Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Uniform shirts when your kid is plus size
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 25 2021, 1:31 pm
I can’t be the only one with this problem. My daughter is chunky with a big stomach. This is the first year she has to wear shirts as opposed to polos. The size that buttoned around her stomach is huge at the shoulders and sleeves! How do I make it look normal on her?? Once the weather is cooler she’s going to wear a sweater, but until then I know she’s going to insist on wearing them plain, that’s how most kids go. She’s not naturally the most put-together kid, doesn’t have much awareness of how she looks, I need to make sure her clothes fit well so she looks presentable. Please help.

Lovable

Post Wed, Aug 25 2021, 1:34 pm
Cut the shirt to a dickie and let her wear a sweater
Or if there is an option of Unishell for her uniform, let her wear that with a sweater
Or crop it and let her wear with a vest

yaye

Post Wed, Aug 25 2021, 1:34 pm
I got landsend. They fit her better

amother
DarkViolet

Post Wed, Aug 25 2021, 1:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I can’t be the only one with this problem. My daughter is chunky with a big stomach. This is the first year she has to wear shirts as opposed to polos. The size that buttoned around her stomach is huge at the shoulders and sleeves! How do I make it look normal on her?? Once the weather is cooler she’s going to wear a sweater, but until then I know she’s going to insist on wearing them plain, that’s how most kids go. She’s not naturally the most put-together kid, doesn’t have much awareness of how she looks, I need to make sure her clothes fit well so she looks presentable. Please help.

I have this problem. I get her the size that closes comfortably around her stomach then I have the sleeves hemmed professionally so the cuffs stay nice. I need to hem a good few inches on the sleeve. I don’t bother with the shoulder. Once the sleeve isn’t long it looks neat.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 25 2021, 1:36 pm
Lovable wrote:
Cut the shirt to a dickie and let her wear a sweater
Or if there is an option of Unishell for her uniform, let her wear that with a sweater
Or crop it and let her wear with a vest
How do I present this without hurting her feelings? 99% of the kids in her class wear shirts tucked into skirts when the weather is warm

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 25 2021, 1:37 pm
amother [ DarkViolet ] wrote:
I have this problem. I get her the size that closes comfortably around her stomach then I have the sleeves hemmed professionally so the cuffs stay nice. I need to hem a good few inches on the sleeve. I don’t bother with the shoulder. Once the sleeve isn’t long it looks neat.
Wow, that must cost a fortune. I just paid 25 dollars to hem each of her skirts because we had to get a bigger size as well. On top of what the skirts themselves cost.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 25 2021, 1:37 pm
sm236 wrote:
I got landsend. They fit her better
They don’t have the color we need. Old navy had, but sold out in her size.

Lovable

Post Wed, Aug 25 2021, 2:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
They don’t have the color we need. Old navy had, but sold out in her size.

Did you call Old Navy and ask them to search all their stores in the US? My mother always did that when she really needed something they were sold out of. And they searched all their locations and shipped it

Lovable

Post Wed, Aug 25 2021, 2:21 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How do I present this without hurting her feelings? 99% of the kids in her class wear shirts tucked into skirts when the weather is warm

Hmm
Is there ANYONE in her class who wears a sweater or vest even now, in the warm weather? even one girl would make a diff, so she isnt the only one
Pity. in my school we always wore vests or sweaters even in the warm weathers

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 25 2021, 2:42 pm
Lovable wrote:
Did you call Old Navy and ask them to search all their stores in the US? My mother always did that when she really needed something they were sold out of. And they searched all their locations and shipped it
I was thinking to do this, thanks for encouraging me.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 25 2021, 2:46 pm
Lovable wrote:
Hmm
Is there ANYONE in her class who wears a sweater or vest even now, in the warm weather? even one girl would make a diff, so she isnt the only one
Pity. in my school we always wore vests or sweaters even in the warm weathers
Yeah there are a couple, I don’t know if she’s thought about it much, it’s just that she’s expecting to be able to wear shirts, I’m not sure how “here’s a dickey and a sweater, put it on” will go over the first day of school. If she asks for a shirt, what will I do then? I’m thinking I can get a shirt and dickey and just present it as a more comfortable option and hope she goes for it. But I will still need some decently fitting shirts in case she doesn’t.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Wed, Aug 25 2021, 2:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Wow, that must cost a fortune. I just paid 25 dollars to hem each of her skirts because we had to get a bigger size as well. On top of what the skirts themselves cost.

They were under $10 per shirt and I only get 2 shirts. This upto $20 for alterations she should look like a mensch won’t break it...

amother
Marigold

Post Wed, Aug 25 2021, 2:52 pm
How do you get only 2 shirts?

I found the company BY styles to be a wider cut than Betty Z. Did you try that?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 25 2021, 3:30 pm
amother [ Marigold ] wrote:

Where can I find these in Lakewood or online?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 25 2021, 3:30 pm
They were under $10 per shirt and I only get 2 shirts. This upto $20 for alterations she should look like a mensch won’t break it...
For 10 dollars it’s definitely worth it I just don’t think I can get it done locally for that cheap. Seems a big job, taking off a cuff and sewing back on.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Aug 25 2021, 3:39 pm

My plus size child is also my least neat/coordinated/body conscious child. (And has more BO). 2 shirts would not cut it for her.

Sorry, I spend significantly more to dress her that anyone else (and she still looks the worst). It is what it is. She needs to feel good about herself.

cbsp

Post Wed, Aug 25 2021, 3:47 pm
We've been buying the Becky Thatcher brand from Fraylichs. It's a more generous cut...

https://www.fraylichschoolunif.....-blue

Land's End also has a plus size. DD12 didn't like the shirts, despite them fitting beautifully, because the ones we got don't have a pocket...

For the skirts we originally ended up with the high school styles skirt that came in a shorter length (so no hem needed) but man, were they $$$. So for a while we bought the longest kids French Toast pleated skirt with an adjustable tabbed waist. She outgrew them in length at the end of last year. For this year we bought the French Toast adult sized pleated skirt that kinda worked for length and I'll be taking in the waist a bit. I also have some elastic, so if I'm ambitious I may attempt to elasticized the skirts myself.

B'hatzlacha, it's really frustrating...

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 25 2021, 3:49 pm
cbsp wrote:
We've been buying the Becky Thatcher brand from Fraylichs. It's a more generous cut...

https://www.fraylichschoolunif.....-blue

Land's End also has a plus size. DD12 didn't like the shirts, despite them fitting beautifully, because the ones we got don't have a pocket...

For the skirts we originally ended up with the high school styles skirt that came in a shorter length (so no hem needed) but man, were they $$$. So for a while we bought the longest kids French Toast pleated skirt with an adjustable tabbed waist. She outgrew them in length at the end of last year. For this year we bought the French Toast adult sized pleated skirt that kinda worked for length and I'll be taking in the waist a bit. I also have some elastic, so if I'm ambitious I may attempt to elasticized the skirts myself.

B'hatzlacha, it's really frustrating...
That brand doesn’t have the color we need. We figured out skirts, got a big size and hemmed them.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Wed, Aug 25 2021, 3:54 pm
amother [ Marigold ] wrote:

Yes she has this in white for Rosh Chodesh but her reg uniform only comes in Betty. I only need 2 shirts because I made some dickies from old shirts so I’m good.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Wed, Aug 25 2021, 3:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
For 10 dollars it’s definitely worth it I just don’t think I can get it done locally for that cheap. Seems a big job, taking off a cuff and sewing back on.

It’s actually a very simple job. Cut off cuff. Snip the sleeve part, sew back by machine. It really shouldn’t be more than 10.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics