Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
I live in Ukraine — AMA
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

sequoia

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 12:14 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
I do get the questions. Because it's hard for some of us to feel that Ukraine can so easily rehabilitate itself. OTOH, someone who has strong familial historical ties to Ukraine beyond the Holocaust could understandably have warm feelings. But Sequoia, do try to understand where some people are coming from.

Not to mention that antisemitism is real. Yes, in the US but very much so in Europe. So why shouldn't it be logical to wonder if it can be a problem in Ukraine?

But bH I'm happy that it's working for you in so many different ways - the aesthetics, the people etc.

I just thought people would ask about infrastructure. Real estate. Public transportation. Medical care (I have stories!). Covid protocols. Food. Ecology.

Everyday actual life.

Chickensoupprof

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 12:30 pm
So taking down our MH17 😤…. No you aren’t responsible of that.

Do u know the sluchim who lived there and moved to the Netherlands! If so, the rebbetzin is my friend

Studious

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 12:31 pm
I like watch a nice Ukrainian travel show (Orel I Reshka) on YouTube, and one episode definitely had anti-Semitic moments. The show’s host was scheming to sell pretty rocks they found and Hava Nagilla started to play. You know- money grubbing Jews. After watching that I assumed that there would be at least casual anti-Semitism in the Ukraine. Glad to hear that your experience is different.

sequoia

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 12:36 pm
Chickensoupprof wrote:
So taking down our MH17 😤…. No you aren’t responsible of that.

That was the Russians.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 12:36 pm
sequoia wrote:
I just thought people would ask about infrastructure. Real estate. Public transportation. Medical care (I have stories!). Covid protocols. Food. Ecology.

Everyday actual life.

Consider them asked!

Lets_Eat_Pie

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 12:40 pm
If I came to Ukraine as a tourist (maybe someday!), what would your recommend I see and do?

What do you eat on a typical day? On a holiday? Is there traditional Ukrainian food that you'd particularly recommend?

sequoia

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 12:53 pm
Lets_Eat_Pie wrote:
If I came to Ukraine as a tourist (maybe someday!), what would your recommend I see and do?

What do you eat on a typical day? On a holiday? Is there traditional Ukrainian food that you'd particularly recommend?

Kyiv is really pretty in the historic city centre. It’s very easy to explore on foot and by public transport. There’s also a cable car that goes from the lower to the upper city.

I could show you around Smile

Food is amazing here. The dairy products like sour cream, kefir, ayran, butter — everything tastes flavorful and fresh. Seasonal fruits and vegetables are really good — AYLOR but I eat everything. Some of my friends don’t eat strawberries.

Basically you don’t need to seek out special organic food — it’s good everywhere.

I like making vegetarian borsch with sour cream. I’ve also learned how to make really good quince jam.

When I get kosher chicken I make similar type of dishes that I made back in Brooklyn. But I’m also okay with totally vegetarian suppers, and kefir and chocolate for dessert Smile

There is also a huge variety of whole fish sold in grocery stores.

amother
Lotus

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 12:58 pm
Did you ever go to Viledniki? Other keverim of tzadikim? If I ever go back to Ukraine thats where I would want to go, also places my family was from. Where you originally from Kiev ? Last time I was in Kiev was in 1989. Wink

sequoia

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 1:02 pm
amother [ Lotus ] wrote:
Did you ever go to Viledniki? Other keverim of tzadikim? If I ever go back to Ukraine thats where I would want to go, also places my family was from. Where you originally from Kiev ? Last time I was in Kiev was in 1989. Wink

We also left in 1989! Maybe our families even knew each other.

No, I would love to visit Berditchev and Vynnitsya, where my grandparents were from, but haven’t had a chance yet.

Lets_Eat_Pie

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 1:10 pm
Did you have friends and family still living there when you moved back? Was it hard to meet people and make friends?

The food sounds wonderful Very Happy Very Happy I lived in another part of Eastern Europe at one time and also got spoiled with delicious produce.

gr82no

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 1:55 pm
How modern is it? Do you have electricity, plumbing, vehicles like America? Or it’s older or newer?
Do Ukrainians think of themselves as better than Russians?

sequoia

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 1:58 pm
gr82no wrote:
How modern is it? Do you have electricity, plumbing, vehicles like America?

Do we have electricity and plumbing?....

Okay, I’m going to bed.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 2:07 pm
sequoia wrote:

Okay, I’m going to bed.

You did say Ask Me Anything...

Lets_Eat_Pie

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 2:08 pm
sequoia wrote:

Okay, I’m going to bed.

Admit it, you post to Imamother via telex machine. LOL LOL LOL

GLUE

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 2:46 pm
When ever I see on the news about Ukraine they always show pictures of bombed out Soviet Style Apartment blocks. How common is that really? How common is Soviet Style Apartment blocks to begin with?

sequoia

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 2:48 pm
GLUE wrote:
When ever I see on the news about Ukraine they always show pictures of bombed out Soviet Style Apartment blocks. How common is that really? How common is Soviet Style Apartment blocks to begin with?

I live in a horrid modern complex.

Soviet style is much better.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 3:11 pm
sequoia wrote:
Kyiv is really pretty in the historic city centre. It’s very easy to explore on foot and by public transport. There’s also a cable car that goes from the lower to the upper city.

I could show you around Smile

Food is amazing here. The dairy products like sour cream, kefir, ayran, butter — everything tastes flavorful and fresh. Seasonal fruits and vegetables are really good — AYLOR but I eat everything. Some of my friends don’t eat strawberries.

Basically you don’t need to seek out special organic food — it’s good everywhere.

I like making vegetarian borsch with sour cream. I’ve also learned how to make really good quince jam.

When I get kosher chicken I make similar type of dishes that I made back in Brooklyn. But I’m also okay with totally vegetarian suppers, and kefir and chocolate for dessert Smile

There is also a huge variety of whole fish sold in grocery stores.

I had the milk in the Ukraine when I went to uman and it is incredible!! Does not taste anything like the US milk. My brother lives in kiev and absolutely loves it. He is there for business. Anonymous cuz a lot of people know that about me

amother
Burntblack

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 3:28 pm
Why would you go back after leaving ?
After leaving the former USSR, you couldn’t pay me enough to ever even want to go back to visit …. forget about living there & I left as a child
My husband who came from Ukraine as an adult , feels 100% the same would never step foot on that soil
I’ve never heard of people going back to live there .
🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

sequoia

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 3:36 pm
amother [ Burntblack ] wrote:
After leaving the former USSR, you couldn’t pay me enough to ever even want to go back to visit …. forget about living there & I left as a child
My husband who came from Ukraine as an adult , feels 100% the same would never step foot on that soil
🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

It’s more common than you think Smile

(Though, yeah, not that common).

In Ukraine there is a sense of excitement, of participating in an important project. Young people are very sincere and patriotic. It’s different since ‘14, I wish your dh could see it.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 3:41 pm
amother [ Burntblack ] wrote:
🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

My Chabad neighbor who lived in Monsey and grew up in the Ukraine just moved back to the Ukraine with her DH and two little kids. They are loving it there. Her DH keeps in touch with mine and they said that they are so happy there.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating