Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Nefesh Academy

amother
White

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 10:24 pm
any one information on this school.
I was told that they changed from being a Kiriv school to accepting kids struggling with yiddishkeit.
Is this true? What kind of student body do they have?
Please post any information that you have!!
Thanks

(Posting annon bec plenty ppl know I'm looking into this school)

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 10:28 pm
I have a close family member that goes there, and yes, it's true.

This girl went to a few other schools and hated them - she finally went to Nefesh and loves it. Very warm and devoted staff, they talk about Hashem a lot and a lot of pnimiyus, focus on internal instead of external. I went to the school play this year and was so impressed - there was such a positive atmosphere, it was clear the girls loved the staff and vice versa, it looked so accepting and happy.

I also know some of the teachers irl and they are truly special people. They give the girls lots of personal attention.

amother
White

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 7:27 am
Op here
Thanks for your reply. Would you know if the students backgrounds are from by type of families?
Just trying to find info for someone, the girl is from a by type of home, is that the general student body there?

cnc

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 10:28 am
amother wrote:
Op here
Thanks for your reply. Would you know if the students backgrounds are from by type of families?
Just trying to find info for someone, the girl is from a by type of home, is that the general student body there?

I know one girl there and yes she is from a BY type of home.

reality mom

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 10:54 am
amother wrote:
Op here

Im a former teacher at the school. (The last two years). Id say that the school is fifty percent girls from Russian/Bucharian/Syrian backgrounds and the other half are girls from frum (Ashkenaz) Bais Yaakov homes. Its a very warm and friendly environment with wonderful devoted teachers and sufficient extracurricular activities.

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Jul 24 2016, 5:45 pm
Does anyone know if this school would be appropriate for a girl with some learning and social difficulties? She's too high functioning for a special school but in most mainstream schools, she might have trouble making friends and keeping up with the work.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 4:18 pm
Any updates on where the school is at now? I have a friend who is planning to send her struggling daughter there, and I’d love to be able to reassure her (or steer her away, if necessary). Girl is from a solid BY background with very frum, sincere, ehrliche, etc. parents. She is struggling in a big way and giving her parents a hard time, but would be amenable to help. She needs a warm, accepting school, which will work with her, where she is at. Good friends would be an asset.

Any information on the staff, student body, outlook, atmosphere, etc. would be much appreciated. (Success stories would be great to hear, as well.) TIA

admir

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 5:54 pm
I am also interested in current information about the school. I am looking for a school that would be appropriate for a girl with mild learning disabilities who needs a supportive small environment. Would the school be appropriate for her or do they attract kids with behavioral/emotional issues?

MrsLeo

Post Thu, Aug 12 2021, 2:55 pm
Any updated on this? My daughter is in special ed and the school isn't willing to deal with her minor behavioral problems for some reason and insisting I send her somewhere else and suggested Nefesh. She is a very naive girl so I dont want to expose her to anything inappropriate. She is going into 8th grade.
Any info would be appreciated.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 9:51 am
I'm very familiar with Nefesh HS. It is not for special ed or behavioral issues. Nefesh is a really amazing school, very warm, caring environment for HS girls who need a little more space and acceptance. Many of their graduates successfully continue on to seminaries in Eretz Yisroel.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 11:23 am
Tiferes miriam may be appropriate for someone with learning issues

MrsLeo

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 11:59 am
She doesn't have learning issues, she has behavioral issues, she does things to get attention.

amother
PlumPink

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 12:29 pm
What about Shalsheles ?
MrsLeo wrote:
She doesn't have learning issues, she has behavioral issues, she does things to get attention.

MrsLeo

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 1:42 pm
How to shalsheles compare to Nefesh?

amother
PlumPink

Post Tue, Aug 17 2021, 2:28 pm
I guess similar idea to Nefesh , small warm school , academically supportive, has elementary and HS- if you want more info I have a friend who teaches there

MrsLeo

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 9:50 am
FYI, Nefesh only has a high school. I didnt know that.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 12:42 pm
Years ago Nefesh and Shalsheles were more similar as they were both founded to be m'karev immigrants from the former Soviet Union. Nefesh is now geared to good girls from frum families who are looking for warmth, understanding and sense of belonging.
The curriculum is unique because it is academic and enjoyable, giving girls information, skills and real perspecives that girls need to build successful Jewish lives.

FraidelR

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 1:51 pm
I don't know anything about Shalsheles, but my daughter went to Nefesh for 11-12th grades.
Before that she attended a mainstream Bais Yaakov.
Nefesh is a gem of a school with individualized approach for each girl and their unique needs. The environment in the school is definitely very warm and accepting. They go above and beyond to help and inspire the girls. Teachers become lifelong friends. For teenage girls, not feeling like they're constantly being scrutinized under a microscope is a huge relief. My daughter blossomed in Nefesh and B"H is now heading for her 2nd year in seminary in Israel.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Aug 01 2023, 6:57 pm
Hi. Looking for any updated information on the school. Is it still primarily made up of girls from Russian backgrounds? Do the majority of the girls live in brooklyn or do they commute from other places?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics