Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Mother of bas mitzvah

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 24 2021, 4:00 am
Please help out a BT with a limited simcha experience.

What level of fancy is acceptable for a bas mitzvah nowadays?
We already had a thread about kids' clothes being less festive now than years ago, and what about mothers?

I know I don't want to outshine my daughter and she will have a floor length dress with a lace bodice and a flared bottom.
So what would people wear?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 24 2021, 6:29 am
Also, please post links or IG profiles wkth examples, if possible!

amother
Viola

Post Tue, Aug 24 2021, 6:47 am
I think you need to describe your community/circles. Because it is very dependent....
Things are likely a bit fancier in your community than others, if your daughter is wearing a floor length gown type dress....in my circles the girls wear a nice Shabbos outfit, and so do their mothers. I've also been to those where the family dresses in fancy in-between type of weekday clothes, "business casual." Are you sure that's how the bas mitzvah girls dress in your community--you may want to double check.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 24 2021, 8:34 am
amother [ Viola ] wrote:
I think you need to describe your community/circles. Because it is very dependent....
Things are likely a bit fancier in your community than others, if your daughter is wearing a floor length gown type dress....in my circles the girls wear a nice Shabbos outfit, and so do their mothers. I've also been to those where the family dresses in fancy in-between type of weekday clothes, "business casual." Are you sure that's how the bas mitzvah girls dress in your community--you may want to double check.

Things are very diverse in my community. People do whatever they can afford. It ranges from very casual to pretty festive. I also haven't been to many bas mitzvah parties myself and haven't seen what other moms wore.

For my daughter we just bought whatever she liked, she is hard enough to please and not easy to find a good fit. The dress was actually tea length but it is floor length for her.

So my objective is to look appropriately festive.
If I see in other people's links what the range of possible is, I will be able to calibrate my own outfit accordingly.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Tue, Aug 24 2021, 8:37 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Things are very diverse in my community. People do whatever they can afford. It ranges from very casual to pretty festive. I also haven't been to many bas mitzvah parties myself and haven't seen what other moms wore.

For my daughter we just bought whatever she liked, she is hard enough to please and not easy to find a good fit. The dress was actually tea length but it is floor length for her.

So my objective is to look appropriately festive.
If I see in other people's links what the range of possible is, I will be able to calibrate my own outfit accordingly.

Do you happen to have a link to the dress your daughter will wear?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 24 2021, 8:41 am
amother [ NeonPurple ] wrote:
Do you happen to have a link to the dress your daughter will wear?

Something like this

https://www.asos.com/little-mi.....aw.ds

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Aug 24 2021, 8:43 am
Maybe a nice maxi dress in nice summer colors, but nothing with lace or beading.
Try Burlington, TJMaxx, Marshals, Macy’s, JCPenny

4g01o

Post Tue, Aug 24 2021, 8:49 am
I think a nice, short shabbos dress will be fancy enough. Something that you can wear at relatives simchas afterwards and maybe shabbos.

Mermaidinexile

Post Tue, Aug 24 2021, 8:54 am
I'd go with nice knee or midi length dress and nice heels. Nothing major.

Crookshanks

Post Tue, Aug 24 2021, 2:30 pm
You can check out Sarah Shaffren on Instagram. She's a bas mitzvah motivator so she posts tons of pictures of bad mitzvahs your can use for inspiration.

amother
Whitewash

Post Tue, Aug 24 2021, 3:01 pm
Please enlighten the uninitiated. What is a bas mitzvah motivator? Something tells me it's not a woman who helps girls prepare a dvar Torah or encourages them to start gmachs, commit to saying Tehillim on a weekly basis, or study sefer hamitzvot.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 24 2021, 3:12 pm
Crookshanks wrote:
You can check out Sarah Shaffren on Instagram. She's a bas mitzvah motivator so she posts tons of pictures of bad mitzvahs your can use for inspiration.

Do you have the actual IG profile? Because I cannot find her

Crookshanks

Post Tue, Aug 24 2021, 3:47 pm
https://www.instagram.com/sorahshaffren/

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 24 2021, 4:01 pm
Crookshanks wrote:
https://www.instagram.com/sorahshaffren/

Oh this is the spelling I haven't tried! Thank you!

amother
Mintgreen

Post Tue, Aug 24 2021, 4:25 pm
amother [ Whitewash ] wrote:
Please enlighten the uninitiated. What is a bas mitzvah motivator? Something tells me it's not a woman who helps girls prepare a dvar Torah or encourages them to start gmachs, commit to saying Tehillim on a weekly basis, or study sefer hamitzvot.

A motivator is one who gets and keeps the girls up and dancing. She leads them in dances and brings out shtick to keep them interested and the dance floor lively. Otherwise, sometimes you have girls just sitting around the table smoozing or worse, being clicky and hiding in the bathroom.

The type of motivation you are referencing, hopefully comes either from within or from a mother/aunt/teacher with whom the girl has a long-standing and b’kavod relationship.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics