Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Scaredy Cat

Mrs. Mommy

Post Sat, Mar 22 2008, 11:25 pm
My 2 year old ds is going through this stage where he is afraid of everything - literally. I am at my wits' end. How do I get him to understand that he doesn't need to be afraid of the toilet flushing, the dryer working or the sink running?!

Bzgirl

Post Sat, Mar 22 2008, 11:54 pm
I have never heard of these fears, but my 2year old runs to me when the bell rings, I understand cuz she has no idea whos coming, and she's also afraid of the bath when I wash her hair.

let the sink run for a while, show him that its fun 2 play with the water, show him that he can touch the water. but I really doubt any of that will help; its a passing phase, and time is all you need for it to pass.

grin

Post Sun, Mar 23 2008, 12:00 am
you can't "explain" things to a 2-yr-old. Just be loving and understanding and he's outgrow it.
If you come on too forceful, it can strengthen the fear.

drumjj

Post Sun, Mar 23 2008, 1:20 am
its totally a faze my daughter is scared of bubbles in the bath the vacum cleaner, snow and many other things but im hoping she will grow out of it meanwhile I try to introduce her slowly to them

cl

Post Sun, Mar 23 2008, 5:20 pm
my son was the biggest scaredy cat
BH not of the toilet flushing, but of the vaccuum, and mainly new surroundings like snow, sand, ocean, swimming pool, ball pit etc

these were generally not every day things so for him I think it was the unfamiliar that scared him but
it really frustrated me n DH cos if we were on vacation n he didnt want to go in the pool, step on the sand, look at the sea etc but BH a year later he has so much more confidence.

so I think its partly a phase an partly us introducing him to these new situations / objects slowly an in a way that he felt secure.

Like in the indoor play-gym place at first he wudnt get anywhere near the toys, so I just sat with him in the balls until he was happy to play there by himself or with a friend, then I wud encourage him 2 go with me up the ladders n down the slides an now BH he is happy to go up n down on his own.

But I also think he might always be a child who is more cautious persoanlity than others, like u see those kids hurtling down the tallest slides at 1 and a half an u see ur kid double his size barely touching the see-saw...

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Mar 23 2008, 5:26 pm
I was a horribly shy kid. blossomed aftger high school and listen to me now !!!!!

happymom

Post Sun, Mar 23 2008, 7:22 pm
I dont think u need to teach him not to be afraid of things. we all have different feelings and fears. we all want to feel loved the way we are.

the only thing that can help is him feeling validated. if he tells u he is scared saying something like, is that scary for you?? or I can see that scares you here let me give you a hug... is the only thing that can help because then hell realize u care bout his real feelings and understand him and when he is ready he can come to realize on his own that he doesnt need to be afaid. noone listens when they are told how to feel because it doesnt help the feeling go away. kids adults, we are all the same.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics