Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Yom Tov in 10 minutes or less
  Previous  1  2  3   9  10  11  Next

Scotty

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 7:13 am
smss wrote:
Is this the one you were talking about from ra_mom? https://www.imamother.com/foru.....91651

Yes this!!! My comments defiling her perfect recipe in parentheses

1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup sesame oil
1/4 cup olive oil (I leave out)
1/4 cup teriyaki sauce (I use more soy)
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup spicy ducksauce (I use cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg or allspice, sometimes sliced peeled oranges too)
2 Tbsp plum vinegar (or other vinegar)
9-12 cloves garlic, crushed
1/4 cup parsley flakes (optional if kids don’t like visual “spices”)

Make sure to allow the roast to cool before slicing on the diaginal. This is for a roast that's about 5 lbs, so cook for shorter or longer according to the size of your roast.

Literally most forgiving recipe
Just know it smells SUPER weird when cooking. Don’t worry it tastes incredible.

simcha2

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 8:10 am
amother [ Hosta ] wrote:
By popular demand, let me continue Smile

BTW, for the Rosh Hashana challah, I often mix in chocolate chips or raisins when shaping. Alternatively, I egg it (by mixing one whole egg with my brush in a small bowl and roughly spreading some egg over the top) and sprinkle on cinnamon and sugar before baking.

FISH HEAD
Take foil pan (this project is too gross for parchment on a real pan).
Take salmon fish head out of package and try not to look. Be sure to remove pad from under fish head if they put one on.
Loosely cover pan. Put in oven for about a half hour. Anyone who eats it is not that particular anyhow.

SESAME SPAGHETTI
Fill pot about 2/3 with water. Cover, and put on stove. Turn [the correct] burner to high.
When water is at a rolling boil, TURN OFF burner.
Add package of spaghetti (I usually use whole wheat, but white is fine too).
Turn on timer to the higher number of minutes on package.
Stir pot. Cover loosely.
Try to stir pot again halfway through, because spaghetti likes to stick. If you don't, there will probably a be a clump of spaghetti stuck together, which is NOT so terrible, but it's mildly annoying.
When timer rings, drain spaghetti and rinse under cold water. (Yes, I am aware that this is a no-no.)
Transfer spaghetti to serving bowl (I use the Pyrex 2-qt glass mixing bowl which comes with a lid).
Take a 7-9 oz plastic cup. Fill approximately 1/3 with sugar, 1/3 with toasted sesame oil, and 1/3 with La Choy soy sauce. Stir with a plastic spoon and admire how it becomes a syrupy texture.
Dump dressing over spaghetti, sprinkle generously with sesame seeds, and mix.

CHICKEN SOUP
Fill large soup pot about 3/4 full (I usually use an 8 qt pot).
Put on stove. (Admiring your muscles for getting it there is bonus.)
Turn burner to high.
Dump in 2lb package of baby carrots.
Peel 1 large onion and drop into pot.
Peel 1-2 potatoes (pro tip: Buy the jumbo russets and you'll get more potato for less peeling) and add to pot.
When water is boiling, add 2 chicken legs. (Frozen or defrosted, both work fine. For a very rich soup use a whole chicken.)
Generously dump in coarse kosher salt and top with dried dill.
Lower heat to 3 or thereabouts and cover loosely. (If pot is still bubbling madly after a few minutes, you can turn it even lower.)
Taste after it's been cooking a while to see if you need to add salt.

MATZAH BALLS
(I like the Unger's matzah meal the best for the texture and lightness, but it works with other brands too.)
In a medium bowl, pour about half of the can of matzah meal.
Add 5 eggs.
Dump in about a teaspoon of BAKING POWDER. (Just trust me.)
Add some salt and pepper, sometimes I put garlic powder too.
Add a glug or two of oil. (This recipe is also forgiving.)
Mix well. You should have a very thick mixture.
Add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup water or thereabouts and mix again. Now you will have a thin mixture.
Put in fridge, covered or uncovered, for a half hour or more. Mixture will magically have thickened!
Return soup to rolling boil, uncover.
Wash hands, make walnut or larger balls out of the mixture and drop directly into soup.

MOCK TZIMMES
Roughly chop 1 lb baby carrots.
Dump into pan.
Drizzle with honey and lemon juice.
Add a cup or so of water.
Cover tightly.
Stick in oven and bake until you remember it.
(Anyone who is eating this is eating it for the minhag, so how it tastes is not as relevant.)

POTATO KUGEL
(This recipe takes close to 10 minutes, but you have WAY too many dishes to wash, so it is considered a Big Deal.)
Peel about 6 jumbo potatoes. (Smaller sizes should be outlawed for most purposes.) Rinse.
Peel 1 medium or large onion.
Get large bowl ready with 6 eggs, a few glugs of oil, 1.5-2 tsp salt, and pepper. It's nice to pre-mix this but not fully necessary.
Make sure food processor blade is set to GRATE. (This recipe does NOT work well with sliced potatoes.)
If your feed tube is small, half or quarter your potatoes and onion.
Turn on food processor, and feed onion, then potatoes through. (If your food processor bowl is as small as mine, stop halfway through and dump mostly full processor bowl into your eggs and mix a little before continuing, because overflowing potato juice makes this take longer.)
Mix potato/onion/egg mixture well. Be a good mommy and remove any large unshredded pieces of potato or onion that you see.
Pour mixture into foil pan that is set on cookie sheet (for stability).
Bake uncovered for at least an hour.
(Yes, I know you are supposed to drain your shredded potatoes, preheat your pan, etc. This is yummy even without all that.)

SWEET POTATO PIE
Peel 3-4 LARGE sweet potatoes. Cube roughly (they cook faster).
Put into pot and JUST cover with water. Cover pot loosely.
Put on stove and turn to medium or high.
Boil for 10-20 minutes or until you notice that they are soft.
Drain most of the water.
Add some brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice mix (or cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger).
Get your immersion blender ready.
Add 2-4 eggs and blend fast before they cook. (hard boiled egg in pie is not so appetizing looking)
Pour mixture into 2 frozen pie crusts (not graham cracker, it's not as good).
Bake for a half hour or until crust is browning.

BROWNIE PIE
Prepare Duncan Hines brownie mix (dark chocolate is best, but chewy fudge is fine too) according to package directions (the lower number of eggs).
Pour into graham cracker crust.
Bake. (It takes longer than the package claims.)

CHERRY CAKE
(This recipe does require measuring, sigh.)
In mixing bowl, put 4 eggs, 3 cups flour, 2 cups of sugar, 1 cup of OJ or water, and 1/2 cup of oil.
Add 2 tsp of baking powder, and 1 tsp of vanilla.
Mix well with mixer or by hand.
Pour into pan.
Open can of cherry pie filling.
Randomly dollop most of can over cake batter, and hand the rest of can to kids to eat.
With a dinner knife, "slice" through pan vertically and horizontally to swirl cherry mixture through cake.
Bake for about an hour or when top is golden to medium brown.

LEMON PIE
(This tastes like cheesecake!)
Defrost 1 carton of rich's whip (8 oz) or equivalent. (I just double the recipe if I'm using a 16 oz carton so I don't have to measure half.) The defrosting part does take longer than 10 minutes unfortunately.
Pour whip into mixing bowl.
Add 4 eggs, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1/4 cup lemon juice.
Mix with immersion blender until sugar is basically incorporated. (Try not to overmix because it grows in volume and will overflow your pie crust which is just annoying.)
Put graham cracker crust on baking sheet for stability. (Optionally line baking sheet with foil for easier cleanup if you're a messy cook like me.)
Pour mixture into crust. It may reach the top.
Bake for 30 minutes. It may still look uncooked in the middle, but firms up some when cool.
(Some of my kids like it frozen.)

CRANBERRY APPLE PIE
In small bowl, put about 1 cup each of flour and sugar, and about 1/2 cup oil.
Add some cinnamon and mix for crumble.
Pour can of apple pie filling into pie crust.
Dump in some fresh or frozen cranberries.
Top with crumble.
Bake till it looks ready.

(I could keep going.)

Love your directions!

I do the sweet potato and to make it even easier I use one large can of yams. No cooking required. (I reduce the sugar because they are in sweet syrup in the can).

dena613

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 11:53 am
Amother hosta I love how you write! What a great sense of humor!

Dina2018

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 3:19 pm
dena613 wrote:
Amother hosta I love how you write! What a great sense of humor!
love it too!

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 4:22 pm
Dina2018 wrote:
love it too!

Me three! THANK YOU!

CatLady

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 4:59 pm
Hosta, please start a food blog. Your voice as a writer is a delight, and there's a market for easy, achievable recipes.

amother
Currant

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 5:32 pm
amother [ Hosta ] wrote:

SESAME SPAGHETTI
Fill pot about 2/3 with water. Cover, and put on stove. Turn [the correct] burner to high.
When water is at a rolling boil, TURN OFF burner.

Anyone else want to know what was censored here LOL

cbsp

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 6:05 pm
amother [ Currant ] wrote:

Oh, I didn't read it as being censored. I read it as another example of the humor (ya know, you put the pot on the stove and come back 20 minutes later wondering why the water didn't boil...)

Last edited by cbsp on Mon, Aug 30 2021, 7:12 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Hosta

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 3:13 am
amother [ Currant ] wrote:

What was censored was my reaction to realizing that I turned on the wrong burner! I don't think it belongs on a frum website. Wink

SnowLeopard

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 11:31 am
Amazing thread! I just saved a bunch of these recipes! Thanks!

SnowLeopard

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 11:46 am
Broccoli
Put frozen bag of broccoli in 9x13, spray/drizzle with oil, add salt, pepper, and garlic spice and if you want, add whatever Trader Joe’s spices you like (I like South African smoke or everyday seasoning on this). Roast at 400 till it smells good

Roasted potatoes
Get a bag of those tiny 2-bite potatoes, cut in half, put in large ziploc bag with oil and a packet of Italian seasoning, move around bag to mix. Put in pan and bake uncovered at 400 till crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside.

raich

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 4:37 pm
Amother hosta, you rock!

Easiest Roast Ever:

Buy a jar of Bone Suckin Sauce.

Pour over roast (I like to use silvertip)

Let it marinate for a few hours, then turn over and let marinate some more.

Bake covered for many hours.

Slice once cooled.

The end!

amother
Lily

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 6:07 pm
Goodman's rice and vermicelli in a box is yum. You'll need two. I usually don't use all the spice mix and use less water.

Near east makes many varieties of rice pilaf and quinoa and couscous that are delicious. Couscous doesn't even need to be cooked, just pour boiling water on it.

Premade breaded cauliflower or broccoli from the freezer section. Just bake on a sheet pan

Frozen bourekas

amother
Nemesia

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 12:57 am
amother [ Clover ] wrote:

Cabbage and noodles - put 2 bags of cabbage in 9x13, add 1/4 cup oil and dash of salt, pepper and sugar. Mix, cover tightly and Bake at 350 for 1.5 hours
Add to 2 bags of egg bow tie shapes noodles
Freezes well

Made this. Did half the recipe with only one pack of cabbage and noodles cuz didn't think my kids would like it. They loved it and asked for doubles. Wanna make more iyh. Was very easy to make. Thank you.

amother
Nemesia

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 1:04 am
amother [ Hosta ] wrote:

LEMON PIE
(This tastes like cheesecake!)
Defrost 1 carton of rich's whip (8 oz) or equivalent. (I just double the recipe if I'm using a 16 oz carton so I don't have to measure half.) The defrosting part does take longer than 10 minutes unfortunately.
Pour whip into mixing bowl.
Add 4 eggs, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1/4 cup lemon juice.
Mix with immersion blender until sugar is basically incorporated. (Try not to overmix because it grows in volume and will overflow your pie crust which is just annoying.)
Put graham cracker crust on baking sheet for stability. (Optionally line baking sheet with foil for easier cleanup if you're a messy cook like me.)
Pour mixture into crust. It may reach the top.
Bake for 30 minutes. It may still look uncooked in the middle, but firms up some when cool.
(Some of my kids like it frozen.)

I made this. Looks and smells delicious. Needed more like 40-50 min bake time.
Any ideas how I can top/garnish it? If I can get it to look nice I'll send one to my new neighbor.

Oif.Simchas.

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 1:07 am
Best thread ever!

amother
Tanzanite

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 1:49 am
Scotty wrote:
1. Pulled beef: BEST EVER. line crockpot with tons of sliced onions. Put in brisket or deckel. (Brisket is smoother but more $$, deckel is delicious too.) pour in soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, ketchup, spices, some brown sugar or honey (if you don’t have all the above just do some sweet some savory.) put on low overnight. (I do it after seuda for next day, leave crockpot on all YT and wash crock out in between). Tear meat apart with two forks and serve in a big bowl with a (lettuce) salad and potato kugel (or maybe put potatoes in crock alongside). I have yet to meet anyone who doesn’t go crazy about this recipe!!!!!

Are you able to give estimates for this recipe? Approximate quantities? Thanks

Raisin

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 4:37 am
I just made this for shabbos, it was really good and easy and its a main and side in one. I fried my own onions so that added a few minutes but skipped the mushrooms. I also thought it looked a bit pale so let in cook uncovered for about half an hour after it was finished. https://betweencarpools.com/9-.....-out/

Super easy roast. I do this with minute but chuck or anything works. Slice a bunch of onions. Season roast with salt, pepper, nutmeg. Put onions and roast (you do not need to brown meat or onions!!!!) in roasting bag and add 1 cup or so of red wine. Close bag and let it cook on low 140-50 celsius for 3 hours.

You can adjust this method to any spices and liquid if you want. Here is another.

Brisket recipe: Blend 1 jar apricot jam, 3/4 bottle beer, 2 cm fresh ginger, 4 galric cloves, 1/2 tsp chili powder, t tbsp vinegar. Pour into roasting bag with meat and cook as above.

Also, instead of matza balls I find my family are pretty happy with noodles, and osem croutons of course. Saves a bunch of time.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 6:21 am
Make knaidelach straight into the chicken soup after the soup has cooked for a while already

amother
Strawberry

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 6:30 am
Buy kneidlach! No one will know!
Page 2 of 11   Previous  1  2  3   9  10  11  Next Recent Topics