Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
New boss commented on my slow speed

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 11:55 am
I applied for a job and I am in the 2 week trial period.

The boss is showing me what to do but is very busy.
She showed me on part of what my job will be which I am learning, its not hard but a lot of physical stuff which is a bit hard for me so I am a bit slow at it but getting faster because I am getting used to it.
The last time I was there the boss didnt come in for several hours so I wasnt doing much because I didnt know what to do but was doing filing. When she did come in about a half hour later I told her I am finished and I am leaving.
She commented in passing that what I was doing should of taken me 15 minutes which it did but she didnt realize I was doing something else while she was out of the office. I didnt say anything because I didnt process what she said until I left.
So now she thinks that I am very slow in what I am suppose to do. I am slower than everyone in the office because they have been there for 10 plus years and know where everything is. I just started and learning now.
Do you think this is a problem for going forward? Should I just look for another job?

imasinger

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 12:03 pm
It sounds like the next step is to talk to her and explain a bit.

A lot of managers are willing to give it a bit of time. You can just communicate that you heard the concern and are going to do your best to speed up.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 12:13 pm
What is your job? Is there someone who assigns you work to do or are you supposed to figure out what needs to be done? It does seem strange that if the boss isn't there you don't have anything to do.

Do you have set hours to work or do you leave whenever you finish what has to be done? What does it mean that you told the boss you were leaving? Maybe instead of telling the boss you were finished and are leaving, you could have said something like, I did xyz while you were out. Is there anything else that needs to be done today?

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 12:43 pm
Communication is the most important thing at a job. Go into her and say,
"When you made that comment last week I realized you must have thought I was doing the filing all day. I was actually only doing it for a few minutes and the rest of the time I didn't really have work to do.
Perhaps you can show me other things to do during the time you are out so I can be more productive."
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics