Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Is it normal for a 3 month old to sleep through the night
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 9:46 am
My 3 1/2 month old infant has been Bh giving me nice stretches during the night. But this night he’s been sleeping even more. He fell asleep at 11 pm and slept until 7:30. I fed him and he fell back asleep instantly so I put him back in his crib and he’s still sleeping now at 9:45. Please tell me it’s normal.

amother
Viola

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 9:51 am
Definitely normal. My first slept through the night at 2 months. My second one barely does at 11 months. Different babies have different sleep patterns. Enjoy the sleep!!

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 9:52 am
Check his temperature. He might be fighting off a bug. I know you're enjoying your sleep, but I'd be worried.

I'm glad you fed him in the middle of the night. Babies that little do need to be fed more than once a night. If he's going back to sleep so quickly, it wouldn't hurt to wake him for another feed, every 3 to 4 hours maybe.

Most babies don't give long stretches until 5 to 6 months, and that's usually once they get a little cereal with their bottle just before going to bed.

amother
RosePink

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 9:54 am
I had one dream baby like this. Slept 5-6 hours starting at 7 weeks.she was gaining nicely so I wasn't concerned about that. Then at 18 months she had non stop teething/strep/ear infections and didn't sleep. So I got the no sleep then.

Beingreal

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 9:56 am
My 3 month old sleeps between 7 or 8l and wakes up between 5-7 am.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 10:03 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Check his temperature. He might be fighting off a bug. I know you're enjoying your sleep, but I'd be worried.

I'm glad you fed him in the middle of the night. Babies that little do need to be fed more than once a night. If he's going back to sleep so quickly, it wouldn't hurt to wake him for another feed, every 3 to 4 hours maybe.

Most babies don't give long stretches until 5 to 6 months, and that's usually once they get a little cereal with their bottle just before going to bed.

I’m not enjoying my sleep at all because I’m a bit nervous. I woke up at 6 and jumped off bed to check on him. And then, instead of enjoying it and going right back to sleep I was too nervous and couldn’t fall back asleep.

amother
Bisque

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 10:07 am
My oldest did that at 3 months for a few weeks and then was back to giving me only 5 hour stretches. As long as the baby isn't feverish I wouldn't be concerned.

amother
Dimgray

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 10:11 am
I had similar, baby at that age would go 8+ hours no food consistently
Doc said as long as baby's gaining weight well, don't wake her!

Just One

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 10:31 am
Doesn't sound like this is a sudden drastic change in behavior so I wouldn't worry. I've been blessed in the sleep department bh. My babies were doing 5-6 hour stretches at several weeks old. 6-8 hours at three months and 12 hours by 6 months. Like other posters said, my pediatrician was cool with it as they were otherwise gaining and developing beautifully. So if everything else seems OK just thank your lucky stars and enjoy your nights again!

trixx

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 10:35 am
I wouldn't let him stay asleep in the morning after a morning feed. Wake him up, play with him, go outside etc to see sunlight and start the day, and then go back to sleep. At 3m there should be a 1 hour awake ability already.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 10:40 am
He just woke up and gave me that huge smile that melted my heart. He seems well rested!!

amother
Mocha

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 10:40 am
Lucky you!!!!!!!!!

oakandfig19

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 10:41 am
My baby often slept a full night at 3 months, like 10+ hours. He was born a good sleeper though and was gaining weight so I wasn’t concerned. Although now I’ve begun feeding him at 11 pm since his weight gain isn’t too great, but the doctor has never expressed concerned with his sleep before and in fact said anecdotally a lot of his small baby patients sleep a lot (like mine).

Just One

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 10:44 am
trixx wrote:
I wouldn't let him stay asleep in the morning after a morning feed. Wake him up, play with him, go outside etc to see sunlight and start the day, and then go back to sleep. At 3m there should be a 1 hour awake ability already.

I wouldn't wake him. At that age some babies are already needing that 12 hour stretch and just need a quick refill so they can finish their full night's sleep. Op isn't saying that he's otherwise sleepy, lethargic or non tesponsive

Rachel Shira

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 11:00 am
trixx wrote:

I agree but if his night starts at 11 pm, 7:30 am is not the morning for him. Makes sense that he would go back to sleep for a few more hours.

BrisketBoss

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 11:03 am
I'm a non-worrier. My first was like this. Now she's two years old and still sleeps a lot. Normal bedtime and rarely wakes for the day on her own before 8:30 (and she still naps too).

BrisketBoss

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 11:04 am
Rachel Shira wrote:
I agree but if his night starts at 11 pm, 7:30 am is not the morning for him. Makes sense that he would go back to sleep for a few more hours.

Exactly. Mine would sleep from about 1 to 10 or 11!

Mayflower

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 11:35 am
My 6 month old started sleeping through the night at 8 weeks. From 10 pm till 8 am straight (and I exclusively nursed.)

When I started working at 16 weeks she started waking up again... now she sleeps again for long stretches, usually 8 - 6 . Bh bh.

Enjoy the rest! If baby is happy during the day, gaining weight and developing as he should be, it is perfectly fine!

amother
Green

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 12:22 pm
My first was doing 7:30-4:30 by 3 months and 7:30-6 by 4 months (unfortunately wake up never got later than that)

realsilver

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 2:39 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
My first was doing 7:30-4:30 by 3 months and 7:30-6 by 4 months (unfortunately wake up never got later than that)

Is this by chance, or did you work on it?
Can you share?!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics