Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
All the same initial

Would you name a child 2 names with the same initial as your last name?
Yes  
 58%  [ 44 ]
No  
 41%  [ 31 ]
Total Votes : 75

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 24 2021, 6:26 pm
Would you name your child 2 names that have the same initial as your last name? Ex: Baruch Berel Brody, Dina Dalia Davidoff etc. The full 3 names would be 8 syllables

amother
Midnight

Post Tue, Aug 24 2021, 6:36 pm
I voted no. idk why it would bother me but it would.

zaq

Post Tue, Aug 24 2021, 6:37 pm
The deciding factor wouldn’t be the repeated initials but the sound of the name and how offensively kids can twist it. I wouldn not, for example, use double or triple P’s.

Azriel Avraham Arinoff? Why not? Chedva Chana Chanukayeva? Not so much.

hodeez

Post Tue, Aug 24 2021, 6:37 pm
More reminiscent of a book character than a real person's name

tigerwife

Post Tue, Aug 24 2021, 6:38 pm
I voted yes because my grandfather recently passed away and both of his names begin with the same letter as our last name. I’m not sure I’d do it deliberately, though.

amother
Stoneblue

Post Tue, Aug 24 2021, 6:45 pm
Need more context
To name after a beloved grandfather? Probably yes.
Just for fun? No.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Aug 24 2021, 6:46 pm
It would depend. Is it a common two name combo? Is it vowels or consonents? Randomly, probably lean towards not. Is it a family name? Maybe yes anyway.

Fave

Post Tue, Aug 24 2021, 6:54 pm
Menachem Mendel Morgenstern - why not?

Ruchama Rochel Rochlitz - maybe not.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 24 2021, 7:00 pm
It's not an exact family name. Maybe we'll work on it and see what else we can come up with

dena613

Post Tue, Aug 24 2021, 7:04 pm
zaq wrote:
The deciding factor wouldn’t be the repeated initials but the sound of the name and how offensively kids can twist it. I wouldn not, for example, use double or triple P’s.

Azriel Avraham Arinoff? Why not? Chedva Chana Chanukayeva? Not so much.
I

No, triple A!!!!

gr82no

Post Tue, Aug 24 2021, 9:49 pm
I’ve heard of a zzz makes me think of going to sleep I also know of an rrr but that person only goes by one of the names so it’s not that bad.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Aug 24 2021, 9:59 pm
Fave wrote:
Menachem Mendel Morgenstern - why not?

Ruchama Rochel Rochlitz - maybe not.

Menachem Mendel also came to my mind, as that is my son's name...but our last name doesn't start with an M. However, if it did, I'd absolutely name it as it is for our grandfather.

What happens if a Brocha Baila Halpert gets set up with Benyamin Bachman. Does she say no because her initials will be BBB or because they'll be BBB & BB 4 ever?

What about Kayla Kreindel Berger getting set up with Kalman Klein? Is it reason to say no so your initials won't be KKK?

So...I agree with a PP... I wouldn't do it on purpose (but also wouldn't not) but it's not the end of the world ... unless maybe your 3 initials are KKK.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Aug 24 2021, 11:18 pm
I said Id be okay with it, but I agree with other posters that it depends. Some are fine, others are too much.

I clicked thinking this thread would be about giving all your children names that start with the same letter (I'm not a fan, but to each their own)

zaq

Post Wed, Aug 25 2021, 9:48 am
Aquamarine, that's what I thought, too. I am decidedly opposed to that. A. it's cutesy and I detest cutesy. B. It can create problems when mail is addressed to Firstinitial Lastname. C. It's confusing to those outside the family and maybe even in the family.

Rikki: "Yossi is considering dating a girl named Klein--is it Estie? Elka? Edna? Something with an E, at any rate. Do you know anything about her?"
Mikki: " There was an Edna Klein who was valedictorian in my year. No offense, but she's too academic for your brother."

Meanwhile, Edna Klein, who is not at all academic, is perfect for Yossi. Her older sister Elka was the valedictorian.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Aug 25 2021, 10:01 am
My mom had a non Jewish friend who was married to a man with the last name of Ziggler.

(You see where this is going, don't you?)

Yes, the DH decided that all the kids first names had to start with Z. They had 8 or 9 kids last time I checked.

That family had a whole "sister wives" vibe about it. Kind of creepy. The wife was nice, though.

BH Yom Yom

Post Wed, Aug 25 2021, 11:46 am
This thread is reminding me of “Rav ZZZ” (Zanvel Zevulun) Very Happy

zaq

Post Wed, Aug 25 2021, 2:12 pm
BH Yom Yom wrote:
This thread is reminding me of “Rav ZZZ” (Zanvel Zevulun) Very Happy
Not to mention the Zaqarias family:
Zenobia Zilpa
Zvi Zohar
Zehava Zlata
Zivia Zippora
Zerach Zelig
Zemach Zion
Zecharia Zisha
Zephania Zakkai
Zuriel Zalman
and introducing the twins Ziv Ze'ev and Ziva Zeira.

amother
Lightgray

Post Wed, Aug 25 2021, 2:16 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
Menachem Mendel also came to my mind, as that is my son's name...but our last name doesn't start with an M. However, if it did, I'd absolutely name it as it is for our grandfather.

What happens if a Brocha Baila Halpert gets set up with Benyamin Bachman. Does she say no because her initials will be BBB or because they'll be BBB & BB 4 ever?

What about Kayla Kreindel Berger getting set up with Kalman Klein? Is it reason to say no so your initials won't be KKK?

So...I agree with a PP... I wouldn't do it on purpose (but also wouldn't not) but it's not the end of the world ... unless maybe your 3 initials are KKK.

The last name is the least of her problems. First let her go through childhood unscathed with the name Kayla Kreindel Laugh

It's funny because my last name starts with a K. So I was like, absolutely no way!!!! But some of the others don't seem as bad (Yosef Yitzchok Yablonsky or Sima Shoshana Stern)

Oh and I know someone Brocha Baila, and thankfully her last name doesn't start with a B. Either before or after marriage.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names