Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
As a student, was there a first lesson that stood out?
Previous  1  2

amother
DarkViolet

Post Wed, Aug 25 2021, 1:49 am
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
This teacher that came in and randomly pointed her two fingers on two students, saying the two of you , switch seats, in elementary. Oh we're we scared.
Then the other teachers in highschool who literally stood at door over five minutes, making everyone stand and looking at them, also sort of some teaching methods probably.
I don't remember anything else much, besides a very Young teacher who was three years older ( me eleventh, she out of seminary,) and had so much control that when she left once during session for two minutes, no one dared speaking. And older teachers with tears of experience couldn't even make us quiet ...

What did the 11th grade teacher do? So curious

Goody2shoes

Post Wed, Aug 25 2021, 1:59 am
SafeAtLast wrote:
I don't think she did.
First lesson too?

Cuz she wanted to keep you quiet? How nice and polite
We had this term alot in school with different teachers but I dont remember if it was ever the first lesson
I do remember my 9the grade dikduk teacher introducing herself and in the same sentence saying she never makes mistakes.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Aug 25 2021, 2:29 am
I don't recall from my own years. I definitely remember my daughter's second grade teacher that got me hooked right away at Parent/Teacher Orientation. She asked all mothers to send a water bottle with their girls to school to keep on their desk so they can drink some water at any time when they need. The understanding and empathy of that teacher was apparent from the start and the students felt it. Of course her lessons were amazing. But if you really care about your students, they will fell it and THAT will make a lasting impression!

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Aug 25 2021, 2:30 am
In 7th grade, our history teacher came in, didn't say a word, took out a bowl, and broke an egg into it. She then asked us to write what we saw.

After, she called on some girls to read. Her point was perspective, and how everyone sees the world differently, as a prelude to world history.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Aug 25 2021, 2:52 am
I don't have any memorable first lessons. But as a teacher, I like to go with a puzzle theme. I divide them into groups and give them each a simple kids puzzle to do, but I've taken a piece out before I give it to them. They work hard making the puzzle and then notice a piece is missing. I say, "oh it must have fallen in the cabinet let me look" and bring them the missing piece. Afterwards, we discuss how they felt and how the puzzle looked when that one piece was missing vs complete. And tell them that they are each a puzzle piece. Different shapes, colors patterns but without one of them the whole class isn't complete, each girl is such an important part of the class. I embellish the speech more but that's the idea. I hope the girls find if memorable

Elfrida

Post Wed, Aug 25 2021, 3:06 am
I remember the first day on a new school the teacher for the last lesson shouted at us for not lining up neatly outside the room, then shouted at us again for sitting down before he said we could, expected us to memorize the full conjugation of a french verb on the spot, and finished by keeping us in ten minutes. He claimed this was to make up for the time he had had to waste telling us off. We missed the relatively empty busses for the first years and had to scramble for buses with the rest of the school.

Definitely memorable, but more as an example of what to avoid rather than what to aim for.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Wed, Aug 25 2021, 3:48 am
A chumash teacher had us stand and do stretches and start every class singing תורת ה' תמימה
The idea was to get air into our lungs and to approach Torah with joy.
I do remember a lot from that class, so it must have worked.

amother
Watermelon

Post Wed, Aug 25 2021, 5:12 am
We used to get the mirror speech. A teacher is like a mirror, and the way we behave to her that's how she will behave back to us.
Unfortunately some of my kids teachers still believe in that

amother
Eggshell

Post Wed, Aug 25 2021, 6:35 am
SafeAtLast wrote:
איסטרא בלאגינה קיש קיש קאריא

If you know you know. Nuff said.

(First sentence in a new High School.)

Was this in bp? Because there’s some mush in my brain I can’t place.

Sunny Days

Post Wed, Aug 25 2021, 6:38 am
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
I don't have any memorable first lessons. But as a teacher, I like to go with a puzzle theme. I divide them into groups and give them each a simple kids puzzle to do, but I've taken a piece out before I give it to them. They work hard making the puzzle and then notice a piece is missing. I say, "oh it must have fallen in the cabinet let me look" and bring them the missing piece. Afterwards, we discuss how they felt and how the puzzle looked when that one piece was missing vs complete. And tell them that they are each a puzzle piece. Different shapes, colors patterns but without one of them the whole class isn't complete, each girl is such an important part of the class. I embellish the speech more but that's the idea. I hope the girls find if memorable

This is beautiful!

amother
Almond

Post Wed, Aug 25 2021, 9:54 am
I can't say I remember any dynamite first lessons. What I remember is the impression some teachers made. Like Mr. X who walked in and barked "Shuddup and siddown." Mr. Y who started with a diffident "welcome to 12th-year Physics" --it was 11th-year Chemistry. Dr. Park who I assumed would be a young Korean fellow and turned out to be a delightful Jewish bubby who would say things like "Suppose you were meeting a friend on 42nd. Street. No, I don't want you to meet your friend on 42nd Street; suppose you were meeting your friend on 59th Street."

(For the very young and those unfamiliar with NYC, the west side of 42nd Street was once one of Manhattan's sleaziest areas. I won't go into detail; suffice it to say that it would have been most inadvisable for a respectable young woman to arrange to meet anyone there.)

HeartyAppetite

Post Wed, Aug 25 2021, 10:03 am
I still remember this story my 6th grade teacher told us.
The bird in the hand story:

In a small village there lived a wise old man to whom everyone turned for guidance and advice. One day, a young boy decided he would confront the old man with a question that he knew the old man would not be able to answer correctly. His plan was to find a little bird and hold it cupped in his hands hidden from sight. He would then approach the wise old man and ask him to guess what he had buried in his hands. If the old man answered it correctly, he would then ask him the zinger – whether the bird alive or dead? If the old man said the bird was alive, the boy would crush the bird with his hands and kill it thereby proving the old man wrong. But if the old man said it was dead, the boy would open his hands and let the bird fly free demonstrating at last that the old man was not as wise as everyone thought him to be.

So the boy ventured off and found a little sparrow that fit neatly within his hands. As he approached the old man, the boy said, “wise old man, can you tell what I have in my hands?” “Why of course I can,” the old man responded without hesitation. “From all the small feathers clinging to your jacket and pants it is plain to see it is a little bird that you have cradled in your hands.” “Ah, that is so” the young boy exclaimed, “but is the bird alive or dead?” The old man paused for a moment then rubbed his chin in contemplation of his response. Looking the young boy in the eyes, the old man replied in a soft tone “whether the bird is alive or dead is in your hands my child. The choice is yours.”

She made a point that the choice is ours how the year and our life turns out.

Last edited by HeartyAppetite on Wed, Aug 25 2021, 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Aug 25 2021, 10:14 am
My fourth grade afternoon teacher walked into the classroom on the first day of school singing . She sang this song. Then she taught us this song . We sang it every day as we stood near our desks, as soon as she walked into class. I remember the tune and the words until this day. This was 31 yrs ago!
I loved everything she ever taught. Most of anything I remember from learning was from things I’ve learned in her class.

This was the song:

Just incredible!
Every single day
Math and science, history
Spelling, script
What will it be?

Machanayim at recess time
What a sport
So much time
Though the day seems short

Oh ! What will it be today?

Snap your fingers 1-2-3
School can be fun we all agree
Snap your fingers 1-2-3
Today will be exciting you will see

What will it be today ?

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Wed, Aug 25 2021, 11:10 am
I don't remember anything from elementary or high school but when I was in college to become an OT, one professor had us do an activity in the first day to demonstrate how therapy sessions should work.

We paired up and had our palms touching, hands up in front of us. She played music and in each pair, we chose 1 leader and 1 follower. And we had to dance... and keep to our roles. And then she stopped the music and we switched roles and started dancing again. And then she continued to playing the music and we had to switch back and forth randomly without stopping. So my partner and I switched back forth who was leading and who was following. And it was so powerful to experience a real kinesthetic example of how therapy works. It stuck with me that yes, I will be the therapist who plans the session but the client is also the leader. And it is a real art to successfully "dance together" in therapy.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Wed, Aug 25 2021, 12:01 pm
SafeAtLast wrote:
איסטרא בלאגינה קיש קיש קאריא

If you know you know. Nuff said.

(First sentence in a new High School.)

What does this mean?
Does not sound familiar

amother
Almond

Post Wed, Aug 25 2021, 12:24 pm
If I'm not mistaken, it means that one small thing in an empty vessel makes a big noise. IOW, the most empty-headed people make the most noise. Kind of like saying "better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Wed, Aug 25 2021, 12:42 pm
Hey I’m a high school history teacher and I’d love a good into for tmrw. If anyone has any good ideas or link to a good article to share with my students then please share!!
(Anything about the importance of learning history, or a cute article on the US Government,etc…)

Amelia Bedelia

Post Wed, Aug 25 2021, 1:06 pm
amother [ Oxfordblue ] wrote:
Hey I’m a high school history teacher and I’d love a good into for tmrw. If anyone has any good ideas or link to a good article to share with my students then please share!!
(Anything about the importance of learning history, or a cute article on the US Government,etc…)

The classic Historia introduction we had probably every year during high school was בראשית ברא אלוקים- בשביל ישראל שנקרא ראשית
Anything happening anywhere in the world affects us Jews somehow, or for us to learn some sort of lesson. Even an earthquake in Turkey or butterfly flapping its wings...

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Wed, Aug 25 2021, 5:44 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
The classic Historia introduction we had probably every year during high school was בראשית ברא אלוקים- בשביל ישראל שנקרא ראשית
Anything happening anywhere in the world affects us Jews somehow, or for us to learn some sort of lesson. Even an earthquake in Turkey or butterfly flapping its wings...

I like this thought. Thanks!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics