Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Freezing honey cake?

challahchallah

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 5:25 pm
Can someone give me step by step instructions on how to freeze honey cake? I normally don’t freeze baked goods because I don’t think they taste as good, but scheduling conflicts this year leave me no choice. Can someone walk me through the details of the process, both for freezing and then defrosting?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 5:32 pm
Cool cake. Wrap tightly in foil. Place into ziploc bag; squeeze out all air and zip shut completely. Freeze.

To defrost, just lay on counter (still in wrappings) and allow to thaw. Actually comes out very moist.

challahchallah

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 5:36 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Cool cake. Wrap tightly in foil. Place into ziploc bag; squeeze out all air and zip shut completely. Freeze.

To defrost, just lay on counter (still in wrappings) and allow to thaw. Actually comes out very moist.

Thank you! So just defrost still in wrappings on counter? How long should I allow to defrost? When should I unwrap it?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 5:38 pm
challahchallah wrote:
Thank you! So just defrost still in wrappings on counter? How long should I allow to defrost? When should I unwrap it?

It takes some time to defrost but not that long. You can just leave it there on the counter and keep it wrapped until ready to use, or unwrap it and place it in a cake dome or cake carrier.

challahchallah

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 5:53 pm
ra_mom wrote:
It takes some time to defrost but not that long. You can just leave it there on the counter and keep it wrapped until ready to use, or unwrap it and place it in a cake dome or cake carrier.

So if I’m using it Monday night for the evening meal, am I better off taking it out Sunday night before bed or Monday morning when I get up? Thank you for answering all of my very basic questions. I really should know this by my age!

ra_mom

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 6:04 pm
challahchallah wrote:
So if I’m using it Monday night for the evening meal, am I better off taking it out Sunday night before bed or Monday morning when I get up? Thank you for answering all of my very basic questions. I really should know this by my age!

Take it out Monday morning.
But really Sunday night is fine too. Sunday night would be like having it out after baking fresh on Sunday. Either way it will taste fresh if it was kept covered.

zaq

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 6:35 pm
Honey cake stays fresh longer than most because the honey holds the moisture (technical term: humectant. Yes, like the stuff in your face lotion). It really makes zero diff if you defrost the same day or the night before.

challahchallah

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 8:42 pm
Ok, so I take it out Monday morning and just leave it wrapped until Monday night? Or I take it out Monday morning, unwrap, and put it in a cake saver?

ImmaBubby

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 8:50 pm
I am usually freezer-phobic but honey cake is the one thing that I have always managed to freeze successfully.
Just follow all the excellent tips posted here and don’t lise a minute’s sleep over this dessert.

tweek

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 9:03 pm
Just one thing that I would do differently. I would use parchment paper instead of silver foil.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 9:04 pm
challahchallah wrote:
Ok, so I take it out Monday morning and just leave it wrapped until Monday night? Or I take it out Monday morning, unwrap, and put it in a cake saver?

Yup leave it wrapped on the counter.

challahchallah

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 9:32 pm
Thank you all for walking me through this in detail!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus