Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Cleaning Help - by the hour or the job?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 12:00 pm
I have once-a-week cleaning help for 4 hours. I pay her $x per hour.

This past week, my cleaning lady texted me (an hour after she was due to show up) that she would be coming 3 hours late. She actually showed up 3 1/2 hours after her time due. Claimed she had car trouble. I suspect otherwise but whatever.

The timing of her coming so late did not work for me and I told her so.

3 hours later, she told me that she was finished doing the usual cleaning she does for me, and that she expected 4 hours worth of pay as she claimed to have done everything faster.

Who are we kidding, I'm not stupid. She did not mop (my floors weren't so dirty because I had actually mopped 2 days before myself. We are an older family and it doesn't always get so dirty. She only swept.) She didn't do anthing extra like she usually has a bit more time for. Basically she cut corners and tried to get her full pay from me.

I told her our agreement is $x not $y per hour. She left in an angry huff.

I'm pretty annoyed myself. Was I wrong? Or just stuck, because it's hard to find cleaning help?

Amarante

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 12:35 pm
I assume you are just venting.

If you agree to pay someone $x per hour that is the agreement. And if she is able to do the same work in 3 hours, why is she taking 4 normally LOL

I pay my cleaning woman for the job and it actually works out to a huge amount per hour. I actually overpay her but she has been working for me for years and I consider it to be a bit of "charity" which I can afford.

As long as she does the job I don't really care how long it takes her which is why I don't want to pay someone by the hour. FWIW, if I want something extra done each time I tell her and she cheerfully does it. I don't overburden her as I only give her one "extra" request each time. That is how I learned from my mother. In that era the cleaning woman would come for the whole day and as I recall would spend the afternoon ironing.

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 12:39 pm
She pretty much admitted to you that she shleps out her work so that it takes her 4 hours instead of 3. If your agreement is hourly pay then you only owe her for the hours she worked for you.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 2:31 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
She pretty much admitted to you that she shleps out her work so that it takes her 4 hours instead of 3. If your agreement is hourly pay then you only owe her for the hours she worked for you.

Yes this is how I feel. I never make a big deal of things - but often she comes 15 minutes late and then leaves at the same time...I come upstairs and she's on the phone, but supposedly she's also cleaning...yeah right. But I don't sweat the small stuff. (any time I ever tried to say anything she would huff off...you can't tell her anything. She does what she wants. Doesn't communicate well, I suspect on purpose.)

But I guess I just drew the line at this...but now I feel like she may purposely give me even less. And if she does that I will let her go, because she's causing me more stress than she's worth. But then I really need to find someone new, and may be stuck.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries