Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
BEST FREEZABLE POTATO KUGEL

amother1223

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 1:57 pm
I'm looking for the best freezable potato kugel recipe that you have. Everytime I make kugel its delicious out of the oven but if I freeze it is tastes watery and shmushy. Looking for something I can make in bulk now for yontiv. Thank you!

mizle10

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 2:05 pm
It’s not how you bake it, it’s how you rewarm it.
Potato’s in general do not freeze great.
The only way my family enjoys frozen kugel is if I “overnight” it. I usually serve it Friday afternoon, so Friday morning I’ll put a cup of water ontop of the kugel, cover tightly, and bake for 4+ hours.

funkyfrum

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 2:19 pm
It doesn't matter what recipe you use. The key is not to let it defrost. Take it from the freezer and pop it into the oven uncovered. It's 95% as good as a fresh kugel.

amother
Mimosa

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 2:22 pm
Bake the kugel at 500 for about 50 until top is brown.
REMOVE FROM OVEN.
Let cool, freeze.
When warming up, put in right into the oven(while solid frozen) and bake 400 for another 1 1/2 hours. Uncovered.

I add a splash of water on top to have some wetness on top to absorb and crisp up.

liveandlove.ima

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 2:54 pm
I sometimes freeze my kugel raw and pop in the oven it's as fresh as ever.

Lovable

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 2:55 pm
liveandlove.ima wrote:

Does this really work??
Love the idea!

amother
Quince

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 2:57 pm
liveandlove.ima wrote:

Is it brown instead of white?

A1MUM

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 3:02 pm
liveandlove.ima wrote:

my mother often does this if it goes in the freezer right away should stay white.

raich

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 3:46 pm
I have a recipe I make weekly for Overnight Potato Kugel.

You bake it for 2 hours uncovered, and then can either overnight it right away, or freeze it for another time and then overnight it at a later time when you want a "fresh" kugel.

Let me know if you'd like the recipe! It's a real winner. Most people who have tried it have been completely converted Laugh

TCR

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 4:25 pm
Lovable wrote:
Does this really work??
Love the idea!

I make a bunch and freeze raw. Color sometimes turns funny but it's temporary. I uncover and put into a 450 oven erev shabbos for abt 45 min, then lower to 350 till done. Fresh as ever. Baking it will make the color better so don't worry if it looks gray

amother
Tanzanite

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 4:43 pm
raich wrote:
I have a recipe I make weekly for Overnight Potato Kugel.

You bake it for 2 hours uncovered, and then can either overnight it right away, or freeze it for another time and then overnight it at a later time when you want a "fresh" kugel.

Let me know if you'd like the recipe! It's a real winner. Most people who have tried it have been completely converted Laugh

Recipe please!

raich

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 6:03 pm
The Only Overnight Potato Kugel You Should Ever Try:

5 pounds Idaho potatoes
1 large onion
8 eggs
1 cup oil
1 1/2 Tablespoons salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup hot water

Shred potatoes and onion in food processor using the shredding blade. Add in eggs, oil, salt, and pepper and mix. Add hot water and mix again. Pour either into a 9x13 pan or 2 deep loaf pans.
Bake at 350 uncovered for 2 hours.

After this you have two options:
1) go straight to overnighting it—cover tightly with two layers of foil and leave overnight in the oven set to 220.
2) cover tightly with foil, seal in big ziploc bag, and freeze. When you want to overnight it, cover tightly with a second layer of foil and put into 220 degree oven straight from the freezer, for at least 8 hours or overnight--the longer the better!

(This kugel happens to also taste really good without the overnighting option. It’s more creamy but less dark and flavorful. We like it both ways!)

raich

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 6:03 pm
I literally just put two batches into the oven hehe

ra_mom

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 6:12 pm
raich wrote:
The Only Overnight Potato Kugel You Should Ever Try:

5 pounds Idaho potatoes
1 large onion
8 eggs
1 cup oil
1 1/2 Tablespoons salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup hot water

Shred potatoes and onion in food processor using the shredding blade. Add in eggs, oil, salt, and pepper and mix. Add hot water and mix again. Pour either into a 9x13 pan or 2 deep loaf pans.
Bake at 350 uncovered for 2 hours.

After this you have two options:
1) go straight to overnighting it—cover tightly with two layers of foil and leave overnight in the oven set to 220.
2) cover tightly with foil, seal in big ziploc bag, and freeze. When you want to overnight it, cover tightly with a second layer of foil and put into 220 degree oven straight from the freezer, for at least 8 hours or overnight--the longer the better!

(This kugel happens to also taste really good without the overnighting option. It’s more creamy but less dark and flavorful. We like it both ways!)

We love this straight out of the oven, without overnighting it. So delicious!

liveandlove.ima

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 9:30 pm
amother [ Quince ] wrote:
Is it brown instead of white?

forgot to mention, so the top layer does turn slightly brown but that's later the crust so no worries.
I put it straight in freezer and then straight into preheated oven and the inside is bright white.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics