Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
6 yr old crying from impetigo

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 10:40 pm
My 6 yo has impetigo. We were at the Dr today and he is already on antibiotics. He was crying when he was taking a shower cuz the water was hurting him. I ended up giving him Tylenol to ease the pain but he keeps waking up in pain. I never knew impetigo can be so painful. Is there anything I can do to ease the pain?

amother
Candycane

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 10:43 pm
Weirdly enough I had impetigo as an adult and it was horrifically uncomfortable. I remember crying in the shower because of how insanely itchy I felt. 24 hours after first application of antibiotic cream gave relief. Until then it was just trying to distract myself. I really hope your child feels better soon! I know how it feels...

boat

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 10:44 pm
Medicated cream and bandaid to cover. Even if it physically won't ease the pain it too much it shows you are giving attention to it and will help him emotionally.

tigerwife

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 10:46 pm
Poor baby! Is he taking oral antibiotics? I remember the doctor recommending to try the creams first but nothing happened until my child took oral abx. Refuah sheleima!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 10:47 pm
This is beyond cream. He started out w 3 little spots that we thought were bites and they morphed into a million in just a day. Id have to cover his whole body w ointment. He is taking oral antibiotics.

kenz

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 11:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This is beyond cream. He started out w 3 little spots that we thought were bites and they morphed into a million in just a day. Id have to cover his whole body w ointment. He is taking oral antibiotics.

My kids had this one summer many years ago and it was one of the worst experiences of my life. One had big huge splotches all over that were horribly painful and ultimately the only thing that worked was an antibiotic shot. Creams did nothing and oral antibiotics would seem to work but it would always come back. If oral antibiotics don’t seem to be working I would ask about a shot.

amother
Aster

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 11:48 pm
Ugh a few of my kids had it this summer. Seems to be going around! It’s horrible

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 11:50 pm
Yes! We have it in my house as well. It's awful! My toddler broke out all over. I got on my face and it's beyond uncomfortable! Creams and wound powder for troublesome spots helped take the edge off.

amother
Camellia

Post Tue, Aug 24 2021, 12:05 am
We have it in my house too, it went round the camp they went to have heard of so many families that have it.
First my 6 year old got it and she also happened to have strep at the same time so they have her oral antibiotics as well the antibiotic cream and BH she only had one big open nasty spot that crusted over pretty quickly from the cream.

Then my 4 year old got it he also has just one big one on his face and the Dr said he just needs the cream but after I asked they gave a paper prescription for the oral that I can fill if it's not getting better but to give it a day or two. After a couple days his big one started crusting over so I didn't fill it but it's been almost a week and he still has little ones popping up BH none have grown or opened but I feel like the oral completely stopped new ones coming in my 6 year old and the cream is just a band aid over the ones my 4 year old has its not stopping the root cause of it so I'm going to fill the oral prescription for my 4 year old tomorrow...

And yes those big nasty ones are super uncomfortable my 4 year old was crying on and off that his face was hurting him until the cream started working. My 6 years old big one was on her leg and she felt pretty uncomfortable too couldn't pull her sock up over it (not that I was telling her too! They say air is best for it!)

It looks like my ten year old may be getting it now too so I guess another trip to the dr unless maybe they will just prescribe stuff over the phone seeing that we pretty much know what it is...

amother
DarkYellow

Post Tue, Aug 24 2021, 12:07 am
O wow! Must be going around! I thought I was the only one! Pls give me chizzuk that they won’t have scars. One dd is very tanned and she got 5 large spots, bigger than a quarter, they are gone bh after meds but they left behind a pink scar and it’s very noticeable against the tanned color of her legs

amother
Cinnamon

Post Tue, Aug 24 2021, 12:10 am
My 6 year old came home with impetigo all over her face and hands from camp. We started with cream, and moved on to oral antibiotics- which also helped with the strep she came home with. The impetigo didn’t hurt, but her throat hurt so much. I love camp.

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Aug 24 2021, 12:49 am
Once saw taking a bath with apple cider vinegar can help.

yc

Post Tue, Aug 24 2021, 3:04 am
I had it once. the warm water makes it itchier. so either bathe in cool water or, if you use really hot water as hot as you can tolerate for a few minutes it gets extremely itchy but it takes out the 'itchiness' for the next while so its worth it.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 24 2021, 4:21 pm
amother [ DarkYellow ] wrote:
O wow! Must be going around! I thought I was the only one! Pls give me chizzuk that they won’t have scars. One dd is very tanned and she got 5 large spots, bigger than a quarter, they are gone bh after meds but they left behind a pink scar and it’s very noticeable against the tanned color of her legs

I don't know if it leaves permanent scars. I sure hope not. My 5 yr old has it over a month ago and still has remnants. Then my 2 yo got it, now my 6 yo got it. It's def going around like hotcakes now, especially on day camp w the kiddie pools and dirty water.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Tue, Aug 24 2021, 4:44 pm
Remind me again why people bend over backwards to get their kids into camps?

They sound like disease ridden slums, considering what's with the kids when they come home. They'd probably be a lot healthier in their own back yards.

We never had any of this when I was a kid. Lice, scabies, impetigo, measles, chicken pox - it just wasn't heard of.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Tue, Aug 24 2021, 5:12 pm
amother [ Hawthorn ] wrote:

They sound like disease ridden slums, considering what's with the kids when they come home. They'd probably be a lot healthier in their own back yards.

We never had any of this when I was a kid. Lice, scabies, impetigo, measles, chicken pox - it just wasn't heard of.

One year Shigella was going around. My daughter started being symptomatic in my hospital room when I was about 8ish hours postpartum.

kenz

Post Tue, Aug 24 2021, 5:15 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don't know if it leaves permanent scars. I sure hope not. My 5 yr old has it over a month ago and still has remnants. Then my 2 yo got it, now my 6 yo got it. It's def going around like hotcakes now, especially on day camp w the kiddie pools and dirty water.

It took a very long time but ultimately all splotches faded away.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 25 2021, 11:43 pm

first of all, this was in day camp. we were home in the city when he got it.

second, at home, we dont have a backyard. so for the kids who dont go to overnight camp, theyre stuck at home once they get home from camp.

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Aug 25 2021, 11:58 pm

You never had chicken pox? That was either because u were vaccinated or u were never around other kids. Everyone I know in my age bracket got it when there was no vaccine. Measles same way. Everyone got it before there was a vaccine. Im not sure where you are coming from. Im old enough to have had chicken pox and also had lice that I caught from babysitting. I never lived in disease ridden slums.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics