Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Career change at 35
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 2:05 pm
Has anyone changed careers in their mid 30s?

I’ve been a bookkeeper since I got married, about 15 years. It’s become so boring and I am burned out. I barely give even the slightest attention to what I’m doing, I just do everything on autopilot these days.

I need a career change, and I’m willing to go to school if necessary. I’m interested in working with computers, doing something with design and creativity. We can go without my income for a while, or I can learn while keeping my current job.

Anyone have any suggestions or advice?

momomany

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 2:08 pm
I went to school in my 40s, earned my BSN and became an RN.

imasinger

Post Sun, Aug 22 2021, 2:35 pm
I did. I became BT in my mid 30's, and my old career was incompatible with a frum lifestyle.

You may want to start with some career testing, to determine areas of aptitude and interest. It's worth the investment!

sunspot

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 11:49 am
Web Design sounds like a perfect fit!

amother
Outerspace

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 12:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Has anyone changed careers in their mid 30s?

I’ve been a bookkeeper since I got married, about 15 years. It’s become so boring and I am burned out. I barely give even the slightest attention to what I’m doing, I just do everything on autopilot these days.

I need a career change, and I’m willing to go to school if necessary. I’m interested in working with computers, doing something with design and creativity. We can go without my income for a while, or I can learn while keeping my current job.

Anyone have any suggestions or advice?

I was a teacher until my mid-30s. Went back to school and became an RN. Ended up getting a master's and now I'm an NP.

If you can survive without your income while you're in school, great.
What helped me get through it was only thinking one step at a time. I just focused on getting through one semester at a time. Now looking back I have no idea how I did it (gave birth to 3 more babies in the process B"H) but somehow it was done.

stillnewlywed

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 12:52 pm
Go for it! 35 is young, you have many working years ahead of you.

amother
Amber

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 12:54 pm
I am 42, and my family relies on my income working in public school.

I am burned out and my job is not boring but its too stressful. its taking a toll on my health.

my goal when im older and my kids are older is to look into another career.
my aunt went back to school when she was 45 and started a new career.

you are an inspiration to me.

im still wondering what I would like/enjoy and what im good at bec im not sure what id want to do for my change of career.

hatzlacha.

curlyhead

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 3:50 am
Yes I did after getting burned out from my 17 year-long job! A few years ago I started being a virtual assistant. If you like computers and creativity go for it. You can specialize in web design, social media manager, marketing etc. So many VA Facebook groups that can start you off

amother
Bluebell

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 5:06 am
imasinger wrote:
I did. I became BT in my mid 30's, and my old career was incompatible with a frum lifestyle.

You may want to start with some career testing, to determine areas of aptitude and interest. It's worth the investment!

Just wondering how a career would be incompatible with a frum lifestyle?

amother
Snowflake

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 8:16 am
amother [ Bluebell ] wrote:

Maybe she was a [removed]

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 8:45 am
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
I am 42, and my family relies on my income working in public school.

I am burned out and my job is not boring but its too stressful. its taking a toll on my health.

my goal when im older and my kids are older is to look into another career.
my aunt went back to school when she was 45 and started a new career.

you are an inspiration to me.

im still wondering what I would like/enjoy and what im good at bec im not sure what id want to do for my change of career.

hatzlacha.

You may just enjoy working in a different setting that doesn't have the same stress as public school. I also work in public school and its the setting, not the profession that I am burned out from. But alas, I am stuck because I need the salary and benefits.

amother
Moccasin

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 9:00 am
momomany wrote:
I went to school in my 40s, earned my BSN and became an RN.

That’s beautiful!
I’m in my 40,s too- do you feel you have enough energy for the job?

momomany

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 9:10 am
amother [ Moccasin ] wrote:
That’s beautiful!
I’m in my 40,s too- do you feel you have enough energy for the job?

yes! I have been working in the hospital for almost 4 years now. I love it! I no longer have little ones at home which makes it easier.

amother
Moccasin

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 9:26 am
momomany wrote:
yes! I have been working in the hospital for almost 4 years now. I love it! I no longer have little ones at home which makes it easier.

Thanks for the input and encouragement!

Notsobusy

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 10:20 am
Snowflake that was rude and uncalled for and so I reported it. Imasinger is a real person, just like you.

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 11:16 am
amother [ Bluebell ] wrote:

Based on her name I would assume she was a singer!! And there's that whole kol isha thing

amother
Watermelon

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 12:47 pm
Could you do a Twist on what you do now. Like leverage your skills to start something new.

Like my dh hired someone to setup quick books for him for a business. She set it up. Taught him to use it. Comes every so often to do consulting.

Don’t know if that is what you do now. But it seemed interesting snd she is involved in many diff types of things.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 1:53 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
Based on her name I would assume she was a singer!! And there's that whole kol isha thing

Makes sense

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Sep 29 2021, 8:35 am
I don't have anything to add, but I'm in the same position. 35 and in need of a career change. A big hug to you! I've been thinking about speaking with a career counselor but they're pretty expensive..

amother
Vanilla

Post Wed, Sep 29 2021, 8:39 am
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:

I always assumed her last name was Singer. Ima Singer.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics