Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Uniform shirts when your kid is plus size
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Diamond

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 7:15 pm
There is a new uniform store in Lkwd called uniform Shoppe. Next door to cookie corner. Call them.
I have to tailor dd uniforms. I look at it as an investment. I can leave it but she’ll look messy for a full year. Instead I spend $200 on uniforms and $100 on alterations and she looks near for 170 days. It’s good bang for ur buck

cookies6

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 7:39 pm
I just discovered that the brand BY styles makes husky shirts. Way more comfortable for my daughter and no gap between the buttons. You can order from their website.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 8:48 pm
cookies6 wrote:
I just discovered that the brand BY styles makes husky shirts. Way more comfortable for my daughter and no gap between the buttons. You can order from their website.
Someone recommended them to me on this thread as being cut slightly wider. The color we need doesn’t come in plus size. I did order one from their regular sizes, let’s see how it fits.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Thu, Aug 26 2021, 8:55 pm
I bought my daughter the plus size Childrens place uniform shirts. Really cheap & amazing fit.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 11:58 am
amother [ NeonGreen ] wrote:
I bought my daughter the plus size Childrens place uniform shirts. Really cheap & amazing fit.
They don’t have the color we need.

amother
Mulberry

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 7:48 pm
amother [ Alyssum ] wrote:
They don’t call it plus size they usually label it “cut B” or something
The store owners will say something like - oh I have a diff cut that might suit better
There’s no labeling or word “plus” anywhere snd the shirt is indistinguishable from a slim cut

Exactly. I've also been heavy since I was a kid and wore the bigger cuts. It's just part of life, unfortunately. Aside from the way it's cut though, there are girls who for whatever reason are given permission to wear a polo style and all the other girls (at least in primary grades) are jealous. Just like they all wish they could do OT/speech in school. It doesn't seem to be an embarrassing thing.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Aug 28 2021, 9:32 pm
amother [ Alyssum ] wrote:
THANK YOU for posting this

we have the same problem! Last year I paid OVER $120 FOR ALTERING THREE SHIRTS (on top of buying them of course) and trust me they didn’t even look that good. They were so huge we needed to do shoulders, tack in sleeves, and shorten sleeves AND shirt… it was hard.

Then mid year she outgrew them and…

WE WENT TO DIFFERENT STORE W DIFF BRANDS AND SHIRTS FIT HER OFF THE RACK!!!

So I would say try a diff brand shirt - some are just cut right. One store swore up and down u had no choice but to alter a huge size, while the second shop pulled it off the rack and it fit her like a charm!

(I hate that I can’t buy landsend bec we have striped shirts not solid)

It’s ridiculous. I see the student body (pun intended) and we are not the only ones with this body type what is up!!!!!

Don’t get me started on skirts….

About talking about it - I’ll say something like “ooh that probably feels pinch-ey let’s get one that’s more comfortable, I want you to feel comfortable”. She’s 10 and is unhappy with her body but at least this gives her comfort to focus on not size or shape or whatever!!!!

And yeah I learned to close my eyes and just pay. Whatever it costs, she needs this to survive. I just paid $120 for a shabbos dress (not counting shell) from dillards that makes her look like a queen…. That’s what it costs. It’s like buying whole wheat bread or veg - yeah it’s more $$ but it’s necessary so I don’t even pause at the tag anymore.
The weird thing is my kid isn’t even that overweight. She’s a little chubby, and carries some extra weight around her middle but nothing craaazy. I usually manage to find her clothing without having to do major alterations by sizing up a little, and choosing more forgiving styles.. So it’s hard for me to understand how uniform places get away with such restrictive styles. I’m honestly puzzled.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 2:51 pm
Thank you to whomever recommended BY styles. I ordered from their website and was able to get a smaller size shirt that fit much better at the sleeves and shoulder and still buttoned nicely over her middle. We folded the cuffs over once and the sleeves look perfect. She looked great for her first day. It was very appreciated.

amother
Marigold

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 3:12 pm
So happy it worked out for you!!
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics