Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Son goes to the bathroom 8 times a day...

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 9:30 pm
DS is 8 yrs old and he goes to the bathroom for a BM 8 times a day, he's constipated so he keeps going again and again to try.
I believe it's cuz he eats no fruits or vegetables. he just wont eat them.
I make sure he drinks plenty of water and eats only WW bread, brown pasta, the more fiber I can push in the better but it's not helping.

any tips or vitamins that's kid-safe and works?

amother
IndianRed

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 9:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
my son is 8 yrs old and he goes to the bathroom for a BM 8 times a day.
I believe it's cuz he eats zero fruits or vegetables.
I make sure he drinks plenty of water and eats only WW bread, brown pasta, the more fiber I can push in the better but it's not helping.

any tips or vitamins that's kid-safe and works?

Your post is confusing. Is he constipated, or is he having 8 BM a day?

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 9:32 pm
Does he have 8 BM each day? You need to see a doctor about this to see what's causing that and if he is absorbing nutrients. It's not normal.

Or is he trying 8 times each day and only make one BM? That can be constipation. Or maybe he wants some time alone.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 9:33 pm
he's constipated but he never complains and doesn't say anything hurts him.

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 9:46 pm
Miralax

amother
Mimosa

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 9:49 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
Miralax

This. It's a lifesaver. It's over the counter or your doctor can prescribe it. Your son may not be complaining because he doesn't know what a normal BM should be like. Please get it and start giving it to him ASAP. It can be used long term safely.

amother
IndianRed

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 9:51 pm
amother [ Mimosa ] wrote:
This. It's a lifesaver. It's over the counter or your doctor can prescribe it. Your son may not be complaining because he doesn't know what a normal BM should be like. Please get it and start giving it to him ASAP. It can be used long term safely.

This is a bad strategy. It is not advisable for an 8 year old to use Miralax long term. A better solution is figuring out the cause and taking care of the issue. This should be a last resort.

OP, have you discussed this with your child's doctor?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 9:53 pm
no, I didnt take him to the doc in a while. I really should.

I thought it's obviously cuz he wont eat any fruits or vegetables so he has limited fiber.

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 9:55 pm
Does he drink enough?
Also, you can try probiotics.

amother
IndianRed

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 9:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I thought it's obviously cuz he wont eat any fruits or vegetables so he has limited fiber.

It shouldn't be affecting him to this degree. FTR my daughter hardly eats any fruits and veggies and has no issues. You should really discuss this with the doctor and take it from there.

amother
Aster

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 9:59 pm
Not enough fiber is wayyy to simplistic a model for explaining comstipation. It can be a motility thing, food intolerances, etc. I would test for celiac. Magnesium and digestive enzymes make a huge difference here.

watergirl

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 10:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

At age 8, your kids need to see the doctor once a year for a well check-up (we all need to go once a year no matter the age). In any case, he sounds really uncomfortable and a trip to the doctor can get the ball rolling in the right direction. I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but imamother is never a substitute for a health professional. Please take your son to the doctor.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 10:16 pm
watergirl wrote:
At age 8, your kids need to see the doctor once a year for a well check-up (we all need to go once a year no matter the age). In any case, he sounds really uncomfortable and a trip to the doctor can get the ball rolling in the right direction. I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but imamother is never a substitute for a health professional. Please take your son to the doctor.

it absolutely is what I needed to hear. I thought maybe there's a simple answer that I could get from the experienced mothers here. but a doc is definitely the right decision. will call tomorrow morning IYH.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 9:40 am
You can be constipated, and still have several poops a day. One area will be very impacted, but smaller poops can be pushed around the impaction. If the doctor presses on DS's belly, I'm willing to bet that it will be hard and sore in spots.

Definitely test for Celiac. DD was constipated practically from birth. She ate really well, lots of fruits and veggies, but she REALLY loved starchy foods the best. Once she was properly diagnosed, all of her stomach problems went away with a gluten free diet.

In the meantime, try to get your son to eat watermelon. What kid doesn't love watermelon? It's the perfect time of year for it. Let him have as much as he wants, no limit. Watermelon works wonders, because it's both hydrating and full of fiber. It's also a super food, because it's sweet, but very low calorie and low on the glycemic index.

simcha2

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 9:54 am
You probably need to do a "clean out" before doing some kind of maintenance.

But if he is suffering from encopresis he may have compacted stool. You should really take him to a Dr to create a treatment plan.

amother
Lightpink

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 1:12 pm
OP didn't say he experiences encopresis.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics