off almost four weeks straight for the YT, Chanukah vacation, Mid-winter vacation, Purim, then another 2-3 weeks for Pesach, plus Shavuous. The public schools have off two weeks for Xmas & New Years, 2 days for Thanksgiving and about a week for President's week.

I fail to see how the numbers are equal.

They also have midwinter vacation for afew days in February and are off a week for Easter and Springbreak. And public school never starts before labor day.

amother
Strawberry

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 7:24 pm
Writergirl wrote:
This was very well stated!

Thank you for your feedback:)

amother
Eggshell

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 7:27 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
Personally, I think the summer gives so many kids a chance to thrive. My tayna is why there is no camp that goes through the whole summer. It’s all these in between weeks and first half camp, second half camp, weeks before school starts camp that drive me batty. If we would have one camp, daycare for 10 weeks I would be more than happy with the long break

The schools in Brooklyn use the building for daycamp too. They need time to set up from school to daycamp and then in August back to school. I have a family member that does this and those weeks he is very very busy . They need to set up pools ect. They can't do it while school is in session .

amother
Heather

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 7:27 pm
I think the summer break where I live in NY is far too long but my relatives in Israel only get a 3 week break and I think that's too short. There has to be a happy balance!

amother
Dimgray

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 7:29 pm

No one is talking about taking away the vacation. We are talking about splitting up the vacation so that it works better for our dear children. Having a 4-6 weeks vacation and then splitting up the rest of the weeks throughout the year works better for most children, plus offers the benefit of not forgetting so much of what they've learned.

And as for the responsibility of the school - they do have a responsibility to society since the lives of the children are structured around the school system. They do have a responsibility to do what's best for the children - and as well work together with the parents to ensure a smooth setting. It should be the schools responsibility to coordinate with other schools so that boys and girls have off at the same time. It benefits all children to truly have family time as well as not having to spend those days with exhausted parents. The schools also need to take into considerations that setting half days with no bussing makes no sense. They're literally asking, or rather demanding, parents spend their every morning in cars for hours on ends - fully knowing that the large majority of parent body works.

amother
Amaryllis

amother [ OP ] wrote:
Wondering if any school actually sat down, took a close look at the current schedule of three months summer vacation with too much unstructured time both for kids and working parents, and said “yes, let’s continue with this, it’s for the kids’ benefit.”

Did any school bother to reassess within the past decade, or are they just on autopilot?

Do they not feel a responsibility to the community?

Do they just consider themselves a business, this is what they’re offering take it or leave it?

Can someone PLEASE explain?!?

Assuming our school did.
My girls last day of school was June 10. First day of school August 25. But school offered a day camp option from June 16-August 17 at a very reasonable rate and wholesome good fun. They also incorporated עברי classes in the younger grades program to continue practicing and not fall behind ( I heard that also math/reading but my girls said not their grade).

Boys had no break.

I think this is a happy medium- giving girls a chance to enjoy the summer but no overload in a ton of days off (with most likely no official structure).

amother
Strawberry

4-6 weeks IS a vacation. And doesn't it make more sense to divide the long break so kids can breathe during the rest of the year as well?

This nonsense about school not being a babysitting service is just pathetic. This refrain probably propagated by teachers and school workers only. No one considers it a baby sitting service, but the kid's live are constructed around the school system. What the school does affects the kids entire structure and consequently the household. Parent's adjust their daily lives around the school setup, and the schools expect that of them. They expect the parents to arrange their schedules so that they can send their children off to school, be home for them when they dismiss them and then assist with the homework and other requirements as needed. To have this only be a one-sided relationship, where parent's have to jump through whatever hoop the school decides to put up, but the school can just shrug away the needs of the parents, is just wrong. Very wrong.

The schools always sing the song that we are partners, and must work together for the benefit of the child. So where are they when they're asked to work together with the parents? Parents can't drop their work at the drop of a hat, or sit in their car for 4 hours a day doing carpool for many days on end.

The schools needs and demands the parents cooperation to keep the school flowing smoothly. Imagine if parents would just send their children at whatever hour is convenient for them, or whatever days are convenient for them. They need the parents cooperation to review the work and help their children achieve education milestones. If it is indeed a two way street, then the school needs to respect that they have to put up their end of the bargain at times.

School is indeed not a babysitting service, but it is a integral part of life that society constructs their life around. It needs to take in consideration how their choices affect their parent body, and not just give them the middle finger.

I don’t understand why you expect babysitting from the schools, regardless of their integral part of our children’s daily lives.
Four to 6 weeks is a really short summer vacation!
Does anyone else remember the feeling of excitement on the last day of school? Summer is here?! Lol
Summer is SO healthy for kids! Why would you want to shortchange your kids by even one day?

amother
NeonYellow

Where's everyone getting the "three months" from? School ended June 17 and is starting august 25th. That's two months and a week.

amother
Dimgray

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 7:30 pm
amother [ Magnolia ] wrote:
They also have midwinter vacation for afew days in February and are off a week for Easter and Springbreak. And public school never starts before labor day.

If you do the math, the numbers still don't add up.

nylon

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 7:31 pm
A single school can't change things. The whole system needs to change. There are teachers and administrators who think a different schedule would be better and there are places in the US that have used year round calendars or a "balanced" calendar (with a shorter summer break and more breaks during the year).

But if one or two schools does this, then it doesnt' work. They're out of sync with the community, camps, public schools (which can be a big deal if they rely on busing), etc.

keym

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 7:32 pm
amother [ Heather ] wrote:
I think the summer break where I live in NY is far too long but my relatives in Israel only get a 3 week break and I think that's too short. There has to be a happy balance!

I actually like the boys school schedule in Lakewood.
The first 3 weeks of the summer is yeshiva in the morning and sports, swimming, crafts, hunts, and even a trip or two in the afternoon.
Then half a week off.
4 weeks of camp.
A week and a half off.
Then school starts.
Total they have 6 weeks vacation and 4 of those weeks have camp, 2 they can veg.

Though this year is a problem that the first 2 weeks of school, most don't have English so they're only in school until 1-3 depending on the school and grade.

But in general, I like the balance.

amother
Dimgray

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 7:32 pm
I don’t understand why you expect babysitting from the schools, regardless of their integral part of our children’s daily lives.
Four to 6 weeks is a really short summer vacation!
Does anyone else remember the feeling of excitement on the last day of school? Summer is here?! Lol
Summer is SO healthy for kids! Why would you want to shortchange your kids by even one day?

Reread my post - it's not babysitting. It's the structure of our kid's daily lives.

Does anyone remember the feeling of coming back to school after sukkos, knowing that we are now into the long haul of winter with no significant break?

Again - reread my post. I don't want to shortchange the kids with even one day. I want to spread them out through the year so the kids get to stretch their legs and breathe outside of summer too.

cnc

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 7:33 pm
Schools in NY are mandated to be in session for a minimum of 180 days. Some Jewish schools might have a problem filling that mandate in years where there are too many snow days etc....

There is no issue with them having more than 180 days.

amother
Magnolia

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 7:34 pm
If you do the math, the numbers still don't add up.

It does add up. There are years that frum schools need to add some days at the end of the year because they had school less days than what's mandated.

amother
Dimgray

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 7:38 pm

Fifty years ago, the majority of mothers were not working. Nowadays, the majority of parents work. Parents can't take off for these many summer days to create a wonderful, healthy summer for our children. If that is indeed expected of all parents, how can we promote the kollel system? Are we disenfranchising our children by having the mother work? Or should we expect our men to be out of kollel for the many weeks on end to give the children the wonderful, healthy summer?

We can't play it both ways. If the schools teach and promote the kollel lifestyle, they need to understand and expect that the majority of the parent body will be working. They can't teach one way, and then demand the parents do another. Imo, it's totally hypocrisy to teach that the woman should go out to work to allow her husband to sit and learn, and then tell the parents that you need to be there for your children to give them a wonderful healthy summer.

amother
Dimgray

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 7:39 pm
amother [ Magnolia ] wrote:
It does add up. There are years that frum schools need to add some days at the end of the year because they had school less days than what's mandated.

Perhaps where you live. But here in NY, that doesn't happen. Public schools finish at the end of June. We never go past the third week of June.
Page 2 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics