Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Freestanding deep freezer isn’t sealing properly

bargainlover

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 4:06 pm
Frigidaire 20 cu foot large freezer. It’s 8 yrs old, and the seal isn’t closing properly - what can I do to fix or is this only a repairman can do?

questioner

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 4:09 pm
I have a similar issue. The repairman said we would need a replacement door. As of now, we have a child lock that we use to hold it closed as much as possible, and defrost the ice on the bottom with a blow drier periodically.

SDmother

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 4:27 pm
I have the same thing and literally just came back form a 2 week vacation to find it leaking and all our food defrosted😔

teachkids

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 4:54 pm
Try cleaning the rubber seal

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Aug 28 2021, 3:51 pm
Clean the seal well. This may or may not work.

In an emergency, put a thick layer of Vaseline all around the seal, to keep the cold air in. Be careful not to brush up against it or you'll stain your clothes.

Make sure your fridge is level. Nudge it a little and see if it rocks. If so, adjust the feet at the bottom until it is 100% stable.

Go online and see if you can buy a new seal for your model of freezer. It will be several hundred dollars plus installation.

Decide if you want to fix the old freezer, or put the repair money towards a new, more energy efficient one that will save you more money in the long run.

(If you have a garden, old freezers make great garden sheds. Use them to store rakes and shovels, flower pots, and other gardening stuff. Take the seal completely off in case a kid gets in there.)

shanie5

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 8:25 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Clean the seal well. This may or may not work.

In an emergency, put a thick layer of Vaseline all around the seal, to keep the cold air in. Be careful not to brush up against it or you'll stain your clothes.

Make sure your fridge is level.

My 40 plus year old freezer had a seal (gasket) that weny bad. There is no way I would find the same one to replace it. I started looking to replace it when I saw this hack on youtube. I put vaseline where the seal was bad and have not had a problem since. That was at least 3 years ago.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics