Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Trader Joe’s parve ice cream - defrosted and refrozen

bargainlover

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 6:50 pm
Can I use for anything now or it’s garbage? Freezer was left open Sad

amother
Burntblack

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 6:52 pm
bargainlover wrote:
Can I use for anything now or it’s garbage? Freezer was left open Sad

Yes, assuming it wasn’t left out overnight in a boiling hot house.

bargainlover

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 10:18 pm
amother [ Burntblack ] wrote:
Yes, assuming it wasn’t left out overnight in a boiling hot house.

It wasn’t, it was melted but not too hot. Do I have to do anything to make it test normal now that defrosted and refrozen?

Amarante

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 10:25 pm
Once ice cream has been defrosted, the texture is terrible as it gets ice crystals.

I would melt it so that it is soft and serve it with some fruit like a whip cream.

I had several pints of Haagen Daaz that it happened to and I had to toss them because it was silly to waste calories on such unappealing food.

bargainlover

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 10:12 am
Would it work to re-whip it up? And mix for another dessert?

Chayalle

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 10:14 am
I had a container of Trader Joe's in my freezer last year during a blackout. It was totally killed, the texture was awful.

I sometimes make flavored icecream with the vanilla - I add 1/4 cup frozen cranberries, or 3-4 kiwis, with a little sugar, to a container. I do it in the food processor, and I work as quickly as possible so it shouldn't defrost and loose it's texture.

bargainlover

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 10:27 am
Chayalle wrote:
I had a container of Trader Joe's in my freezer last year during a blackout. It was totally killed, the texture was awful.

I sometimes make flavored icecream with the vanilla - I add 1/4 cup frozen cranberries, or 3-4 kiwis, with a little sugar, to a container. I do it in the food processor, and I work as quickly as possible so it shouldn't defrost and loose it's texture.

Ok thanks! I guess I have my answer - the trash Sad
Gam zu Le Tova!

Amarante

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 10:27 am
The reason why ice cream is terrible when it is frozen again after defrosting is that when you actually make ice cream, you make it in a manner that prevents ice crystals from forming. In a home setting that it why you have a device that keeps it constantly moving as it freezes and a commercial company freezes it at super low temperatures so crystals don't have time to form although some high quality companies do also churn somewhat. I am a sucker for television programs that show how food is made - I never cease to be amazed by all those conveyer belts squirting exactly the right amount and then doing all of the other steps untouched by human hands. And the lines that flip and ice the cookies or candies. LOL

Your home freezer doesn't freeze quickly enough. It is also why freezing meat or fish or poultry also degrades the quality of the food because ice crystals form and they break up the food. I am not a fan of frozen fish at all but commercially frozen fish is done in a way that isn't as harmful to the food's texture.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 10:34 am
I wonder if it would be possible to actually re-whip it once it was frozen. I've had recipes that do this - you make an icecream in a shallow pan, and then once it's frozen, you break it up and put it thru the food processor and it becomes creamy.

But not sure it's worth the effort here....and never tried this with Trader Joe's.

sevengirl

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 10:54 am
I actually have a recipe for sorbet cups Where are you defrost the ice cream and the sorbet and you layer them

Amarante

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 12:26 pm
sevengirl wrote:
I actually have a recipe for sorbet cups Where are you defrost the ice cream and the sorbet and you layer them

In my experience, these types of recipes just use softened ice cream and not melted ice cream.

If ice cream is just softened for a dessert it is generally okay when hardened up but when ice cream is melted or nearly mush and is refrozen the result is just a lot of ice crystals and it is very unpleasant to eat.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics