Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Which kippahs are worn by which hashkafas?

MrsMalka

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 5:44 pm
Me and my husband are BTs and he wants me to buy him a new kippah.

Can someone please tell me about which hashkafas wear which kippahs?

Like, obviously knitted coloured kippah means dati leumi in Israel or MO in America... but what about the others?

What's the difference between black suede vs. black leather vs. black velvet vs. black knitted?

CDL

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 6:14 pm
Jpf is black velvet or paper (black material). Big black velvet is yeshivish. Black knitted is MO, black leather is also MO. Chabad is anything.
There are lots of nuances, like with a rim/ without. Dh should look around at what the guys in shul he identifies with wear, and copy them. He’ll look like a misfit if he gets this wrong.

MrsMalka

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 6:40 pm
What about black suede?

I saw a study online that says it’s 50% of the time MO, 25% of the time Yeshivish, 25% of the time other

Living Princess

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 7:05 pm
MrsMalka wrote:
What about black suede?

I saw a study online that says it’s 50% of the time MO, 25% of the time Yeshivish, 25% of the time other

Yeshivish guys don't wear suede yarmulkes, they generally wear velvet, a little smaller is usually a little less yeshivish. The plain velvet. They usually don't wear the velvet with the fabric edging that's more chassidish.

MrsMalka

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 7:10 pm
We’re sort of “out of the box” unfortunately. We became frum via Chabad and have many Lubavitch leanings but are probably best classified as JPF…

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 7:14 pm
MrsMalka wrote:
We’re sort of “out of the box” unfortunately. We became frum via Chabad and have many Lubavitch leanings but are probably best classified as JPF…

Where does he daven? Where does he feel most at home? Who are the lay people he respects? That could be helpful.

vintagebknyc

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 7:16 pm
CDL wrote:
Jpf is black velvet or paper (black material). Big black velvet is yeshivish. Black knitted is MO, black leather is also MO. Chabad is anything.
There are lots of nuances, like with a rim/ without. Dh should look around at what the guys in shul he identifies with wear, and copy them. He’ll look like a misfit if he gets this wrong.

And you would never want your DH to look like a misfit. Banging head Banging head Banging head

MrsMalka

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 7:23 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Where does he daven? Where does he feel most at home? Who are the lay people he respects? That could be helpful.

Gedol wise he likes Rav Kook and Rav Hirsch but has a soft spot for the Rebbe Schneerson

Shul wise like modern Yeshivish/ JPF/ RWMO mix

MrsMalka

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 7:24 pm
If it makes a difference: we keep CY and mehadrin kashrus (pas, yashon) but are very Zionist. I wear a pony sheitel most of the time.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 7:41 pm
MrsMalka wrote:
Gedol wise he likes Rav Kook and Rav Hirsch but has a soft spot for the Rebbe Schneerson

Shul wise like modern Yeshivish/ JPF/ RWMO mix
But within the shul, who does he gravitate to?
I think you won't go wrong with a standard black velvet yarmulke. He's not going to feel like an imposter and he'll blend in anywhere.

MrsMalka

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 7:44 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
But within the shul, who does he gravitate to?
I think you won't go wrong with a standard black velvet yarmulke. He's not going to feel like an imposter and he'll blend in anywhere.

We’ve been living here for a couple years and haven’t really been able to make friends with anyone, so I can’t say he gravitates towards anyone.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 7:49 pm
MrsMalka wrote:
We’ve been living here for a couple years and haven’t really been able to make friends with anyone, so I can’t say he gravitates towards anyone.

Sorry about that. But is there any group he feels most comfortable with? Do you have kids in school? No, I don't worry about "Heaven forfend he sticks out like a sore thumb" but I do want to try to help you with this.

MrsMalka

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 7:49 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Sorry about that. But is there any group he feels most comfortable with? Do you have kids in school? No, I don't worry about "Heaven forfend he sticks out like a sore thumb" but I do want to try to help you with this.

Thanks but no kids in school yet

banana split

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 7:55 pm
You can’t go wrong with black cloth/canvas. Not sure exactly how to describe. But jpf and Chabad can be seen with that

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 7:55 pm
MrsMalka wrote:
Thanks but no kids in school yet

Hmmm. I say, go with a basic dark one. He'll be comfortable everywhere. Even in a minyan where everyone else is wearing kipot serugot. (Because they're especially nice people Wink )
Wearing a basic dark yarmulke isn't the same commitment as say wearing a white shirt/suit/hat if that's not where one's at now. Or other full levush.
IF when he gets it, and wears it a bit, he says, eh, that's not me that's cool. He's learning who he is.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics