Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
S/O-Do you have/wear an Apple Watch?
Previous  1  2

amother
Hibiscus

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 6:52 am
I work in a hospital as a provider, and I find it useful. It tracks my steps, let’s me know if I have an important message or phone call if my phone is on my desk or in my lab coat. And it’s great for counting respirations.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 6:55 am
I don’t. I don’t understand the draw. Can you speak on it like a phone?

watergirl

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 7:00 am
allthingsblue wrote:

Yes! I also do not understand the draw but I was curious because so many of my friends have them. I started it watching YouTube videos about what it can do and I was sold. I really find it more freeing ironically.

Elfrida

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 7:04 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Also love being able to look at my wrist and see what the weather is (I set it as part of my watch face so I don’t need to press anything to see it.)

I find that looking out of the window is a very good way to see what the weather is. I don't need to press anything, either.

More seriously, does one wear an apple watch on Shabbos? I don't think I would want to be wearing an interactive electronic device then, even if it was set up to function purely as a watch. Do you switch to a,regular watch on Shabbos and Yom Tov?

amother
NeonYellow

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 7:08 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Oh no! How long did you have it for before it broke and what happened?

I have it since 2017, but it went through the wash at some point (did not break) I used it for a few months afterwards, but it must have damaged the battery somehow. . for some reason it is not charging, gives me that wire picture with charge which people call the green or red snake of doom.. ( I may take it to the apple store once, but searching google taught me that its usually $400ish to fix)

essie14

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 7:32 am
I have a Fitbit which also shows who is calling me, but I can't answer from it.
Will probably upgrade to a Samsung smart watch soon. DH has one and loves it

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 7:50 am
I got and returned one after using it a day or two. Not nearly as functional as a fit bit. Bad battery life too. Going back to Fitbit.

watergirl

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 7:55 am
Elfrida wrote:
I find that looking out of the window is a very good way to see what the weather is. I don't need to press anything, either.

More seriously, does one wear an apple watch on Shabbos? I don't think I would want to be wearing an interactive electronic device then, even if it was set up to function purely as a watch. Do you switch to a,regular watch on Shabbos and Yom Tov?

Apple watch is totally muktza in every way (all smart watches are), so smart watch wearers do not wear them on shabbos unless they are wearing it for medical necessity with a psak. I wear a regular watch on shabbos.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 8:44 am
No -- apple is gathering and marketing and selling enough info already Wink

amother
Oleander

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 9:24 am
Chickensoupprof wrote:
No, also don't need that as a status, same thing that I don't want to wear a Rolex. Rolexes are for maffia like criminals and shady businessmen.

This isn’t the movies!!! I know some guys in real life who have a Rolex and they are neither of those!!! Far from it actually!! Personally didn’t think an Apple Watch was a status thing! I use a Fitbit but I am considering switching in the future!

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 9:26 am
Best thing about it for me- I use it to wake me up in the morning. It vibrates on my wrist. Super way to get out of bed without waking anybody else up. Don’t find it super practical otherwise….

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 2:50 pm
allthingsblue wrote:

Definitely. Can also send and read texts. You can even send WhatsApp voice notes if you download a special app.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 02 2021, 2:52 pm
watergirl wrote:
I got mine because my friends told me it actually does the opposite - it frees me from my phone and all of the distractions. It does not have an internet browser but you can look at emails and texts. Whatsapp is a weird situation on apple watch; you can read and reply but cant start a message and no voice notes or pictures come through. Any muted chats don’t come through, so only a few whatsapps come through for me (I have all groups muted). It’s meant for quick interactions. With my phone, when I get a text, it’s already in my hand so I find that I am checking all the other things when really I was just going to reply to a text. Its hard to explain what I mean with that. With my watch, I feel so free for example at a shiur when my son is home alone, if he needs me he will text (not whatsapp) and I will feel the vibration and look at my wrist. No phone in my hand, it’s in my purse. With just a phone in the same scenario, I found myself holding the phone so I would know when he sent a text…. And then found myself glancing at the phone throughout the shiur, tapping facebook, etc. it was super distracting. Thats not an issue with my watch and it gives me great peace of mind.

I know a yeshiva principal that has one with cellular so he can leave his phone at home and only communicate through his watch. He loves it. I assume because it’s less distracting like you’re saying.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics